Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Ps @CaseySJ is there really no way to get the 5700xt to work on Mojave?
Unfortunately Apple introduced drivers for the 5000-series GPUs starting with Catalina 10.15.2 if I recall correctly. There is, alas, no support for this driver in Mojave. And it's not possible AFAIK to back-port the driver into Mojave.

@xanderevo

Greetings. I've been using Pro Tools since v4. I have not noticed any significant improvement in any release of Pro Tools to justify an upgrade at any price since the release of Pro Tools 2012. For the first time in 8 years, I won't be renewing my (perpetual) Pro Tools subscription next fall. In Mojave, I can use UAD, Waves, Slate Drums, Vienna Symphonic Library, and UVI plugins. None of these work "better" by running in Big Sur. I'm running Lr4 and Ps CS6 with Alienskin Exposure, Reikan Focal, DxO Viewpoint, and an old Wacom Graphire 3 tablet for retouching.

On my machine, I skipped Catalina and went straight to Big Sur because of the new features in FCPX and Logic. So far, it's not been worth the loss of my 32 bit plugins and the Adobe stuff that is perpetual and paid for.

I'll likely be ditching Adobe CC (LrC & Ps) going back to Mojave where I have Lr4 and Ps (CS6) and a few fully functional plugins that are 32 bit.

If you are having any playback issues in Pro Tools, I have the "disable spindump" scripts that can help a lot. I built this machine specifically for Pro Tools.

Users of Avid ProTools, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Antares Auto-Tune / AVOX, REDCODE Codec

If you use any of the above software/plugins in Catalina on any Hackintosh (regardless of motherboard or CPU type) please let us know if everything works. If so, which version of the software are you using?
As a video editor, I use (among other things) successfully:

Avid Media Composer v2021.5.0 (+ latest AMA plugins which includes RED)
BlackMagic Resolve v17.2.0
Adobe CC; Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, Media Encoder (all latest versions)
Plugins: Boris Continuum Complete, Sapphire (latest versions) and others

I recently switched from Clover to OC 0.6.9 on Catalina 19H1030, OC'd i9-9900k on z390 Designare (no TB flash). Running an Inland Premium m2(unfortunately) as my main drive, and various others as clones/scratch drives, and since I've been working from home since last March, a rotating assortment of USB/Thunderbolt drives. I recently had a job where I had nine! plugged in at the same time (in addition to all my other USB stuff).

I have 64GB RAM (2400MHz unfortunately), a Sapphire Vega 64 internal slot-1, a Sonnett eGFX 650 with a Radeon VII, a BlackMagic Decklink 4k AIC, and (when I go back to the office) a Myricom 10GigE card that connects to Facillis Terrablock. I'm running an LG 5k Ultrafine, and an LG 27UD68, as well as an assortment of color-critical monitors, scopes and audio gear. My SMBIOS is iMacPro1,1.

Everything works and is solid (except TB hot plug b/c I have those SSDTs disabled to use the eGPU in Resolve). I do occasionally get a total machine lockup but it's pretty rare -- I haven't pinned down what it's due to as of yet, as I usually have many applications running all the time -- but I have suspicions it's the Inland M2. I do have native Intel Bluetooth enabled, but I DO NOT have native Intel WiFi enabled.

I frequently live-stream edit sessions (many ALL DAY LONG) using either AVID's native NDI or BlackMagic via full-duplex to OBS Studio-->NDI Virtual Input-->Zoom, using Loopback to mix around my audio signals.

I've had this machine for a few years now, but ran Mojave and Clover during that time. It replaced a Gigabyte z270 UD3 (I believe) with a de-lidded 7700k.

Hope that helps,
J

@SmackAttack : Do you think that the full version of Resolve (Fairlight Module) can replace MC and Pro Tools? Or is the stranglehold too tight?
I've been a devoted Avid guy since the '90s, BUT, I would say that Resolve (Studio) is so far advanced and deep (and affordable) that it WILL take over in some circles I think -- probably ad agencies first, then it will spread like wildfire. I've been really pushing myself to use it not only as a color tool for some time now and it really is a remarkable piece of software. Of course the color tools are insanely amazing, but the editor and media management are pretty great, too. Couple that with Fusion and Fairlight and it's a no-brainer. The Hollywood types may never switch, but most use older versions of MC, so when they start to discover how behind the curve Avid is that may change. My world requires a lot of diversity and resiliency in handling all the new formats, and Avid is a sinking ship in that regard. I personally HATE HATE Premiere (and have since the '90s), but every tool has it's strengths and weaknesses. I am also a serious After Effects user (again, since the '90s), so there just is not substitute for Premiere's integration with that to turn around graphics/type jobs quickly.

As far as Fairlight replacing ProTools, that may not happen for quite awhile, if at all.

J

Last edited:
Hello, @CaseySJ! Quick question: Is it safe (and desirable) to update to 11.4? Thank you very much!

Hi!

I haven't upgraded my OpenCore 0.6.7, and I have old version Big Sur.

Is it safe to upgrade? and is it easier than old procedure (website) than hackindrom app?

Thx

Hi!

I haven't upgraded my OpenCore 0.6.7, and I have old version Big Sur.

Is it safe to upgrade? and is it easier than old procedure (website) than hackindrom app?

Thx
  • It is safe to upgrade to Big Sur 11.4
  • It is safe to upgrade to OpenCore 0.6.9
Always make a full bootable backup first. Because anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible moment. (Murphy's Law)

HackinDROM App makes it much easier to upgrade OpenCore, but please check the HackinDROM mini-guide first.

Back