Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

DLP--a blast from the past! "It's the mirrors!"
When I watched the Super Bowl on this screen, people on screen were actual size on close-up shots. When Tom Brady, for example, walked to the sidelines after winning the championship, he was actual size on my screen. I know because I went up to screen and walked next to him!! Too bad I couldn't grab that trophy. :)

During a year when movie theaters were completely shut down, my home theater was operating at full steam! :)

Last edited:
Anything I need to do to prepare for Big Sur 11.3? Any reason to not do an in-place update?

I'm running CaseySJ's 0.68 Open Core EFI on 11.2.3.
We are now living in a no-hassle in-place upgrade world! :)

Last edited:
Ok, I rescind my theory about the wires on the clip. It must have been that the clip was just loose enough on the chip that barely tapping on the wires was enough to move it... wherever it needed to be.

This is one of the oddest things I've ever observed in electronics. This "wiggling the clip" should NOT work, and why it does has me very curious. I did do some additional testing and observed that by removing either wire from PIN 8 or 4 from the small 8 PIN PCB and then putting them on the PIN loosely and jiggling it, I could get the lights on the MB to respond in a similar fashion, i.e. bright yellow, to dimmer yellow, and occasional flickering red. I bet if we got a petentiometer of the correct OHMS (whatever that would be), we could narrow down what the magic value is to make this work reliably. If I had any, I would test, but I don't.

This time it took me a LOT longer to come up with the magic to flash my other chip. I observed that the lights turned yellow during the verification process, so I thought for sure that it would fail, but it said VERIFIED, (which I didn't believe). But I was able to read the written copies three times, and then I compared the CHECKSUM to the other board flash, and they were identical:

edbbe3cbf8e3fa4a9d991e0681f2a5702b248224

So now I'll put my machine all back together again, and will see if my efforts have been truly successful or not.
Are you using the Arcelli 3.3V CH341a programmer or one of its clones? With this device we no longer worry about the LED colors on the motherboard!

Have you seen this post?
Yes, that's the one I used. I didn't see "LC Technology" listed so I assumed that was the Arceli one.

Once again, AFTER the fact, now it is obvious... there are more knockoffs than just the Acxico and Noyito.

Oh, well. NOW I know. I will buy my own as I'm sure I will need it down the road some time.

Thank you once again @CaseySJ! I owe you big time already I feel, I don't know how to thank you, but THANKS!

You could put this one on a list of ones NOT to buy!

Yes, that's the one I used. I didn't see "LC Technology" listed so I assumed that was the Arceli one.

Once again, AFTER the fact, now it is obvious... there are more knockoffs than just the Acxico and Noyito.
If the Vcc and signal pins all read 3.3V then you used the right device. I had no trouble flashing the Z390 Designare using the Arcelli as long as the SOIC clip completely enveloped the Winbond chip.

If the Vcc and signal pins all read 3.3V then you used the right device. I had no trouble flashing the Z390 Designare using the Arcelli as long as the SOIC clip completely enveloped the Winbond chip.
I got my machine all back together and things are looking GREAT!

EVERYTHING is showing up under "Thuderbolt" now! Wow... this is just extremely fantastic!!! I was really afraid, once you made me realize I had used an un-recommended, cheap knockoff, and how difficult it was to get it to flash, it wasn't going to work. It looks perfect so far.

I'm waiting for some updates to Universal Audio's LUNA DAW to update, then I'm going to try the BIG test to see if Plug-Ins are still randomly going Disabled.

I had all my UA gear turned off when I got back into my Hack (I had just forgot to turn them on), and they all came up and working just fine. All of you who have worked on getting Thunderbolt working like this... THANK YOU!!! Amazing people doing amazing things.

Hey, Universal Audio users, did you see that Atticus Ross (working with Trent Reznor too!) won an Oscar last night for Best Original Score for "Soul"?! He did the DEMO session in LUNA called "Rotation" (It was inspired by the "Stranger Things" theme song). It heavily uses UA's Mini Moog Extension and if you haven't listened to it yet, you should. It sounds just awesome when you crank it up!

Last edited:
I didn't measure the voltages, but when I had it squarely on the chip, all the lights were very bright yellow. I tried anyway to use it that way, and no bueno.

I had read a lot of the guides info on Thunderbolt, so that's when I started trying to achieve the mythical "dim red glow". When I finally did, I could have sworn I saw a unicorn flash by outside.

Glad to hear it!

This is quite odd; it's not something I've come across. If you click the time on menu bar does it correct itself? Is the date/time preference pane set as follows?
View attachment 516234
Ok so looks like after I unchecked and re-checked that box it no longer looses it’s actual time.

The only 2 issues left is that it sometimes will not enable my USB keyboard and mouse for roughly 2min after a wake.

The other weird thing is that both my i211 & i219 Ethernet ports have been bouncing randomly. It even happens in Windows so I’m wondering if you have ever had this issue or heard of it as I don’t think I can still return the mobo because it’s been over 1+ year since I first bought it.

I got my machine all back together and things are looking GREAT!

EVERYTHING is showing up under "Thuderbolt" now! Wow... this is just extremely fantastic!!! I was really afraid, once you made me realize I had used an un-recommended, cheap knockoff, and how difficult it was to get it to flash, it wasn't going to work. It looks perfect so far.

I'm waiting for some updates to Universal Audio's LUNA DAW to update, then I'm going to try the BIG test to see if Plug-Ins are still randomly going Disabled.

I had all my UA gear turned off when I got back into my Hack (I had just forgot to turn them on), and they all came up and working just fine. All of you who have worked on getting Thunderbolt working like this... THANK YOU!!! Amazing people doing amazing things.

Hey, Universal Audio users, did you see that Atticus Ross (working with Trent Reznor too!) won an Oscar last night for Best Original Score for "Soul"?! He did the DEMO session in LUNA called "Rotation" (It was inspired by the "Stranger Things" theme song). It heavily uses UA's Mini Moog Extension and if you haven't listened to it yet, you should. It sounds just awesome when you crank it up!
UPDATE:

Looks like total success!!!! UA Plug-Ins no longer going "Disabled".

Wow... now what am I going to do with myself?!

Once again, thank you @CaseySJ, and all!!!

Back