Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

My Samsung EVO 970 Plus 500GB SSD boot drive seems to be hemorrhaging available drive space for no reason.
I updated to OpenCore 0.6.8 the other day (otherwise it's been business as usual) and can't seem to find out what is causing the trouble. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I've lost at least 100GB available to this leak today. I've got a backup but this is scary.

Thoughts?
Ok thanks to "DaisyDisk" it seems the trouble was caused by the dreaded "TimeMachine" backup. Why I don't stop using that thing is a real mystery...

Besides that, Hackintosh started waking up on every push notification again. Who has the same issue?
Please have a look at the Sleep Aid:

Some USB devices such as Corsair Commander Pro will interfere with sleep, so it's important to list all internally connected USB devices. Some Bluetooth devices may also interfere with sleep (Bluetooth operates over USB) so it's also important to systematically disconnect USB and Bluetooth devices until the problem disappears. This may help to identify the offending device.

Has anyone tried jumping the pins with the ThunderboltEX 3-tr/Ex 4? Think last thing I saw on this was post 24,062 - 24,064 but didn't see anyone actually try it.

Also the ThunderboltEX 4 is available on Newegg.

Thought I'd post this since the guides don't mention direct upgrades from Mojave to Big Sur (unless I missed it).

Having successfully updated from CaseySJ's OC 0.6.6 to 0.6.8 a couple of days ago, today I successfully did an in-place upgrade from Mojave 10.14.6 to Big Sur 11.2.3.

It took a total of 30 minutes and 4 restarts (the first one prompted, the rest automatic).

After two hours of testing apps, so far everything seems to be fine, even two music apps which aren't yet supported in Big Sur: Digital Performer 10.13 (though I only tested playback, not recording) and UVI Workstation 3.0.17 (which I tested only in standalone mode).

No problems so far with any other of my music apps, either: Pro Tools, Dorico 3.5, Sibelius, Metric Halo MHLink (Ethernet audio), Keyscape.

Of course, I made a bootable backup beforehand (I use Chronosync), so there was little to lose except some time.

Delighted at how painless this was! Thanks, CaseySJ and the OC team!

Last edited:
Does your mobo have a 14 pin header? Curious if the ex 3-tr or ex 4 will work on boards with 5pin or no header
You're thinking the right way here. Here's my thoughts.

1) Previously people without headers found tons of interest in getting TB Cards working for them. I'm hoping to do some research on TB/USB4 for 5 pin boards like my own. I'm pretty doubtful though. We'll see!

2) I've been waiting for a good time to trick myself into upgrading mobo/cpu!

You're thinking the right way here. Here's my thoughts.

1) Previously people without headers found tons of interest in getting TB Cards working for them. I'm hoping to do some research on TB/USB4 for 5 pin boards like my own. I'm pretty doubtful though. We'll see!

2) I've been waiting for a good time to trick myself into upgrading mobo/cpu!

I’m really curious to try on my x299 board too! I’m close to pulling the trigger but I think I’ll wait a little more to see if gigabyte comes out with theirs. I’m kinda surprised Asus came out with their TB4 card before Gigabyte did. I would think Gigabytes would be easier since it has a 5 pin and 3 pin

I tried the HackinDROM upgrade method for the latest release of OpenCore and ran into a couple of snags. On my first attempt, I believe I ran out of space on my EFI partition - because when HackinDROM finished, I didn't have any EFI folder, and the OLD_EFI.ZIP couldn't be unzipped (it looked like it was truncated).

I restored my original EFI from a backup, cleaned the partition up significantly (removing old versions of Clover and OpenCore I had around for reference), and re-ran the HackinDROM upgrade process and it worked as expected.

However, when I rebooted, I didn't see an OpenCanopy option to boot into Windows. The new EFI folder created by HackinDROM didn't have the "Microsoft" folder from the old EFI, which I guess is needed in my case. I copied it over, rebooted, and have the boot option now for Windows.

Thought I'd post my experience, in case it's useful to someone else!

Back