Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi there @SmackAttack ,

In Big Sur with OC 0.6.8, the graphics response from my music production software is so bad, it's unusable. I am wondering if this Radeon Boost might help, but I know nothing about it.

Is there a guide to installing/using it, or is it something that can be done relatively easily in just a few steps? I have a Sapphire RX 580 4GB.

Thanks!
I wouldn’t expect your performance to be that bad without it. My internal Vega 64 was maybe a tiny bit low on the Geekbench score, but not nearly as bad as my Radeon VII in the Sonnet eGFX chassis. However, installing the Radeon boost did significantly help both, and now they’re scoring above all the Geekbench benchmarks.
Casey has a link on post #1 somewhere that will take you to the Radeon Boost thread (where you’ll find the install files) but I can tell you you need three things:
1) the .aml that corresponds to your GPU slot configuration.
2) the Radeon Boost kext.
3) your OC config that includes both of those.
Give it a shot!
J

I wouldn’t expect your performance to be that bad without it. My internal Vega 64 was maybe a tiny bit low on the Geekbench score, but not nearly as bad as my Radeon VII in the Sonnet eGFX chassis. However, installing the Radeon boost did significantly help both, and now they’re scoring above all the Geekbench benchmarks.
Casey has a link on post #1 somewhere that will take you to the Radeon Boost thread (where you’ll find the install files) but I can tell you you need three things:
1) the .aml that corresponds to your GPU slot configuration.
2) the Radeon Boost kext.
3) your OC config that includes both of those.
Give it a shot!
J
Awesome! Thank you very much for your quick reply. :)

It’s post 19,314:
Heads up it says not to install the .aml for your card.

Heads up it says not to install the .aml for your card.
Yes, thank you!

I saw that and thought, Oh, ok this should be easier... :rolleyes:

I followed all the instructions, and rebooted and then got the Apple logo... no progress bar, and stuck. Got back in with my installation USB device and am trying to figure it out.

Using OCC 2.36.0.0, in the Kernel section, all the entries have an ExecutablePath of: Contents/MacOS/xxxxxxx
If I put one in for RadeonBoost, I get the stuck Apple. If I go in and wipe that out and leave it blank, then all is good... but I assume RadeonBoost likely is NOT working, and there is some other "secret steps" that weren't mentioned or have changed recently.

Anyone?

Ah, right forgot to clarify that:
You need to leave the "ExecutablePath" empty, and fill "Contents" in to be "Contents/Info.plist."
Then make sure you've got the check box enabled if you're using OCC.

Make sense?

Last edited:
Ah, right forgot to clarify that:
You need to leave the "ExecutablePath" empty, and fill "Contents" in to be "Contents/Info.plist."
Then make sure you've got the check box enabled if you're using OCC.

Make sense?
Awesome man! I appreciate your help... OK, going to try that now.

Awesome man! I appreciate your help... OK, going to try that now.
Ok, yep, that's how I last left it.

I suppose it's running then... Is there a quick way to confirm if it's running or not?

Ok, yep, that's how I last left it.

I suppose it's running then... Is there a quick way to confirm if it's running or not?
Only way I know is to Geekbench it without, then with and compare the scores.

Only way I know is to Geekbench it without, then with and compare the scores.
I'm using Hackintool v3.4.0 and under extensions, I can see the following running, but NOT RadeonBoost:

AppleALC
IntelMausiEthernet
Lilu
NVMeFix
USBInjectAll
VirtualSMC
WhateverGreen

So I suppose there is still some trick to getting it to go. :roll2:

Back