Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Should I upgrade my Hackintosh to Big Sur? Is it stable right now with OpenCore? Getting tired of the AppStore asking me to upgrade every day lol
Still on Mojave... and Clover and no intent to move on my side. System stable as a rock.

It depends what you do with your computer...

Last edited:
Has anyone else encountered USB devices power cycling during sleep? When it sleeps, my audio device will restart causing a pop in the speakers. I'm using a Presonus AudioBoxTwo which has been class compliant since forever. Just started in Big Sur.

Last edited:
Good point. If we install Windows according to the guidelines in post 1, the Microsoft folder will be in the EFI partition of the Windows SSD instead of the macOS SSD. Then this particular issue won’t occur.

If I remember correctly, it looked like I'd have to peel off the heat sync sticker to remove my (primary) NVMe drive. I was afraid it wouldn't be sticky enough to re-apply properly, and my 970 Pro already runs really hot.

I wish you could disable drives in BIOS, like used to be the case in my old PCs...

@CaseySJ have you tried doing GPU passthrough for VMs on this build? I'm looking to add a second workbench desk with a single monitor using a linux or windows VM but don't want to build a separate PC. Is it possible to get a small AMD gpu, add it in another slot, and do GPU passthrough to a VM?

Hello @CaseySJ, hope you're doing well. Just have a quick question regarding a small issue with the last 2 updates of OpenCore.

After updating from 0.6.6 to 0.6.7, and now to 0.6.8, I get a forbidden symbol when booting to macOS (10.15.7). When it happens, I go pass through it by reseting the NVRAM in the picker, but after some time it comes back, and I need to reset the NVRAM again for it to go away and boot into macOS. I don't know what's causing it. I did not tried adding -v to try to see what the error is yet.

Do you have any clue about this, or is it a known issue?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Tried to open the HackinDROM application as @CaseySJ described earlier this week here:

After I click "Open anyway" in Preferences > Security and Privacy, I get this window:

HackindDROM-app-can't-be-opened.png

I click "Open" but nothing happens - the app icon doesn't appear in the menu bar. I tried re-downloading and launching again, but got the same results.

Thoughts? Do I need to grant it Full Disk Access perhaps?

I'm on Big Sur 11.2.3.

Tried to open the HackinDROM application as @CaseySJ described earlier this week here:

After I click "Open anyway" in Preferences > Security and Privacy, I get this window:

View attachment 514824

I click "Open" but nothing happens - the app icon doesn't appear in the menu bar. I tried re-downloading and launching again, but got the same results.

Thoughts? Do I need to grant it Full Disk Access perhaps?

I'm on Big Sur 11.2.3.
Please check #125

*** Repository of Patched Thunderbolt Firmware Files ***
Please do not quote this post in its entirety. Post a link instead.​

IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING FLASHED GC-TITAN RIDGE CARDS:
  • Thunderbolt peripherals that support both USB and Thunderbolt hosts will notwork with the flashed GC-Titan Ridge.
    • Examples:
      • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro
  • Thunderbolt peripherals that support only Thunderbolt hosts will work with flashed GC-Titan Ridge.
    • Examples:
      • OWC 14-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock
      • CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Dock
  • However, the flashed on-board controller of (a) Z390 Designare, (b) Z490 Vision D, and (c) B550 Vision D supports both types of devices.

Hi Casey, firstly thank you for your support in our community - brilliant !

I have a similar Z490 Vision D running macOS 11.2.3, OC0.6.8 with your flashed v50 Thunderbolt firmware.
I own a M1 Mac and needed more ports, so purchased a "OWC Thunderbolt Hub" - pix attached. It works on the M1 Mac connecting 3 x Thunderbolt devices and 1 x USB 3.1 to the M1 Thunderbolt port. But no go on the Z490 Hackintosh.

Agreed Thunderbolt Hub support is a new USB4 feature added to newer PCs and macs.

The OWC Hub does not connect as either Thunderbolt or USB and does not appear as a new device in the Mac SysInfo Thunderbolt/USB4 tab. Attached M1 pix for comparison, specifically showing the "Mode: USB4" rather than "Mode: Thunderbolt3" message.

Are you aware if anyone has got this Thunderbolt Hub feature working on a Hackintosh as yet or being considered ?
Thanks, Jeff

Attachments

• Mode_USB4 conenction on M1 Mac Screenshot 2021-04-11 at 11.24.09 PM.png
    Mode_USB4 conenction on M1 Mac Screenshot 2021-04-11 at 11.24.09 PM.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 60
  • OWC Thunderbolt HUB.jpeg
    OWC Thunderbolt HUB.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 57
@CaseySJ have you tried doing GPU passthrough for VMs on this build? I'm looking to add a second workbench desk with a single monitor using a linux or windows VM but don't want to build a separate PC. Is it possible to get a small AMD gpu, add it in another slot, and do GPU passthrough to a VM?
As far as I know:
  • Linux VMs support PCI passthrough.
  • MacOS VMs do not support PCI passthrough.
  • Most Threadripper-based Hackintoshes are actually setup as follows:
    • Host OS is Linux running ProxMox
    • MacOS is then a Guest OS under ProxMox
    • ProxMox supports passthrough, which allows macOS to run at near-native speed
@Ploddles, feel free to comment on this.

P.S. The Rules do not permit the discussion of VMs other than VMware Fusion. But we can answer the original question in simple terms and move on.

Last edited:
Back