Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I assume you mean you get the prohibited symbol after you choose your Mojave drive from the boot picker and the boot tries to commence.

did CFG lock revert to enabled? that is one cause of the prohibited symbol when trying to boot into OS X. if CFG lock is disabled and still the same symptom, add -v to your boot arguments and see where the boot is stalling.
Thank you for your reply.

Correct, prohibited symbol. I checked, and CFG lock is still Disabled in BIOS.

I'm new to OpenCore and know nothing of it; how/where do I access the boot arguments to add -v?

My thought is that by following the OpenCore guide, the process assumes NVMe drive in M2M. But mine is on an AIB in slot PCIEX4. Could that be the issue? If so, again, I'm not yet familiar enough to know where to make such a change. I suppose I would first need to use IOregistryExplorer to determine the path to that NVMe?

Thank you for your reply.

Correct, prohibited symbol. I checked, and CFG lock is still Disabled in BIOS.

I'm new to OpenCore and know nothing of it; how/where do I access the boot arguments to add -v?

My thought is that by following the OpenCore guide, the process assumes NVMe drive in M2M. But mine is on an AIB in slot PCIEX4. Could that be the issue? If so, again, I'm not yet familiar enough to know where to make such a change. I suppose I would first need to use IOregistryExplorer to determine the path to that NVMe?
To enable Verbose, simply press and release CMD-V at the OpenCore Picker before selecting the boot drive.

To enable Verbose, simply press and release CMD-V at the OpenCore Picker before selecting the boot drive.
Hmmm. command + v does nothing. I can move the selector back and forth, press space bar and I get the other selections, but placing the selector (I guess "picker") on my Mojave drive, and pressing command + v does nothing. I even have an actual Apple keyboard, and doesn't work with it either. I also tried with the Ctrl, Alt, and of course Windows key. All do not respond to that sequence of keys... for me.

Hmmm. command + v does nothing. I can move the selector back and forth, press space bar and I get the other selections, but placing the selector (I guess "picker") on my Mojave drive, and pressing command + v does nothing. I even have an actual Apple keyboard, and doesn't work with it either. I also tried with the Ctrl, Alt, and of course Windows key. All do not respond to that sequence of keys... for me.
I have a theory as to what may be the problem...

In the "Mini-Guide: Using HackinDROM to Transfer OpenCore PlatformInfo", step 3., "Click the Browse... button and select the existing OpenCore config.plist...", this assumes your are already on OpenCore, which I am not.

Then referring back to the guide, "* * OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI for Z390 Designare * *", step 5., "Use HackinDROM to transfer PlatformInfo from existing OpenCore config.plist to new version.", again, assuming already on OpenCore, and am not.

Finally, returning to the guide, "** Mini-Guide: How to Replace Clover with OpenCore **", under Procedure, it says, "Then we will transfer our exiting... from Clover to OpenCore".

It seems missing is the actual steps to access the config.plist from Clover.

I think this is what also happened to Pisomojado here:

I got the Ghostbuster sign after the picker menu.

I have a theory as to what may be the problem...

In the "Mini-Guide: Using HackinDROM to Transfer OpenCore PlatformInfo", step 3., "Click the Browse... button and select the existing OpenCore config.plist...", this assumes your are already on OpenCore, which I am not.

Then referring back to the guide, "* * OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI for Z390 Designare * *", step 5., "Use HackinDROM to transfer PlatformInfo from existing OpenCore config.plist to new version.", again, assuming already on OpenCore, and am not.

Finally, returning to the guide, "** Mini-Guide: How to Replace Clover with OpenCore **", under Procedure, it says, "Then we will transfer our exiting... from Clover to OpenCore".

It seems missing is the actual steps to access the config.plist from Clover.

I think this is what also happened to Pisomojado here:

I got the Ghostbuster sign after the picker menu.
We can enable Verbose mode by adding -v to Boot Arguments:
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 10.44.13 AM.png

** Update on OpenIntelWireless Drivers **
26 Apr Update:
Corrected ZIP has been posted with Apr 21 builds of AirportItlwm (2.0.0-alpha). Credit: @Hackintoshron

On my Designare Z390, the latest 2.0.0-alpha drivers (released on April 24) fail to connect to either the 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz band on my Orbi Mesh 802.11ac router. However, the versions created on Mar 29 are able to connect to both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz bands.

If you would like to test the 2.0.0-alpha drivers on your Z390 Designare using the Mar 29 drivers, please do the following (supports Catalina, and Big Sur):

EFI Prep:
  • Download the attached EFI folder.
  • Rename the parent folder from OC-068-DESIGNARE-Z390-INTEL-WIRELESS to --> EFI
  • If you have an AMD GPU, rename the file config-AMD-GPU.plist to config.plist
  • If you do not have AMD GPU, rename the file config-Intel-iGPU.plist to config.plist
  • Open config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and go to the PlatformInfo --> DataHub page.
  • Transfer the five highlighted values from your existing config.plist into this new config.plist
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 11.08.34 AM.png

• Save the file.
  • Locate a USB flash disk with an EFI partition (or erase a USB flash disk in Disk Utility with Format = MacOS Journaled and Scheme = GUID Partition Map)
  • Copy the new EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
System Prep:
  • Shutdown the system and flip PSU power switch to OFF.
  • Physically remove the Fenvi or other WiFi/BT PCIe card.
  • Physically disconnect the Bluetooth USB cable.
Begin Test:
  • Connect USB flash disk to system and power it up.
  • At Gigabyte splash screen, press F12 to open BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker)
  • Select the USB flash disk.
  • When OpenCore Picker appears, select the normal macOS disk.
On the 802.11n network 5GHz band:
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 12.58.39 PM.png
Now available on HackinDROM app:
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 2.49.33 PM.png

Attachments

• OC-068-DESIGNARE-Z390-INTEL-WIRELESS.zip
    51.5 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
We can enable Verbose mode by adding -v to Boot Arguments:
View attachment 516308
Thank you very much @CaseySJ for your help. I really appreciate it!

I'm not familiar with that tool you are showing to use to insert the boot argument. I don't know the name of it, or where to find it. BUT...

Here is what I do know for sure... that I did NOT select the config.plist from my Clover EFI (I don't know WHERE I got the config.plist file from when I used HackinDROM, but it was NOT from Clover. :p I was a bit confused at that point, and wherever I did pull it from, was wrong.

I would like to kindly recommend an addition perhapse, something like this...

Procedure:
  • Now we will download a pre-configured OpenCore EFI folder and copy it into the EFI partition of a USB flash disk.
  • Then we will transfer our existing (a) system name, (b) serial number, (c) system UUID, (d) board serial number, and (e) ROM from Clover to OpenCore.
  • If you are upgrading from Clover to OpenCore for the first time, you will need your config.plist file from your Clover EFI partition, so be sure to mount it. At the CopyConfig window for HackinDROM, you will select this Clover config.plist when you click the "Choose File" button.
I followed what @pisomojado did, which was basically just to redo the HackinDROM process, but this time, I DID choose the EFI from Clover, and now (of course) it DOES work!!!!

I still am not able to use the CMD + v though, I tried that first. Maybe that will work once I copy the EFI folder over to the SSD it will work?

Thank you so much @pisomojado for your post!!! You really helped me out man!

Also, while re-doing the HackinDROM procedure, there I was easily able to add the verbose arg, so I got that done also.

I admit, now that I've gone through the process, it is obvious what I should have done. But for some reason going through it the first time, it was not so obvious to me, for whatever reason. o_O

I got two "System Extension Blocked" pop-ups now for "Legacy Developer: Unidentified". I just double checked my Library/Extensions folder, and all the recommend kexts WERE and are removed, and I had run touch afterwards.

How do I locate these extensions it's complaining about and remove them?

Thank you!

Thank you very much @CaseySJ for your help. I really appreciate it!

I'm not familiar with that tool you are showing to use to insert the boot argument. I don't know the name of it, or where to find it. BUT...

Here is what I do know for sure... that I did NOT select the config.plist from my Clover EFI (I don't know WHERE I got the config.plist file from when I used HackinDROM, but it was NOT from Clover. :p I was a bit confused at that point, and wherever I did pull it from, was wrong.

I would like to kindly recommend an addition perhapse, something like this...

Procedure:
  • Now we will download a pre-configured OpenCore EFI folder and copy it into the EFI partition of a USB flash disk.
  • Then we will transfer our existing (a) system name, (b) serial number, (c) system UUID, (d) board serial number, and (e) ROM from Clover to OpenCore.
  • If you are upgrading from Clover to OpenCore for the first time, you will need your config.plist file from your Clover EFI partition, so be sure to mount it. At the CopyConfig window for HackinDROM, you will select this Clover config.plist when you click the "Choose File" button.
I followed what @pisomojado did, which was basically just to redo the HackinDROM process, but this time, I DID choose the EFI from Clover, and now (of course) it DOES work!!!!

I still am not able to use the CMD + v though, I tried that first. Maybe that will work once I copy the EFI folder over to the SSD it will work?

Thank you so much @pisomojado for your post!!! You really helped me out man!

Also, while re-doing the HackinDROM procedure, there I was easily able to add the verbose arg, so I got that done also.

I admit, now that I've gone through the process, it is obvious what I should have done. But for some reason going through it the first time, it was not so obvious to me, for whatever reason. o_O

I got two "System Extension Blocked" pop-ups now for "Legacy Developer: Unidentified". I just double checked my Library/Extensions folder, and all the recommend kexts WERE and are removed, and I had run touch afterwards.

How do I locate these extensions it's complaining about and remove them?

Thank you!
UPDATE: I re-ran the touch commands, restarted, and now those are gone.

I'm not familiar with that tool you are showing to use to insert the boot argument. I don't know the name of it, or where to find it.
It's Open Core Configurator.

For direct, manual editing of config.plist, you can use ProperTree, but OCC is more convenient.

Back