Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This seems suspiciously like the background photo image analysis process that plagues older versions of Catalina with RX 5700 XT GPUs. Because the crash happens after 5 minutes of activity, it means background image analysis is most likely getting started.

Recommendation: Make full backup then upgrade to latest Catalina. Please ensure you’re on OpenCore (no need to upgrade to latest OpenCore if you’re running an older version).
I have no idea what background photo image analysis is but you’re saying it’s a known issue for 5700 XT and old Catalina? I was worried this was something very specific to me but at least glad to hear that maybe it’s something more common.

Are there any other things I could look for that would confirm that this is really the problem?

I think I remember reading that Apple’s patch notes for the 10.15.7 update specifically mention addressing a possible graphics issue for iMacs w/ a 5700 XT. Is that the background photo process you’re talking about and would that mean a combo update to 10.15.7 is my best bet?

In terms of moving to OpenCore, is there perhaps a mini-guide for moving from Clover to OpenCore? And should I try to do that before, after, or simultaneous with upgrading OS version?

Thanks!

I have no idea what background photo image analysis is but you’re saying it’s a known issue for 5700 XT and old Catalina? I was worried this was something very specific to me but at least glad to hear that maybe it’s something more common.

Are there any other things I could look for that would confirm that this is really the problem?
You can run Activity Monitor from Utilities folder and sort the list by % CPU. Just leave it running until the system crashes. Then take a photo of the screen assuming the system does not reboot. Or keep watching the screen. If you see mediaanalysisd (something like that) that it is confirmed.

I think I remember reading that Apple’s patch notes for the 10.15.7 update specifically mention addressing a possible graphics issue for iMacs w/ a 5700 XT. Is that the background photo process you’re talking about and would that mean a combo update to 10.15.7 is my best bet?
All of those issues have been resolved in latest Catalina.

In terms of moving to OpenCore, is there perhaps a mini-guide for moving from Clover to OpenCore? And should I try to do that before, after, or simultaneous with upgrading OS version?

Thanks!
The Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1 is the first place to look.

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 6.11.51 AM.png

You can run Activity Monitor from Utilities folder and sort the list by % CPU. Just leave it running until the system crashes. Then take a photo of the screen assuming the system does not reboot. Or keep watching the screen. If you see mediaanalysisd (something like that) that it is confirmed.
You nailed it. 5 minutes and 9 seconds after I left the mouse and keyboard alone, mediaanalysisd popped up in Activity Monitor. Within a second the system froze.

I looked into another thread here about mediaanalysisd and found that it is easy to unload from the launch agent via a Terminal command. So far so good, will still likely go for the OS upgrade soon.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• mediaanalysisd.jpg
    mediaanalysisd.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
** Calling all Owners of Good Quality Hackintosh Builds **
We would like to add your OpenCore EFI folders to the HackinDROM database!​

Do you have a well configured Hackintosh based on a motherboard that is not listed below?
  • ASRock X570 Taichi
  • Asus X99 Deluxe II
  • Gigabyte B550 Vision D
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
  • HP Elitebook 850 G7
If so, we would like to add it to the database:
Asus prime z370-a

Asus prime z370-a
All,

I have no choice but to delete a post like this in the future. Please read the linked article. It is up to individual contributors to upload their well-defined OpenCore EFIs to the HackinDROM database. We cannot create them for you and the database will not support every motherboard. It will only support those boards for which individual contributors upload their EFI folders.

If your board is not in the database, do NOT use HackinDROM app. Create and update your OpenCore EFI folder manually.

@zakinster,

Which version of macOS Big Sur are you running? Some of us are having constant kernel panics with GC-Titan Ridge on 11.3 onwards (Z490 Vision D).

cc: @Matic
Since Monday my GC-Titan Ridge (v1) is flashed and installed in the PCIEX4 port (sourced from PCH side) of the Gigabyte Z390 Designare and I'm running a fresh install of macOS 11.3 (20E232) with OpenCore 0.6.9 and every kext up to date from their latest GitHub release at that time (May 3rd). I'll try the 11.3.1 (20E241) update soon.

I did not observe any kernel panic so far.

Please also note that I was running another install of macOS 11.3 with the GC-Titan Ridge (v1) installed in the PCIEX8 port (sourced from CPU side) of the Gigabyte Z390 for almost 6 month now, but it did not have a flashed firmware and was merely used as a 2xDP to TB video converter from the discrete GPU to the LG Ultrafine 5k (which works as long as the AIC is powered without even needing a PCIe lane connection).

I did not observe much kernel panic then, at least not related to the AIC, AFAIK, but it wasn't really used by the OS at that time.

Updated to 11.3.1 (20E241), update process ran smoothly, no issue so far (~2 hours use).

** GC-Titan Ridge Owners **
Please read if you have flashed your Thunderbolt firmware chip (blue dot chip)​

In Big Sur 11.3 onwards, the firmware GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin is not stable, and macOS Big Sur will crash. You are advised to flash the DSM firmware called TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin. This firmware has been posted to the Repository. Although this has been tested on GC-Titan Ridge V1.0, it may well apply to V2.0 of the card as well.

Credit: @Matic
Credit for Firmware: DSM2 (MacRumors user name)

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.19.36 AM.png

** GC-Titan Ridge Owners **
Please read if you have flashed your Thunderbolt firmware chip (blue dot chip)​

In Big Sur 11.3 onwards, the firmware GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin is not stable, and macOS Big Sur will crash. You are advised to flash the DSM firmware called TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin. This firmware has been posted to the Repository. Although this has been tested on GC-Titan Ridge V1.0, it may well apply to V2.0 of the card as well.

Credit: @Matic
Credit for Firmware: DSM2 (MacRumors user name)

View attachment 517894
I just flashed the TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin (even though I didn't have kennel panics with NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin but hey what can I say, I love tinkering).

No issue so far, everything worked as before (TB fully operational on the AIC, including LG Ultrafine display), we'll see with time.

I do however have a cold boot issue since I flashed a custom firmware on the GC-TITAN RIDGE (any firmware except the stock one). I did not mentioned it earlier since I very rarely cold boot.
Every time I boot from a cold state (power off) :
  • TB is not operational in BIOS (no display, no USB)
  • Display shows up in macOS login screen (but no USB)
  • A soft reboot is necessary to get USB working
  • Everything stays operational until the next shutdown & cold boot (hibernation OK, soft reboot OK, MB reset OK)
I suppose my BIOS is not able to put the firmware in an "operational" state, which is corrected once reached macOS (but require a reboot to correctly allocate hardware resources the first time ?) and once in the correct state the AIC will remain operational as long as it's powered.

I believe it's a common known issue since I've already read about it somewhere. Is there any fix / workaround that could work on my exotic combo (Designare Z390 w/ onboard TITAN RIDGE + AIC GC-TITAN RIDGE) ? I tried tinkering with the BIOS options but they doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.

Is there a dedicated thread for discussion on those TB firmwares ?

Hi everyone, has anyone had an issue with updating to 11.3.1 where the update just doesn't seem to 'take'? By that I mean the process seems to have worked, couple of reboots, usual Apple logo with '8 minutes remaining', reboot again... but OS seems to think I'm still on 11.2.4? I've been keeping pretty up to date with OC and Big Sur in recent months and never seen this. I've tried to reset NVRAM incase that's got anything to do with it. I don't have the picker displaying I just let it auto boot and it always seems to have worked in the past. Hoping there's something obvious I might have missed!? I'm on OC 0.6.9 by the way. Cheers!

Back