Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks for your reply.

I bought my Apollo only a few months ago, and I made sure it was updated. There was a new one that came out recently, and then I rolled to that one.

I believe I read all the docs/info before updating. What I do remember is that everything was ideal circumstances, and I followed the correct update path. Looks like I began with v9.13.0 back in October 2020. I'm an update nut, so I always like to keep everything updated ASAP.

Again, all works perfectly in Windows.

Thanks.
Hey. I've been working on few UAD cards - Twin... Silver Apollo with TB, PCI Card but I stay with Mojave and I have never had this problem.

Hello everyone!
Just wanted to ask if anyone was experiencing similar issues with their setups and Big Sur recently.

Since upgrading to Big Sur from Catalina (went straight from 10.15.7 to 11.4 last night) my system freezes after a couple of minutes. Also performed clean install of 11.4 as an alternative way.

Now I'm rolled back to Catalina and everything is fine as it always was before.

In Big Sur Console.app I see constant, repeating messages about XHC3 (that controller we’re injecting via SSDT to enable SSP1 and SSP2 ports) trying to switch between power states without success. After 10 or 15 such repeating blocks system freezes completely.

If I turn off both Thunderbolt USB support and GPIO3 Force Pwr options in BIOS everything is fine again.

I’m thinking that something has changed in macOS 11.3/11.4 in regards of handling various/multiple XHC controllers probably? New port limits or XHC controllers limit?

All ports were properly mapped via USBPorts.kext custom made for my motherboard and case.
I’m also using well-known here TB3HP SSDT for my GC-Alpine Ridge add-in card (non flashed card, all stock).

It was never a problem in Mojave or Catalina, but Big Sur acts differently for my system.
Still trying to figure out what’s happening here.

From time to time i have freezes for a second or two with error message in console:
virtual IOReturn IOAccelEventMachine2::waitForStamp(int32_t, stamp_t, stamp_t *): timeout waiting for AMDRadeonAccelerator stamp 1329486 (gpu_stamp=1329485)

I have Radeon VII with iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS, OC EFI 0.6.9. What is it?

Hello everyone!
Just wanted to ask if anyone was experiencing similar issues with their setups and Big Sur recently.
I feel sorry to post this but it seems like my issue was related to BIOS. And I’m even more sorry about the fact that the warning about this exact problematic BIOS is actually the second highlighted line in first post of this thread.

So I downgraded my Z390 Aorus Pro from F12l to F12k.
Now both SSP1 and SSP2 ports of XHC3 are back and detecting by IORegistryExplorer and Hackintool in Catalina.

I’ll try install 11.4 again and will post an update soon here. Hopefully.

UPDATE:
I'm writing this from successfully installed macOS Big Sur 11.4
All USB ports are detected and working correctly. XHC3 and both SSP1/SSP2 are finally appeared in Hackintool and IORegistryExplorer. No more XHC related errors in Console. No system freezes at all!

Last edited:
Did you do the UAD firmware update from 9141? Or did you jump from an earlier version to v9145?
Thanks to all who posted replies on this issue.

I figured out the problem; it was BIOS settings in "Advanced CPU Settings" (screen shot attached with working settings).

I'm a long time ReasonStudios Reason user, and now am learning Universal Audio's LUNA (which is mind blowing!) FYI - You can use Reason's Rack and all Rack Extensions / Instruments in LUNA!

With the Z390 Designare default BIOS settings, the DSP meter in Reason goes ballistic, very erratic, and Reason is unusable in that condition. Striking a balance, of finding the best configuration combination in Advanced CPU Settings for both Reason and LUNA is crucial.

I've done some quick testing with these settings both with Reason in Windows and LUNA in Big Sur, and no UAD Plug-Ins going into "Disabled" state. NICE!!

@jiffyslot if you wouldn't mind, when you have a moment, could you attach a screen shot of your Advanced CPU Settings? Thanks!

Again, thanks to all for replying about this.

Attachments

• 210526152254 - GOOD! Plug-Ins work in Reason and LUNA! - Settings.jpg
    210526152254 - GOOD! Plug-Ins work in Reason and LUNA! - Settings.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 74
Thanks to all who posted replies on this issue.

I figured out the problem; it was BIOS settings in "Advanced CPU Settings" (screen shot attached with working settings).

I'm a long time ReasonStudios Reason user, and now am learning Universal Audio's LUNA (which is mind blowing!) FYI - You can use Reason's Rack and all Rack Extensions / Instruments in LUNA!

With the Z390 Designare default BIOS settings, the DSP meter in Reason goes ballistic, very erratic, and Reason is unusable in that condition. Striking a balance, of finding the best configuration combination in Advanced CPU Settings for both Reason and LUNA is crucial.

I've done some quick testing with these settings both with Reason in Windows and LUNA in Big Sur, and no UAD Plug-Ins going into "Disabled" state. NICE!!

@jiffyslot if you wouldn't mind, when you have a moment, could you attach a screen shot of your Advanced CPU Settings? Thanks!

Again, thanks to all for replying about this.
Curious about this because I have a friend with a Z390 Aorus Master hackintosh and he keeps having peculiar issues with his Apollo where it makes clicky, popping sounds... but not all the time. Super annoying. Wondering if it's related to these....

He's got a flashed GC-Titan Ridge and everything else seems to be cruising.

Did you experience anything like this? He's on Pro Tools.

Curious about this because I have a friend with a Z390 Aorus Master hackintosh and he keeps having peculiar issues with his Apollo where it makes clicky, popping sounds... but not all the time. Super annoying. Wondering if it's related to these....

He's got a flashed GC-Titan Ridge and everything else seems to be cruising.

Did you experience anything like this? He's on Pro Tools.
That sounds like possibly the hardware relay that is inside some of the UAD equipment. That switches when you change the sample rate, like from 44.1, 48, etc.

You're asking about in macOS, but the following info I provided is about Windows :rolleyes: :

You MUST match that rate with the Windows Sound control panel, Recording, Advanced, Default Format. Whatever he has his apollo set to, make sure Windows matches it.

I think there is an article about this on the UA web site.

Try some of these:

UA Windows Setup Required Settings

For Mac, you could start here:

Mac 01

Why am I getting pops, clicks, and/or distortion in my DAW playback when using UAD plug-ins?

;)

Last edited:
That sounds like possibly the hardware relay that is inside some of the UAD equipment. That switches when your change the sample rate, like from 44.1, 48, etc. You MUST match that rate with the Windows Sound control panel, Recording, Advanced, Default Format. Whatever he has his apollo set to, make sure Windows matches it.

;)
Also... if he is trying to use a sample rate that exceeds his system capabilities, such as 96k, that will happen. Have him test with everything set to 44 and see if the issues go away.

That sounds like possibly the hardware relay that is inside some of the UAD equipment. That switches when you change the sample rate, like from 44.1, 48, etc. You MUST match that rate with the Windows Sound control panel, Recording, Advanced, Default Format. Whatever he has his apollo set to, make sure Windows matches it.

Try some of these:

UA Windows Setup Required Settings

;)
Right but he's on macOS 10.15.7 and mostly in 48k
Likely the BIOS settings need to be set for Windows?

Here's a quote from UA:

"By disabling the following features, your system will run at a constant clock speed and will not halt individual cores:
  • Intel SpeedStep (or EIST)
  • Intel Turbo Boost (or Turbo Mode)
  • C-State Control (or C1E, C3, C6, C7)"
What's interesting is I have all of these enabled on my X299 and have been using Apollo without any hiccups for 3-4 years....

Back