Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

No luck with my first attempt at flashing the W480 Thunderbolt chip. (See below.) This post suggest that the cables on the SOIC8 clip are not thick enough for this job. Hmmm.
% sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi -r firmware-1.bin
flashrom v1.2 on Darwin 20.3.0 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
libusb: info [darwin_claim_interface] no interface found; setting configuration: 1
No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically.
That’s a wonderful article. It sounds plausible — copper is a much better conductor than aluminum. The Macronix chip might be more power hungry than the Winbond. That would certainly explain our past difficulties with the chip.

Are you planning to make the copper modifications?

That’s a wonderful article. It sounds plausible — copper is a much better conductor than aluminum. The Macronix chip might be more power hungry than the Winbond. That would certainly explain our past difficulties with the chip.

Goodness!

The Intel wireless drivers are now packaged into an EFI for this motherboard. The EFI can be downloaded from an earlier post in this thread or with HackinDROM App. Please see Quick Reference spoiler section 1 for links.
Hi @CaseySJ, I just reinstalled OC via Hackindrom (Z390 Designare + OpenIntelWireless), but it still had same issue after boot where WIFI was not working, couldn't find any networks or anything, and the Bluetooth was stating that it was not installed and could not be turned on

Last edited:
Hello,
I've been watching the development of the OpenIntelWireless.kext from zxystd since beginning. I tried the current release AirportItlwm-Big_Sur-v2.0.0-DEBUG-alpha (note: the relevant links in Post 1 are no longer up to date). Works very well so far. Handsoff works, but very delayed. Is it now known if and when Airdrop will be supported?

I also have the two kexts (IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext; IntelBluetoothInjector.kext) on Intel Bluetooth firmware from zystd in use (version 1.1.2 from August 3, 2020).
I noticed the following: Apple products (e.g. Apple Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad 2, Airpods Pro) are recognized immediately and work without any problems. However, I have other other Bluetooth devices (Logitech MX Keys and MX Anywhere 3 Mouse; JBL Pulse 2 Boombox) that are recognized, but the connection is constantly interrupted or cannot be maintained. Has anyone seen the same problems or the same thing? Is there already a solution for this?
A stable Bluetooth connection to other Bluetooth devices would be a success.

Note: I removed my Fenvi-T919 from the PCI slot and of course correctly integrated the internal Intel WLAN / Bluetooth card (Bluetooth via HS14; I observed the port limit of 15 devices). Running BigSur 11.3.

Well I'm speechless! :silent::crazy: Not sure that counts as science, but if it works it works! :)

Gigabyte is testing a successor to F9j. Let's give them a couple of weeks.
Still going strong, with no freezes or noticeable hickups. My system is more stable than ever! And finally with support for the 6900 XT that I bought the day it launched and that has been sitting in my system ever since making a fool out of me for believing Big Sur would have day one support for it. But now it all comes together, yay ☺️

Since you sound like it makes sense to give it a try, I will do so. I have gone this far; I'd be crazy not to go the extra step. Everything else about the procedure went smoothly and I was surprised that it didn't work at the final, crucial step.

Since you sound like it makes sense to give it a try, I will do so. I have gone this far; I'd be crazy not to go the extra step. Everything else about the procedure went smoothly and I was surprised that it didn't work at the final, crucial step.
If the copper modification works, it would be a very significant finding because we've simply had no luck in the past with Macronix flash ROM chips.

Hello,
I've been watching the development of the OpenIntelWireless.kext from zxystd since beginning. I tried the current release AirportItlwm-Big_Sur-v2.0.0-DEBUG-alpha (note: the relevant links in Post 1 are no longer up to date). Works very well so far. Handsoff works, but very delayed. Is it now known if and when Airdrop will be supported?

I also have the two kexts (IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext; IntelBluetoothInjector.kext) on Intel Bluetooth firmware from zystd in use (version 1.1.2 from August 3, 2020).
I noticed the following: Apple products (e.g. Apple Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad 2, Airpods Pro) are recognized immediately and work without any problems. However, I have other other Bluetooth devices (Logitech MX Keys and MX Anywhere 3 Mouse; JBL Pulse 2 Boombox) that are recognized, but the connection is constantly interrupted or cannot be maintained. Has anyone seen the same problems or the same thing? Is there already a solution for this?
A stable Bluetooth connection to other Bluetooth devices would be a success.

Note: I removed my Fenvi-T919 from the PCI slot and of course correctly integrated the internal Intel WLAN / Bluetooth card (Bluetooth via HS14; I observed the port limit of 15 devices). Running BigSur 11.3.
It may be a good idea to Reset the Bluetooth module by Shift-Option-Clicking on the Bluetooth icon in menu bar. I have the Logitech MX Anywhere 3 mouse so I can test it later (will need to remove Fenvi, change EFI, and reboot).

Update: Just tested the Intel-based Bluetooth driver. Observations:
  • Keychron K1 keyboard --> no problem connecting and working
  • Logitech MX Master 3 --> connects to Bluetooth, but disconnects a second later despite both Reset the Bluetooth module and Remove all devices
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 5.20.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 5.23.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 5.26.01 AM.png

Last edited:
If the copper modification works, it would be a very significant finding because we've simply had no luck in the past with Macronix flash ROM chips.
Just so we're clear, this is the chip on the ASRock W480 Creator Thunderbolt daughterboard:
IMG_2173.jpeg

Back