Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Struck by Thunderbolt.

Having flashed two Thunderbolt 3 chips on two boards successfully, I thought the gods of tech were smiling upon me.

In macOS, flashed Thunderbolt 3 support is perfect, from all I've seen so far. My Universal Audio equipment is hot-pluggable, and all devices are seen and accessible. [I am seeing the issue where Plug-Ins are going Disabled, but I think that is going to be easily fixable, just setting adjustments. If anyone has info on this though, please let me know. Thanks!]

However, in Windows 10, and I mean BOTH of my two installations of Windows 10, Thunderbolt is dead. This will not work for me, as most of my work is in Windows. :(

In Windows, I'm seeing: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I've tried installing the latest Thunderbolt drivers (which were already installed before anyway), and now they fail to install.

Is there a way yet to have both working? What should I do at this point?
If you're using the GB Z390 Designare's onboard Thunderbolt and you're mostly concerned with UAD devices, you can probably revert your flashed Thunderbolt to the stock setting. I'm using the UAD Apollo 8 Quad (TB2) and hotplug works great with Mojave, Big Sur, and Windows 10 Pro beginning with OC 0.6.3 without flashing the TB chip. If you flash back, you may need to reinstall the driver in Windows. YMMV... If you don't need the UAD in Windows, maybe you can leave it be...

If you're using the GB Z390 Designare's onboard Thunderbolt and you're mostly concerned with UAD devices, you can probably revert your flashed Thunderbolt to the stock setting. I'm using the UAD Apollo 8 Quad (TB2) and hotplug works great with Mojave, Big Sur, and Windows 10 Pro beginning with OC 0.6.3 without flashing the TB chip. If you flash back, you may need to reinstall the driver in Windows. YMMV...
I'm realizing more and more that ICM mode, for most of us, is actually the better option. I understand the obsession however.

I have an EX3 and an EX4 and they work more smoothly with OEM firmware.

@Inqnuam - I just tested updating to 0.6.9, and when I clicked on 'Update Opencore', it crashed the app and I had to re-open via the Application folder. I think last time you mentioned it may have been code you forgot to remove, but it looks like it is still occurring after that change also.... Not sure if I am the only one with this issue.

Successfully installed the Big Sur 11.3.1 security update. (OC 0.6.9)

Big-Sur-11-3-1.png

Last edited:
We warn people against BIOS F9j and we warn people about flashed controllers being less than perfect in Windows and Linux: ;)

View attachment 517552
Thank you @CaseySJ Yeah, I was well aware of the warning about F9j, so that was self inflicted. But I thought the only issue was the USB one, which didn't apply to me. Now we know stability issues may arise from its use as well.

OHHHH, thank you very much for pointing this out, "It may be necessary to boot to macOS first, then warm boot to Windows..." I just confirmed that DOES work on my system. That's what has been confusing me; I was certain I had tested Windows after the flash and it worked. Clearly I must have warm booted from macOS for that initial test. Not the most elegant procedure, but you know what... that will be fine for me, for the time being.

I still have my THREADRIPPER Designare TRX40 MB and I just need to get a 3970X for it. That will be my Windows machine, then my Z390 can become a dedicated Hackintosh.

Thanks again @CaseySJ !

Your wealth of knowledge and help is invaluable. You're awesome!

If you're using the GB Z390 Designare's onboard Thunderbolt and you're mostly concerned with UAD devices, you can probably revert your flashed Thunderbolt to the stock setting. I'm using the UAD Apollo 8 Quad (TB2) and hotplug works great with Mojave, Big Sur, and Windows 10 Pro beginning with OC 0.6.3 without flashing the TB chip. If you flash back, you may need to reinstall the driver in Windows. YMMV... If you don't need the UAD in Windows, maybe you can leave it be...
Thank you for your post!

It sounds like you just have the one Apollo 8, one UAD device. In my case, I have an Apollo Twin X and two OCTO CORE Satellites daisy chained. I think when you are daisy chaining TB3 devices is where the flashing of the FW becomes necessary. If you were able to test with one other device, then we'd know.

If someone could confirm if my understanding is correct, that would be great.

I tried before flashing (but I think I was still on Mojave at that point), and I believe with just the Twin X things worked (not 100% I tried that but seems like I did). But I know for sure when I connected all three, then it wasn't all good.

I'm realizing more and more that ICM mode, for most of us, is actually the better option. I understand the obsession however.

I have an EX3 and an EX4 and they work more smoothly with OEM firmware.
What do you mean by "ICM mode"?

We were just lamenting over how painless OpenCore updates have become that we no longer gain a sense of accomplishment. No pain, no gain.

And then you come along from the bowels of hell. And the balance has been restored.

May the 4th (be with you). :)
Well... I don't think OpenCore was ever a part of my problems. And I think you are correct; once I have all my issues sorted out, OpenCore updates WILL be painless for me as well.

Thank you for all you do to make OpenCore work so well with your methods and guides!

:thumbup:

Okay, I'm a total idiot.

I have a second internal that I use as by clone both for EFI and boot. In all my OC shenanigans, I failed to notice that when I was going back to my Clover loader, the new BIOS changed the default UEFI to the clone's EFI which DID in fact have Radeon Boost.

Once I installed and configured RB in OC, my Radeon speeds are where they were in Clover.

Sorry to have wasted time, but I guess we (I) know that RB DOES IN FACT speed up Radeon cards in Catalina. In GB5, I'm seeing 71321 with my internal Vega 64, and 85733 with the eGPU VII (it was 90k in Clover). Perhaps I have to add the 2nd RB aml for slot2 as well. I might try that and see if two amls can coexist.

Thanks for all the help!
J
Hi there @SmackAttack ,

In Big Sur with OC 0.6.8, the graphics response from my music production software is so bad, it's unusable. I am wondering if this Radeon Boost might help, but I know nothing about it.

Is there a guide to installing/using it, or is it something that can be done relatively easily in just a few steps? I have a Sapphire RX 580 4GB.

Thanks!

Back