Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Has anyone been successful connecting the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 via USB-C to your hackintosh? I'm considering some hardware changes so I can switch back to macOS.

*** Mini Guide: Using UEFITool and ifrextract to View Firmware Settings ***

Background:

Hi Casey, excellent article. As I explore more articles on this website, I get more and more impressed each time with the breadth and depth and quality of information you've provided to the community. You are outstanding! Thank you so much!

Regarding the modifiedGrub shell, I'm sure you know this, but just want to point out that the modifiedGrub.efi doesn't actually need to booted from a USB. Opencore can load this just like it can other Tools. All we need to do is to put the efi binary into the Tools directory of the opencore EFI folder, and in config.plist, add the corresponding entry to Misc->Tools. Do so, and modifiedGrub will show up on the opencore boot screen, and can be loaded.

I found this out as I was modding the Z590 Vision D BIOS/firmware for better Thunderbolt performance.

Hi @CaseySJ

For a while now I've had issues with sleep not working and I just put up with as it wasn't that important. Well, now I decided to finish what I started and decided to tackle the sleep issue. -- Everything else seems to be working well per your OpenCore 0.6.8 mini guide, I used some of your .aml & kexts you posted there. I have almost the same hardware as your Z390 Designare build except without the T1919, please see below..

Gigabyte Z390 Designare
Intel i9 9900K
Sapphire RX580 (PCIE Slot 3)
EVGA 2080Ti (Slot 1)
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3200MHz RAM
Corsair H150i AIO Water Cooler

My hack would instantly wake up after sleep. I checked the console and it showed this: "Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to XDCI CNVW USBW/UserActivity Assertion"

Well I finally figured out what was causing the issue. It was the Corsair H150i Micro USB connected on the MOBO.

Once I disconnected it, sleep was good every single time.

I noticed that in Post #1 you had mentioned in 7a that I can disable the HS11 or HS12 ports on my MOBO.

I'm looking into disabling one of those ports but not really sure how to go about it. Can you please advise?

I have attached some screenshots of my ACPI & Kexts folder to this post. (See bellow)

Once I disable the HS11 or HS12 do I need to change any of the .aml files associated with the kext? I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to screw up my working build :crazy:

Also, is there any other kexts or .aml files that are not needed in those folders? I want to make sure its a lean but rock solid EFI folder so I can finally save a GOLD back up of it.

I have also attached my EFI if you wouldn't mind taking a few min to look around and also at my config.plist to see if I missed anything or if there's anything that's unnecessary.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ACPI_aml.png
    ACPI_aml.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 51
  • EFI-DTM.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
SUCCESS! I just upgraded to Opencore from Clover 5122 using HackinDROM

I was trying to follow this guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-2666#post-2183794. Using a USB, I got the Ghostbuster sign after the picker menu. After trying a few things and failing, I opened up HackinDROM, mounted the efi on the USB, and clicked “Install OC”.
  • I chose Gigabyte Z390 Designare with AMD GPU and Broadcom (even though I don’t have wifi)
  • Under PlatformInfo, I clicked “Import from My System”
  • The ROM was empty, but I found the number using HackintoolMegaRAID SAS 9361-8i
  • I clicked “Create new OC EFI” then booted from the USB successfully.
Then I copied the USB EFI folder to my SSD EFI. It works!
Wonderful! Ok, I am going to try going to OpenCore today.

I will have an additional challenge as my macOS drive is on an M.2 SSD, and Clover got stuck on a separate SATA SSD. So I want to move Clover to the M.2, get that working, and THEN do the upgrade to OC.

Though I've been trying to do a Time Machine backup before attempting this, but WHY is TM SO FREAKIN' SLOW?!!! OMG!

I'm going to try using My Paragon Hard Disk Manager 17 from within Windows to back that whole M.2 SSD up (and I guess I will do Clover while I'm at it), and it can do the whole 300GB a heck of a lot faster than 12 hours!!! To heck with Time Waster!

UPDATE: SUCCESS

Backed up my entire 300GB Mojave SSD in 23 minutes.

This is just a disaster recovery backup, all or nothing. I can restore the whole drive if need be, but more about this below.

I'm using Paragon Hard Disk Manager 17 Advanced. I've only ever used the Windows version, but I see now they do have a macOS version. I'm sure with the macOS version you could do individual file and folder recovery, just as you can with the Windows version. However, the below mentioned controller card does not have macOS drivers, so that is why from Windows it's all or nothing. So you could use HDM with other macOS accessible storage devices, for more granular back up and recovery options with HDM for macOS.

If you are interested in a highly robust storage backup solution with drivers and software for use with Windows, Linux, and Unix, here is what I am using with Paragon HDM:

- Broadcom MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i 12Gb/s SATA and SAS controller (No MacOS drivers as far as I know).

MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i

On eBAy: MegaRaid SAS 9361 on eBay
[This is an absolute crazy deal as also comes with the CacheVault Module, EnergyPack and two cables!

- SilverStone 8 Hot Swap Cases: These are fantastic! The backplane board allows you to plug in SAS and SATA cables for each drive at the same time (two connectors each)! So you can connect both to your onboard SATA connectors and an AIB SAS RAID controller. Then each slot you can hot swap in either a SAS or SATA drive. It's really amazing and very useful. You can buy additional drive trays for $8 (I have a bunch of them), so I have a lot of external drives I use for various backups.

On Amazon
SilverStone Technology SST-CS380B-USA DIY ATX NAS/Server Storage Computer Case with 8 Front Hot Swap Cases CS380B-USA Cases

On Amazon
SilverStone Technology Premium Mini-Itx/DTX Small Form Factor NAS Computer Case, Black DS380B-USA Newest Version (SST-DS380B-USA)

- Seagate 8TB 7200 RPM 12Gb/s 256MB Cache SAS hard drives (I'm using three in RAID 5).

On Amazon
Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 | ST8000NM0075 | 8TB 7200 RPM SAS 12Gb/s 256MB Cache | 512e | Internal Hard Disk Drive

2ND UPDATE: Holy Crap, how is this possible? I just discovered in HDM... in Windows... I can access every file and folder from my Hackintosh backup I just did! I can even fully access everything on the EFI partition. FYI.

Attachments

• Done in 23 minutes w hl.jpg
    Done in 23 minutes w hl.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I didn't expect this to work:

I needed to move my Clover from a temporary SATA SSD I was using, to my permanent Mojave on an M.2 SSD, so that I can get rid of the temporary SATA drive, and then begin the process of migrating to OpenCore in a more permanent configuration on the M.2 drive.

I backed up both drive's EFI partitions with Paragon Hard Disk Manager, then just restored the SATA EFI to the M.2, restarted, and bam, that was it.

Now I just have to get my Windows boot back as well, as now it's defaulting to Clover.

Hi everyone, and in particular you @CaseySJ. After upgrading my dual boot (Windows/macOS) system to OpenCore 0.6.8 and migrating my config.plist, my Thunderbolt ports have begun acting up. I'm on BIOS F9jand haven't flashed the Thunderbolt firmware. I've used this setup for very long with no problems. But now, my Focusrite Clarett 2Pre (which is Thunderbolt based) is no longer able to play back audio, unless it is hot plugged after Windows has launched. I cannot hot plug it in macOS unfortunately, probably because it's using the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter, so I can't use it in macOS at all anymore.

Could there be any changes in the ACPI files or the config.plist that in some way causes problems with Thunderbolt?

I noticed that in Post #1 you had mentioned in 7a that I can disable the HS11 or HS12 ports on my MOBO.

I'm looking into disabling one of those ports but not really sure how to go about it. Can you please advise?
Hello @DanTechMedia,

One of the great advantages of using USBInjectAll.kext in combination with USB SSDT (instead of USBPorts.kext) is that we can disable any port simply by adding a Boot Argument.

To determine whether the Corsair H150i is connected to HS11 or HS12, please run IORegistryExplorer and check both HS11 and HS12 (or post the IOReg file: File --> Save As...).

Then add one of the following arguments to Boot-Args:
  • uia_exclude=HS11
  • uia_exclude=HS12
Reboot and run IORegistryExplorer once again to ensure that the port has disappeared.

Hi everyone, and in particular you @CaseySJ. After upgrading my dual boot (Windows/Mac OS) system to OpenCore 0.6.8 and migrating my config.plist, my Thunderbolt ports have begun acting up. I'm on BIOS F9jand haven't flashed the Thunderbolts firmware. I've used this setup for very long with no problems. But now, my Focusrite Clarett 2Pre (which is Thunderbolt based) is no longer able to play back audio, unless it is hot plugged after Windows has launched. I cannot hot plug it in Mac OS unfortunately, probably because it's using the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter, so I can't use it in Mac OS at all anymore.

Could there be any changes in the ACPI files or the config.plist that in some way causes problems with Thunderbolt?
Hello @wessberg,

We advise against BIOS F9j due to issues seen with Thunderbolt/USB-C ports so my first recommendation would be to install F9i and configure BIOS parameters again (including BOOT --> CFG-Lock --> Disable).

Then let's see if the problem persists.

Also:
  • Was Thunderbolt working properly with the Clarett 2Pre for some time?
  • If so, when did the problem start? Did it start just after upgrading to OpenCore 0.6.8 or did some other things change as well?

One of the great advantages of using USBInjectAll.kext in combination with USB SSDT (instead of USBPorts.kext) is that we can disable any port simply by adding a Boot Argument.

Hi @CaseySJ,

Thanks for the follow up.

Ok, understood. A couple questions then, if you wouldn't mind.

1. If I use the USBInjectAll.kext do I need to remove any .aml files in the ACPI folder?

2. The USBInjectAll-071.kext & USBInjectAll-076.kext that you had in the OpenCore 0.6.8 Guide. -- Do I need to remove those as well?

3. What are those used for?

4. If I use the USBInjectAll.kext that you recommended, do I need to map all my ports or no?

I've attached the .ioreg file of my system. I found HS11 & HS12 however I didn't see anything in there about the Corsair H150i. I'll wait for your advice to move further on what Boot-Args to use.

Thanks for you time Casey!

**EDIT**
My apologies, I still had it disconnected. :rolleyes: I've reconnected the cable and have uploaded the .ioreg file again.

Attachments

• Daniel’s iMac.ioreg
    6.9 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Back