Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey @CaseySJ
Using your latest OpenCore EFI. since upgrading to latest OpenCanopy, clicking right or left on the keyboard goes to the most right or left option, so its pretty much unusable. happens also without OpenCanopy when clicking up or down.
Very annoying issue, any ideas?

The only changes I made is changing PlatformInfo and adding SSDT-GPRW.aml patches to disable USB wake all together.

Thanks

Hey @CaseySJ
Using your latest OpenCore EFI. since upgrading to latest OpenCanopy, clicking right or left on the keyboard goes to the most right or left option, so its pretty much unusable. happens also without OpenCanopy when clicking up or down.
Very annoying issue, any ideas?

The only changes I made is changing PlatformInfo and adding SSDT-GPRW.aml patches to disable USB wake all together.

Thanks
Did you use OpenCore Configurator? If so, please see:

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 10.50.36 AM.png

OpenCore Configurator is not yet bug free for 0.6.8. But the problems you describe can be fixed manually as follows:

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 10.54.29 AM.png

OpenCore Configurator 2.33.1.2 has just been released and it fixes the bug with AppleEvent. We can safely use this version, but set it to OpenCore 0.6.8 Release Version. It might default to 0.6.9 Development Version.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.27.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.32.45 AM.png

Tonight I successfully updated my EFI from @CaseySJ 's 0.6.6 to 0.6.8 - the first time I've updated since switching from Clover a couple of weeks ago. Cool!

As I'm new to this, I really appreciate the clear guides and followed them to the letter, using the HackinDROM web app to transfer PlatformInfo.

Some newbie questions:

1. I did have a problem signing into iCloud after booting from the new EFI on the System drive. I ended up removing the computer from the Appple ID site and signing in again. Is it standard practice to sign out of iCloud before upgrading the EFI?

2. The USB ports work even though I didn't copy over my custom USBPorts.kext (created when I started with Clover in 2019). It’s great to have one less thing to worry about, but I'm curious: how does that work without the custom map? Would there be any advantages to using my custom map?

3. In general, do updates to OpenCore often drop support for systems that were previously supported? Or is this just a case-by-case situation?

4. In the guide for transferring PlatformInfo to the new config.plist, it says to review the boot arguments. I left them as they were in CaseySJ's 0.6.6. Is there anything I should change?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I came from Clover 10.15.7, and, since MOTU finally released their Big Sur drivers yesterday, I decided to start fresh.

BIOS: F9i (unmod'ed)
OC: 0.6.8
EFI: the latest 068 from @CaseySJ
config.plist: generated using https://hackindrom.zapto.org/

Now the system works fine so far, except for Thunderbolt. Which was working perfectly fine on 10.15.7

I've tried method 1 from this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-1616#post-2086547

Not sure if I missed something here...

Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 12.15.47.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 12.15.44.png

Last edited:
Tonight I successfully updated my EFI from @CaseySJ 's 0.6.6 to 0.6.8 - the first time I've updated since switching from Clover a couple of weeks ago. Cool!
Glad to hear it.

1. I did have a problem signing into iCloud after booting from the new EFI on the System drive. I ended up removing the computer from the Appple ID site and signing in again. Is it standard practice to sign out of iCloud before upgrading the EFI?
I’ve been updating my OpenCore EFI on 5 machines every month for the past few months and have not encountered this issue. It may occur if one of the PlatformInfo credentials changes between updates.

2. The USB ports work even though I didn't copy over my custom USBPorts.kext (created when I started with Clover in 2019). It’s great to have one less thing to worry about, but I'm curious: how does that work without the custom map? Would there be any advantages to using my custom map?
This EFI includes a USB custom map

3. In general, do updates to OpenCore often drop support for systems that were previously supported? Or is this just a case-by-case situation?
Quite the opposite lately. OpenCore has been providing better support for legacy systems in each new update.

4. In the guide for transferring PlatformInfo to the new config.plist, it says to review the boot arguments. I left them as they were in CaseySJ's 0.6.6. Is there anything I should change?

Thanks!
In most cases it’s not necessary to change boot arguments. The option to review the arguments is there for those who have customized their OpenCore configuration.

I came from clover 10.15.7 and since motu finally released their Big Sur drivers yesterday I decided to start fresh.

BIOS: F9i (unmodded)
OC: 0.6.8
EFI: the latest 068 from SJcasey
config.plist: generated using https://hackindrom.zapto.org/

Now the system works fine so far, except for thunderbolt. Which was working perfectly fine on 10.15.7

I've tried method 1 from this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-1616#post-2086547

Not sure if I missed something here...

Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
View attachment 514637

View attachment 514636
Please note that the “Thunderbolt” page will always say “No drivers are loaded” unless we flash the firmware to enable Thunderbolt Bus, which is not necessary for more than 90% of Thunderbolt devices.

Instead, please run IORegistryExplorer, select “File —> Save As...” and post the saved file. We can also check “System Information —> PCI”.

If the MOTU device is not being recognized, try setting “Thunderbolt Boot Support” in BIOS to “Boot Once”.

Please note that the “Thunderbolt” page will always say “No drivers are loaded” unless we flash the firmware to enable Thunderbolt Bus, which is not necessary for more than 90% of Thunderbolt devices.

Instead, please run IORegistryExplorer, select “File —> Save As...” and post the saved file. We can also check “System Information —> PCI”.

If the MOTU device is not being recognized, try setting “Thunderbolt Boot Support” in BIOS to “Boot Once”.
@CaseySJ I updated this post and it’s attachments.
The "boot once" didn't work.

the PCI137a,8 is my motu interface, it says there's no drivers installed, but they are installed. As can be seen in the screenshot. I also allowed the system extension to load in the security and privacy window.

I attached my IOreg and the screenshots below.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 15.13.08.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 14.35.22.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 14.35.25.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 14.35.30.png

Attachments

• ioreg.ioreg
    7.6 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Dear Forum Members,
I have question regarding the Login Screen and Desktop Screen resolution difference.
I am running lates OC and latest mac os (thanks to @CaseySJ and @Inqnuam).

The problem is nothing new. (I have the same problem from the first day of build but, I just started to think addressing that.)

I have an RX 580 graphics card connected to 4K monitor via Display Port.

In Opencore picker I have no problem, it is 4K. But the login screen is Full HD, and when I enter my passwd, it changes to 4K again.

I have enabled the root user and changed the resolution.

Do any of you have any solution ?

Best

Back