Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just read that there may be one last i9 Intel iMac coming. A stay of execution for our way?

Hi Casey!

Today I did a clean re-install of Big Sur 11.2.1 because I messed up with my Windows partition. I wipe my whole SSD in the BIOS and did a clean installation with my working EFI files. However, I ended up with two problems.
The first one was in the booting process. I copy my EFI from my old system which is fully tested and make an installation USB based on it. OC version was 0.65
After installation I have three boot option in my BIOS:
1. Old EFI USB
2. New installation USB with same EFI
3. SSD drive where the Big Sur was in, I put the same EFI folder into the EFI partition

I can only boot by #2. Both #1 and #3 will give me black screen with single blinking underscore before the OpenCore boot picker. The blinking underscore will show up right after I exit the bios menu.

The second problem which bothered me more was the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor. (I have a dual monitor set, one is DP based and another is the thunderbolt based LG) It worked perfectly with flashed titan ridge card before re-installation. All I needed was booting into OSX first, reboot, and did a hot replug.
But now, things changed. For the first cold boot, both monitors lit up, like before. Then I reboot, the DP monitor lit up, LG monitor won't lit up but all the USB devices work. At this step, everything is the same. But when I replug the LG display trying to activate the monitor, I wouldn't be able to lit up the screen, and I also lost USB peripheral devices.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated!!! Thank you, sir!

*** Mini-Guide ***
Catalina/Big Sur: Configure Carbon Copy Cloner for One-Key Bootable Backup

Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.​
...​
Thank you for this @CaseySJ !!!

This is GOLD! Just got it all set-up and it ran perfectly.

For any not using this yet and looking for solid back-ups, this is amazing.

Thanks so much to CaseySJ, @byteminer and any others who contribute.

Just read that there may be one last i9 Intel iMac coming. A stay of execution for our way?
There's a gold mine of Mac rumors today! Lots of exciting details. Let's see what the new Intel-based Mac features. It may be an update to Mac Pro or a speed-bumped 27" iMac.

Thank you for this @CaseySJ !!!

This is GOLD! Just got it all set-up and it ran perfectly.

For any not using this yet and looking for solid back-ups, this is amazing.

Thanks so much to CaseySJ, @byteminer and any others who contribute.
Glad to hear it! But please see this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.06.09 AM.png

For the USB Hub yes that's the one, the NZXT AC-IUSBH-M3. No issue with it so far, my internal USB layout is like this :
  • Z390 Designare USB 2.0 header (F_USB)
    • NZXT AC-IUSBH-M3
      1. Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge (USB 2.0 header)
      2. Fenvi FV-T919 (Bluetooth USB header)
      3. Corsair Commander Pro (for which I used this"UPS" fix, a band-aid solution but it works)
        • Lightning Node Pro
      4. Unpopulated
Not issue so far, all connected devices work as expected.

I'm not, what would be the purpose of this ? I do however have an actual second monitor that is sometime plugged directly to the GPU but not at all time and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
My video output layout is like this :
  • AMD Radeon VII
    • DisplayPort Out 1
      • Gigabyte Z390 Designare - DisplayPort In
        • Gigabyte Z390 Designare - Thunderbolt Out (to use the onboard TB ports as video out if needed)
          • Usually unpopulated, sometime connected to the Ultrafine 5k for testing (it works fine except it's in 4k)
    • DisplayPort Out 2
      • Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge - Mini-DP In 1
        • Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge - Thunderbolt Out 1
          • LG Ultrafine 5k
    • DisplayPort Out 3
      • Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge - Mini-DP In 2
        • Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge - Thunderbolt Out 1
          • LG Ultrafine 5k
    • HDMI Out
      • Usually unpopulated, sometime with a WQHD HDMI display as a second monitor.

Hi @zakinster,

Thank you for pointing all of us to the Corsair Commander Pro "fix" for Big Sur! I may be doing something wrong, but I put "CommanderProFix.kext" in EFI/OC/Kexts and updated the NVRAM boot parameters with "-revbeta".

It isn't working as Big Sur still believes a UPS is connected.

I do have a few "iCUE Lighting Node Pro RGB Lighting Controllers" install also. Not sure (without opening things up and disconnecting them) if that could be causing it as well.

Did I configure the kext correctly?

Thanks,
Lam

After installation I have three boot option in my bios:
1. Old EFI USB
2. New installation USB with same EFI
3. SSD drive where the Big Sur was in, I put the same EFI folder into the EFI partition

I can only boot by #2. Both #1 and #3 will give me black screen with single blinking underscore before the opencore boot picker. The blinking underscore will show up right after I exit the bios menu.
Hello @zk2004mb,

If you have Bootstrap enabled in the OpenCore 0.6.5 config.plist, temporarily disable it from these two EFI folders:
  • New installation USB
  • Internal SSD
Disconnect the old EFI USB. Now the system should only have:
  • New installation USB
  • Internal SSD
Boot from the Installation USB. When OpenCore Picker appears, press spacebar to reveal additional options and then select Reset NVRAM.

When system reboot, try booting from the Internal SSD. Does it work?

If not, then perform a CMOS Reset by following the instructions in your motherboard manual. This will reset BIOS parameters to factory defaults, so configure all BIOS parameters properly once again.

Then boot from the Internal SSD. Does it work?

The second problem which bothered me more was the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor. (I have a dual monitor set, one is DP based and another is the thunderbolt based LG) It worked perfectly with flashed titan ridge card before reinstallation. All I needed was booting into OSX first, reboot, and did a hot replug.
But now, things changed. For the first cold boot, both monitors lit up, like before. Then I reboot, the DP monitor lit up, LG monitor won't lit up but all the USB devices work. At this step, everything is the same. But when I replug the LG display trying to activate the monitor, I wouldn't be able to lit up the screen, and I also lost USB peripheral devices.
Which firmware is flashed on the GC-Titan Ridge? Have you tried the DSM2 version that we recommend for Big Sur?

I noticed that a lot of ppl are on BIOS F9. I'm still on F7 with CSM unlocked. Is there good reason to upgrade to F9i or not really? Currently on Clover but it appears that OC is the way forward so I plan to make the transition at some point in next few months.

Back