Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

• Are you using Broadcom Bluetooth or Intel Bluetooth?
  • The USBPorts kext already disables HS12, where supposedly the Fenvi Broadcom Bluetooth was connected.
  • If you are using Intel Bluetooth, have you physically removed the Fenvi PCIe card?
  • The USBPorts kext already enables HS14, where Intel Bluetooth is connected.
Conclusion:
  • If you're trying to use Intel Bluetooth and the Fenvi card is physically removed, then your USBPorts kext is already set up correctly.

I am now using the Intel WiFi/Bluetooth (Kexts that were in your build). I have physically removed the Fenvi PCIe card that has both WiFi and Bluetooth. When I am using the 'USBInjectAll-071' and 'USBInjectAll-076' files, both the Intel WiFi Bluetooth work. When I switch over to my USBPorts.kext though, the WiFi works, but the Bluetooth does not.

USBPorts.Kext enabled (No Bluetooth)
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 8.56.40 AM.png

UsbInjectAll kexts enabled (Bluetooth Works)
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 9.00.11 AM.png

Last edited:
Hello again,

I installed Little Snitch. Now my hacki is a bit broken. Little Snitch changed the system Language. If I go to System Preferences -> Language & Region, I get this message "Could not load Language & Region preference pane." and some software didn't work anymore. They are not blocked by Little Snitch, they won't start (Ableton, Telegram). I deinstalled LS, but nothing changed. Most other programs (Adobe stuff, Reaper, Sononym) work normally. I tried to use Time Machine but it won't work. I have read in the forum that I should boot into Recovery Mode and then reinstall Mojave (14.4).

What's the best way to do? Should I upgrade to the newest version of Mojave (14.6) or should I just try to reinstall the current version? Are there any other things that I must consider? Or is there an easier way to fix this?

Thx for the help.
FWIW, I've recently removed the paid app "Little Snitch" from all of my Mojave and Big Sur machines because of ongoing problems with file sharing and screen sharing –despite massaging the rules and filters. Even if it's "Off" there are sharing issues, so it's gone.

I am now using the Intel WiFi/Bluetooth (Kexts that were in your build). I have physically removed the Fenvi PCIe card that has both WiFi and Bluetooth. When I am using the 'USBInjectAll-071' and 'USBInjectAll-076' files, both the Intel WiFi Bluetooth work. When I switch over to my USBPorts.kext though, the WiFi works, but the Bluetooth does not.

USBPorts.Kext enabled (No Bluetooth)View attachment 517489

UsbInjectAll kexts enabled (Bluetooth Works)
View attachment 517492
Apologies! I really should drink my morning coffee before replying. :)
  • Your USBPorts kext is missing HS14.
  • Please try the attached SSDT that has the following changes:
    • HS14 added
    • HS01 deleted (USB 2.0 devices on front panel USB-C port will not connect)
  • This keeps the number of USB ports at 15.

Attachments

• USBPorts-HS14-No-HS01.kext.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 53
Have you seen the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1?
Yes, I did. I'm a bit confused. Do I use the same steps as the Z490?
Also, what will be better, a brand new installation or update?
Thanks again.
Casey, you ROCK man

Yes, I did. I'm a bit confused. Do I use the same steps as the Z490?
Also, what will be better, a brand new installation or update?
Thanks again.
If you are using OpenCore, I would recommend the following:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Catalina.
  • Then use System Preferences --> Software Update to install Big Sur.
If you are using Clover, I would recommend the following:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Catalina.
  • Switch from Clover to OpenCore by following this guide.
  • Then use System Preferences --> Software Update to install Big Sur.
Of course it's possible to perform a brand new installation of Big Sur, but that will be more complicated and is not necessary.

Making a full bootable backup of Catalina is absolutely essential! Anything can go wrong...

I'M BACK... from the bowels of hell!

A little older now, but have a working Hack, having identified all incompatible hardware and issues... which I will detail and discuss later.

Quick note: There are more issues with using F9j than just USB access via Thunderbolt. The main reason I could not get my machine stable seems to be related to insisting on using F9j (yeah, I can admit it). I could attempt the same install multiple times, same BIOS settings, same everything, but get various and random failures and lockups at different stages. Believe me, I tried just about EVERYTHING, with different hardware configs, disconnected peripherals, even another Z390 board. Nothing would resolve the issues.

Sometimes I could even get it to complete an installation, but then there would be periodic lock-ups, even in Big Sur. Admitting defeat, and begrudgingly moved back to F9i (modified). This meant loosing Resizable-Bar support, but... everything became stable. A successful installation process was finally achived, and the process was repeatable.

It will be very interesting to see what it will take to be able to use F9k, once released. Hint: I tried disabling Resize-bar Support, and that still didn't resolve the issues. Fun to be had.

Moving forward now, I still have several issues to resolve, but will tackle each one of them separately.

Struck by Thunderbolt.

Having flashed two Thunderbolt 3 chips on two boards successfully, I thought the gods of tech were smiling upon me.

In macOS, flashed Thunderbolt 3 support is perfect, from all I've seen so far. My Universal Audio equipment is hot-pluggable, and all devices are seen and accessible. [I am seeing the issue where Plug-Ins are going Disabled, but I think that is going to be easily fixable, just setting adjustments. If anyone has info on this though, please let me know. Thanks!]

However, in Windows 10, and I mean BOTH of my two installations of Windows 10, Thunderbolt is dead. This will not work for me, as most of my work is in Windows. :(

In Windows, I'm seeing: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I've tried installing the latest Thunderbolt drivers (which were already installed before anyway), and now they fail to install.

Is there a way yet to have both working? What should I do at this point?

I'M BACK... from the bowels of hell!
We were just lamenting over how painless OpenCore updates have become that we no longer gain a sense of accomplishment. No pain, no gain.

And then you come along from the bowels of hell. And the balance has been restored.

May the 4th (be with you). :)

Last edited:

However, in Windows 10, and I mean BOTH of my two installations of Windows 10, Thunderbolt is dead. This will not work for me, as most of my work is in Windows. :(

In Windows, I'm seeing: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I've tried installing the latest Thunderbolt drivers (which were already installed before anyway), and now they fail to install.

Is there a way yet to have both working? What should I do at this point?
We warn people against BIOS F9j and we warn people about flashed controllers being less than perfect in Windows and Linux: ;)

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 2.11.04 PM.png

That’s a wonderful article. It sounds plausible — copper is a much better conductor than aluminum. The Macronix chip might be more power hungry than the Winbond. That would certainly explain our past difficulties with the chip.

Are you planning to make the copper modifications?
My soldering wasn't up to scratch, so I order a higher quality clip that will accept the DuPont cables.

Back