Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi, Casey! One question: how do you get motherboard name reading in HWMonitorSMC2 (i mean Z490 VISION D) ?
I'm asking this because mine is showing "Main Logic Board" rather than "Z390 AORUS XTREME-CF"
This has changed after i've upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur and replaced Clover with OpenCore (0.6.9)
My board is a bit different, however my EFI based on yours for Designare with only few slight changes.
Thanks in advance ;)
Hello @dfirst75,

Simply change Expose Sensitive Data to 14 as shown. This is in the Misc --> Security section of the OpenCore config.plist.
Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 4.21.25 PM.png

Please check how much power your RX 580 is drawing. When I open HWMonitorSMC2 and leave it alone for 3 seconds, I get an idle power draw of 19W to 22W without doing anything (i.e. without SSDT).

I have the MSI RX 580 Gaming X. Other cards might exhibit different behavior.

View attachment 519845
Here goes...

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 20.40.32.png

Ahh! So you've used Auto on all of the UA recommended disables and everything is solid with your UA interface(s)?
What about your Thunderbolt settings if you don't mind?
Yeah, but here's the thing: I don't really know what is happening if "Auto" is selected, because the BIOS is making adjustments according to how the CPU is clocked. My Geek Bench and CineBench scores are nice and the machine is really solid for Pro Tools 2021. Intel Power Gadget indicates that the machine is not slammed at idle, so at least some power saving is happening. FWIW, the RAM I purchased was "native" 2666 MHz on purpose, so that I would have some flexibiity. I have not flashed my Thunderbolt. My setup is a 100% stock @CaseySJ setup.

Attachments

• iGPU-settings.gif
    iGPU-settings.gif
    73.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Thunderbolt-Settings_A.gif
    Thunderbolt-Settings_A.gif
    63.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Thunderbolt-Settings_B.gif
    Thunderbolt-Settings_B.gif
    59.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Yeah, but here's the thing: I don't really know what is happening if "Auto" is selected, because the BIOS is making adjustments according to how the CPU is clocked. My Geek Bench and CineBench scores are nice and the machine is really solid for Pro Tools 2021. Intel Power Gadget indicates that the machine is not slammed at idle, so at least some power saving is happening. FWIW, the RAM I purchased was "native" 2666 MHz on purpose, so that I would have some flexibiity.
Thanks for this. Wild that these TB settings work well! In just about every TB bios guide I always see that it should be No Security instead of User Authorization as well as GPIO3 needs to be Enabled.
I’ll have him give these a shot!

I ended up removing the RX 580 patch because it slowed down Compressor way too much. (OS 10.14.6)
That's interesting. I've tested my Sapphire RX 580 Pulse in FCPX 10.5.2 in macOS 11.4 with and without Orinoco FrameBuffer injection.
Test file was 4 minutes screen recording of macOS Drift screensaver.
1440p, 60fps. Below are the results. All tests were done 3 times each, to make sure numbers are predictable.

Seems like they improved video drivers in latest macOS versions.
I'm not seeing any slowdowns at all, but rather the opposite.

Export to HEVC, 1080p, 30fps:
Orinoco framebuffer (SSDT injected) – 01:54 / 01:55 / 01:54
Default framebuffer - 01:55 / 01:56 / 01:55

Export to H264, 1080p, 30fps:
Orinoco framebuffer (SSDT injected) – 02:36 / 02:37 / 02:36
Default framebuffer - 02:58 / 02:59 / 02:59

I have this Designare build with the latest OpenCore version. I applied Casey's guides exactly and everything runs smoothly for more than a year now. There is only one issue with this build that I did not have with my earlier hackintosh based on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UHD3.
I have a PCI-E firewire card (link) and an RME Fireface 400 sound card attached to it. Once in a while, especially with Youtube videos, the sound starts to skip or feedback for a few seconds, sometimes I briefly see the location services prompt in the menu bar when this happens.
Any ideas or advise?

Just to report back: The Fireface 400 works well with the TB3 to TB2 to FF adapters daisy chained. To get it running, I had to supply external power to the card instead through the Firewire bus, which coincidentally also helped with popping noises when switching the setup on and off. I did experience one glitch since installing it this way, but this was already a few weeks ago and did not reoccur again so far.

Sr can any one help me with this :(

Why do you have two USBInjectAll kexts ?

Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 12.15.03.png

Check that your 970 Evo Plus drive has the latest firmware :

Hello @CaseySJ,

I am just tried to update my Hackintosh to Big Sur 11.3.1 and OC 0.6.9 However, I got trouble with OS boot. I did my homework for 2 days without coming up with a proper solution.

CPU 8700
GPU Vega 56
Main: Z390 Designare
SSD
- NVMe Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB (Mac OS)
- SATA WD Blue 500GB (Bootable Backup by CCC - MacOS 10.15.6)
- PCI-e SSD VK001920KWDUH 1.92TB (Main Storage)
- SATA Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB
Monitor: LG Ultrafine 5K
Bios version F9i (CFG-Lock is disable)

My problem:
1/ Boot randomly success to OS. Most of time stuck at 1% of Apple Logo. If I am lucky, I could enter OS after 3 time boot.
2/ About -verbose (sorry for such bad image quality, it showed in just slip seconds so I have to record with slow-motion and recapture):
---- Sometime system shows as image 1.
AppleNVMe Assert failed=0

---- Sometime system shows as image 2.
IOPlatformPanicAction -> IONVMe Controller
IOPlatformPanicAction -> AppleSMC

3/ result after Apple logo is system auto restart again to Gigabyte logo -> GUI

What I tried:
- Flashed BIOS from fw8 to fw F9i
- Set Bios as guide on page 1 for F8 and Newer
- In config.plist -> UEFI -> Quirks -> ReleaseUSBOwnership -> Enable

Attachment:
- current config.plist (removed PlatformInfo)
- snapshot of EFI folder

==" Please help me out, I cannot find a clue for this random issues.
One quick thing to check is whether the Samsung EVO Plus is running a compatible version of firmware. Please see the post below for instructions on determining firmware version. I’ll take a look at your config.plist later in the day.

Back