Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I guess the @AlexD SSDT just inject Orinoco FB, isn't it? I'm no expert but I don't think it's supposed to fail. Did you rebuild the kext caches, maybe it could help...
We rebuild the kernel cache when installing a kext into /Library/Extensions. SSDTs, however, function independently of this.

Yeah, but here's the thing: I don't really know what is happening if "Auto" is selected, because the BIOS is making adjustments according to how the CPU is clocked. My Geek Bench and CineBench scores are nice and the machine is really solid for Pro Tools 2021. Intel Power Gadget indicates that the machine is not slammed at idle, so at least some power saving is happening. FWIW, the RAM I purchased was "native" 2666 MHz on purpose, so that I would have some flexibiity. I have not flashed my Thunderbolt. My setup is a 100% stock @CaseySJ setup.
So I had him set the settings to Disabled on as UA recommended. They were previously on Auto.

We'll see how the pops/clicks issue goes but now the computer will NOT shut down. Just immediately restarts!

Has anyone seen this issue?

Is this possibly a C States = Disabled thing?
Or do I need to help him do the Dortania Fix Shutdown/Restart thing?

Thanks in advance!!

We rebuild the kernel cache when installing a kext into /Library/Extensions. SSDTs, however, function independently of this.
Oh, sorry. In my case (Clover FB mod injection), I have to rebuild cache at each change or security updates....

** Custom BIOS F9i with Latest Intel Micro Code, 0xEA **
Credit: @Elias64Fr

WARNING:
Please install
BIOS F9i OFFICIAL version before installing this one
If you are already running BIOS F9i, then you may install the new BIOS directly

Elias has done it again! He has inserted the latest Intel Coffee Lake microcode from Apple's most recent firmware update (part of Big Sur 11.4) into the Gigabyte Z390 Designare F9i BIOS. The latest microcode is version 0xEA and applies to the CPUID 0906 family of 8th and 9th generation Intel Core processors.

Even though the new microcode was released with Big Sur 11.4, it applies to the Intel processor itself and not to any particular operating system. All versions of macOS, Windows, Linux, etc. are compatible.

The resulting file is called Z390DESI_modMC_01052021_0906_Rev_0xEA.F9i, and it's attached below.

As always, the decision to use or not use this BIOS is up to you. It is entirely optional. I have tested the new BIOS for half a day now with no issues.

Capture d’écran 2021-05-27 à 22.11.01.png

Attachments

• Z390DESI_modMC_01052021_0906_Rev_0xEA.F9i.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 383
Last edited:

Elias has done it again! He has inserted the latest Intel Coffee Lake microcode from Apple's most recent firmware update (part of Big Sur 11.4) into the Gigabyte Z390 Designare F9i BIOS. The latest microcode is version 0xEA and applies to the CPUID 0906 family of 8th and 9th generation Intel Core processors.

Even though the new microcode was released with Big Sur 11.4, it applies to the Intel processor itself and not to any particular operating system. All versions of macOS, Windows, Linux, etc. are compatible.

The resulting file is called Z390DESI_modMC_01052021_0906_Rev_0xEA.F9i, and it's attached below.

As always, the decision to use or not use this BIOS is up to you. It is entirely optional. I have tested the new BIOS for half a day now with no issues.

View attachment 519951
Very cool!
What are the benefits/losses of using vs. not using this BIOS?
Also, will there be a way to apply this to another Z390 board?

Very cool!
What are the benefits/losses of using vs. not using this BIOS?
It’s just the latest; that’s all we know about it! All owners of 8th and 9th Gen Intel Macs will get this update without them knowing anything about it. Some details might be available on Intel’s website.

Also, will there be a way to apply this to another Z390 board?
Someone will have to perform the same delicate surgery on other BIOS files.

So I had him set the settings to Disabled on as UA recommended. They were previously on Auto.

We'll see how the pops/clicks issue goes but now the computer will NOT shut down. Just immediately restarts!

Has anyone seen this issue?

Is this possibly a C States = Disabled thing?
Or do I need to help him do the Dortania Fix Shutdown/Restart thing?

Thanks in advance!!
IDK. It's hard to say about your friend's machine because we don't have a build signature. When in doubt, follow the Dortania guide, I suppose. Your friend might want to sign up and join the TonyMacx86 group.

Hi @CaseySJ -I tried flashing the BIOS with this file: It gets halfway through and the Q-Flash screen freezes. Is there a trick since it's updating the firmware?

Try clicking the link that I posted and see if you want to fix any of the errors reported there.
Wow, thank you. I am lagging behind too far, and had no idea about sanity check. The detail is amazing.

However, my OC version is 0.6.9, and the sanity is 0.6.6. Is there a critical difference?

Back