Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello, if I switch from my designare z390 to its references below, will it work?
and is my corsair memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (1x32GB) DDR4 3000MHz C16 - black
will be compatible?

thanks in advance

ROG Maximus XIII Hero Carte mère gaming Intel LGA 1200 ATX, 14+2 phases d'alimentation, PCIe 4.0, WiFi 6E, 2xIntel 2.5Gb Ethernet, Quad M.2, Thunderbolt 4, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, Aura Sync RGB lighting)

Intel Core i9-11900K processeur 3,5 GHz 16 Mo Smart Cache Boîte

Hello, if I switch from my designare z390 to its references below, will it work?
and is my corsair memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (1x32GB) DDR4 3000MHz C16 - black
will be compatible?

thanks in advance

ROG Maximus XIII Hero Carte mère gaming Intel LGA 1200 ATX, 14+2 phases d'alimentation, PCIe 4.0, WiFi 6E, 2xIntel 2.5Gb Ethernet, Quad M.2, Thunderbolt 4, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, Aura Sync RGB lighting)

Intel Core i9-11900K processeur 3,5 GHz 16 Mo Smart Cache Boîte

what you mean by "will it work?" ? The EFI folder?

Each motherboard needs custom bootloader configuration

Switching to a completely new 11th gen system will not work with the EFI folder from the Z390 Designare. The CPU and chipset are completely different and Apple has never used those in any Mac they make. You'd have to create your own new EFI for that.

Thank you, I misspoke.

I wonder if an EFI is available and works with this configuration.
Do you know where I can find if there is the EFI folder of this configuration.

Or should I use the same as the one I use with my Z390 by creating with hackindrom the final configuration with the Z590 card

Thank you.

Do you notice better performance with the 6900? I'm tempted to trade up my RVII while the market is high assuming I can actually find a 6900. I know it benches higher but I haven't seen any reports of benefits in real world use yet.
Sorry, have been away on vacation, looks like I've missed a lot here over the last few days!

So it definitely "feels" faster, but I can't give you something concrete. I really wasn't expecting much with the early version of the drivers, but I would say that performance is better. If you give me a specific encoding scenario, I can give it a whirl. I'm interested to see if I get any benefit from using the RVII as eGPU with the 6900, or just dedicate that to my laptop.
For the first time, I've setup a separate drive to test out the public beta's. This way I can check performance with Premiere with the upcoming releases.

Thank you, I misspoke.

I wonder if an EFI is available and works with this configuration.
Do you know where I can find if there is the EFI folder of this configuration.

Or should I use the same as the one I use with my Z390 by creating with hackindrom the final configuration with the Z590 card

Thank you.
Actually there is an EFI for the ASUS Z590 ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO. We managed to get Thunderbolt hot plug to work as well. You may need to tweak the EFI little bit. For example, add your own Serial Number, System UUID, ROM, and Board Serial Number in PlatformInfo --> DataHub - Generic. OpenCore Configurator can do that. This EFI, however, is for an older version of OpenCore.
You may also try the attached EFI that I've updated for OpenCore 0.7.0.

NOTE: There is no USB port map. You should create this yourself. Please see this guide.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 80
** Importing Mac Thunderbolt PEI/DXE Drivers into Gigabyte BIOS **
Experiment Update #1

Hi @CaseySJ

My first pre-beta testing customised firmware is ready, it include minimum PEI/DXE add-on, not DSDT and SSDT patches and no structure modification, you keep all you have now.

It is based on my last submitted firmware with last CPU MicroCodes :)

Awesome — will test the new BIOS today!!
I know there's a lot of interest in this experiment so I'll provide regular updates.

UPDATE #1:
  • Preparation:
    • Made a backup of the motherboard BIOS with a CH341a SPI ROM reader. This is just a precaution.
    • Flashed the new BIOS using Q-Flash (from BIOS Setup). An external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer is not needed because Elias has modified the new BIOS to be recognized/validated by Q-Flash.
    • Installed a modified Thunderbolt SSDT that removes all device properties except the two basic ones:
      • PCI-Thunderbolt
      • PciHotplugCapable
  • Configuration:
    • My Z390 Designare Test Bench has the following configuration:
      • Titan Ridge NVM33 modified firmware (from March 2020)
      • BIOS --> Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
      • All BIOS parameters same as Post #1
      • Big Sur 11.5 Public Beta 2
    • This configuration may be different from Elias'.
  • Results:
    • All Thunderbolt NHI (Native Host Interface) device properties are automatically populated as shown below. This is the first time we've seen this in Hackintosh history! This includes:
      1. pathcr
      2. TBTDPLowToHigh
      3. TBTFlags
      4. linkDetails
      5. ThunderboltUUID
      6. pathcrumbsv2 (this is typically created when a Thunderbolt device is connected before boot)
      7. ThunderboltDROM
      8. sccOffset
      9. ThunderboltConfig
    • The Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter does not (yet) work in Big Sur. This may be due to one or more configuration differences as noted above.
    • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro works correctly.
Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 9.34.13 AM.png

Next update soon.

Last edited:
I know there's a lot of interest in this experiment so I'll provide regular updates.

UPDATE #1:
  • Preparation:
    • Made a backup of the motherboard BIOS with a CH341a SPI ROM reader. This is just a precaution.
    • Flashed the new BIOS using Q-Flash (from BIOS Setup). An external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer is not needed because Elias has modified the new BIOS to be recognized through Q-Flash.
    • Installed a modified Thunderbolt SSDT that removes all device properties except the two basic ones:
      • PCI-Thunderbolt
      • PciHotplugCapable
  • Configuration:
    • My Z390 Designare Test Bench has the following configuration:
      • Titan Ridge NVM33 modified firmware (from March 2020)
      • BIOS --> Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
      • All BIOS parameters same as Post #1
      • Big Sur 11.5 Public Beta 2
    • This configuration may be different from Elias'.
  • Results:
    • All Thunderbolt device properties are automatically populated as shown below.
    • The Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter does not (yet) work in Big Sur. This may be due to one or more configuration differences as noted above.
    • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro works correctly.
View attachment 521670

Next update soon.
Hi CaseySJ - hope all is good here - just dropping by and can see there's been a few updates.. In regards to this new BIOS - do you think it may affect a Pi/Modded TB board in any way? Possibly?

Hi CaseySJ - hope all is good here - just dropping by and can see there's been a few updates.. In regards to this new BIOS - do you think it may affect a Pi/Modded TB board in any way? Possibly?
The purpose of this experiment is to improve overall Thunderbolt compatibility and reliability by making use of specific drivers from the Mac's motherboard firmware (BIOS). The new BIOS works in conjunction with a Thunderbolt controller that has been placed in OS-Managed mode such that Thunderbolt Bus has been enabled.

The new BIOS should also work with Thunderbolt controllers in standard ICM or Internal Connection Manager mode (i.e. Thunderbolt Bus is not enabled), but in this case the new BIOS may not provide any benefit whatsoever.

So in summary:
  • If System Information --> Thunderbolt says "No Drivers are Loaded" or "No Hardware Found" then the new BIOS will not be of any help.

Last edited:
Back