Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

Hey Casey, hope you're doing well. Some time ago, you mentioned in a reply to me that Gigabyte was testing a new BIOS update internally that may finally address the problems we've had with F9j. I'm curious, do you have any news to share, or a source we can learn more from?
Hello @wessberg,

Gigabyte may release a newer BIOS, but there's no compelling reason to wait for it. We can happily install F9g or F9i.

Hello @wessberg,

Gigabyte may release a newer BIOS, but there's no compelling reason to wait for it. We can happily install F9g or F9i.
One reason is Resizable BAR support, which is nice for dual boot systems (even though it must be toggled on/off as you need it). You mentioned they were testing a new BIOS version. Do you have any more details to share about this?

So... I decided to post here and see if someone might be able to figure out why or why not and if it is a TB3 issue. I'm including the info anyone might need to investigate and if more info is needed just let me know. I am by no means a hardware hacker so this is stuff above my pay grade.
Hello @digumo,

In most cases there is very little if anything that we can do when a specific Thunderbolt device fails to work fully. Some suggestions would be:
  • Install latest drivers
  • Consider flashing the Thunderbolt firmware to enable Thunderbolt Bus (understand the risks involved)
  • Search the web or Blackmagic community forums to see if others have found and perhaps fixes the problem

One reason is Resizable BAR support, which is nice for dual boot systems (even though it must be toggled on/off as you need it). You mentioned they were testing a new BIOS version. Do you have any more details to share about this?
Until a new version is officially released, Gigabyte does not provide any information. They are, however, testing F9k. A beta version has been posted on TweakTown. I think some of our users tried it, but had to revert to earlier BIOS due to some functionality that broke.

Without flashing my (this thread's build) Thunderbolt, I wonder if one of the reasons that my UAD and MultiDock work so well is that I have Thunderbolt Security set to User Authorization. Perhaps the system doesn't allow unauthorized access to the CPU via Thunderbolt? FWIW, I boot my system via a Thunderbolt SSD. Nothing is daisy-chained.

Edit: Now testing F9k.

Last edited:
Anyone has problems with FCPX? i have this error in console + FCPX freezes from time to time.

1623068236098.png

*** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver _warnAboutNSObjectInAllowedClasses]: NSSecureCoding allowed classes list contains [NSObject class], which bypasses security by allowing any Objective-C class to be implicitly decoded. Consider reducing the scope of allowed classes during decoding by listing only the classes you expect to decode, or a more specific base class than NSObject. This will be disallowed in the future.

Looks like an external plugin causes this issue
Are all your plugins updated to be compatible with your FCPX version?
All i have is frame.io. I will try to disable it. I do not think it can cause troubles like this. At the same time with application error in console, system log shows this
VTDecoderXPCService[1258]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Changing target queue hierarchy after xpc connection was activated; set a breakpoint on _dispatch_bug_deprecated to debug
1623071294564.png

Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.7.0 Released **

Due to WWDC keynote, I'll create the 0.7.0 Mini-Guide in a day or so. Enjoy the show!

Back