Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey all,

A while ago I successfully flashed a X299X Designare and ASUS ThunderboltEX3 (1-port). Now I'm trying to do the same with an GC-Alpine Ridge (rev. 2), with the same ch341a SPI.

I can read the flash contents. Sometimes it returns the same hashes, sometimes random hashes. Even when all three test files are identical, I can't seem to flash onto the board. I receive:

Is there a thing I missed? I tried reattaching the SPI reader many times, checked all the cables and jumpers (nothing changed compared to the X299X anyway), and it reads out but doesn't want to write. Any thoughts?
Hello @AlBeast,

Some comments:
  • When chip is in an Unknown State after a failed write attempt, it's possible that the contents are corrupted. To determine this, simply check whether a Thunderbolt device still connects and works with the GC-Alpine Ridge.
  • If the card is still functioning, we can activate Thunderbolt Bus via SSDT. It's not necessary to flash the card.
  • Regardless of how we activate Thunderbolt Bus (via SSDT or via flashing), there will be various problems.
    • Wake from sleep may not work for some Thunderbolt devices.
    • Thunderbolt devices may not connect or work properly until a warm reboot is done.
    • One of the Thunderbolt ports may not work consistently.
    • Etc.

Thanks for your quick response @CaseySJ

Can I simply use the Thunderbolt SSDT supplied with the AlpineRidgeV3 to activate it? I assume the card is working, but it may be botched. To be fair, I'm not sure. I'll test soon.

EDIT: Tested with two cards under Windows (B550 chipset, currently don't have an Intel hack available). Both show up

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick response @CaseySJ

Can I simply use the Thunderbolt SSDT supplied with the AlpineRidgeV3 to activate it? I assume the card is working, but it may be botched. To be fair, I'm not sure. I'll test soon.

EDIT: Tested with two cards under Windows (B550 chipset, currently don't have an Intel hack available). Both show up
Because a flashed controller is not always better than an unflashed controller, do your Thunderbolt devices work properly under macOS with the original firmware on the GC-Alpine Ridge? If so, that would be the best option, particularly on an AMD B550 board.

If you post the System DSDT from the B550 board, I can at least check whether it would be possible to modify the TbtOnPCH SSDT.

Having just switched from my old Clover EFI to CaseySJ's OpenCore EFI, I noticed that the Energy Saver Preferences pane is different.

Previously, it had two sliders - "Computer Sleep" and "Display Sleep." Now it has a single slider "Turn display off after..."

Is this the best/simplest fix, and if not, what is? Is there a way that avoids directly editing kexts in the System folder and disabling SIP - maybe something using Open Core Configurator?

What are the risks and/or potential adverse effects to making this change? If it’s too risky, I’ll let it go.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Having just switched from my old Clover EFI to CaseySJ's OpenCore EFI, I noticed that the Energy Saver Preferences pane is different.

Previously, it had two sliders - "Computer Sleep" and "Display Sleep." Now it has a single slider "Turn display off after..."

Is this the best/simplest fix, and if not, what is? Is there a way that avoids directly editing kexts in the System folder and disabling SIP - maybe something using Open Core Configurator?

What are the risks and/or potential adverse effects to making this change? If it’s too risky, I’ll let it go.

Thanks!
Is the system definition in the OpenCore config.plist the same as the one in your Clover config.plist?

Is the system definition in the OpenCore config.plist the same as the one in your Clover config.plist?
Yes.

I just noticed that in Apple Menu > "System Information" on the hack, Model Identifier and Serial Number (system) are correct, but the Hardware UUID is not. I don't know where it's getting that UUID.

Back story:

When switching from Clover to OpenCore last week, I copied Model ID, System Serial, MLB, and UUID from Clover into the OpenCore config.plist manually via ProperTree.

When I opened the OC config.plist in OpenCore Configurator, the info appeared correctly in the DataHub tab of PlatformInfo (see attached screen grab). But the SMBIOS tab was empty.

I entered the info in the SMBIOS tab as shown in the screen grab, checked the box "Add this section in config.plist", saved, rebooted (resetting NVRAM in the process). macOS System Information still shows the strange UUID.

I opened config.plist in ProperTree and did a search for the mystery UUID. It wasn't there. The UUID I originally entered was there as expected.

What to do?

Attachments

• OCC-DataHub-tab.png
    OCC-DataHub-tab.png
    236 KB · Views: 47
  • OCC-SMBIOS-tab.png
    OCC-SMBIOS-tab.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hello @CaseySJ and all of you in the Forum!? Any news on the infamous “Antelope affaire”?

Hi Casey,

Built a system following your guide 2 years ago that has long been stable and have upgraded to Big Sir running stable for the past 2 months. However I was gone on vacation this past week leaving my computer in sleep mode, and suddenly I'm having issues (worried they might be hardware related). Essentially, when I boot my Gigabyte, the splash screen no longer shows up. So I do a CMOS reset, and it shows up again,. However, when I go into the BIOS and reset all the settings to work for my Hackintosh and when I save and the computer boots up again, I get a black screen, and it is unable to boot. What does work, is I have Windows installed on one of my SSDs, and, when I boot after the CMOS reset ,it then goes into OpenCore, and I can boot into the Windows drive and everything functions fine in Windows (so skeptical it's really a hardware issue?). Any ideas? I've been trouble shooting for hours and can't figure out how to get OpenCore to load after I adjust the reset BIOS settings. (Note upon CMOS reset, my Hacktonish shows up as a drive just like my Windows one does.)

Thanks!
Andrew

Last edited:
Yes.

I just noticed that in Apple Menu > "System Information" on the hack, Model Identifier and Serial Number (system) are correct, but the Hardware UUID is not. I don't know where it's getting that UUID.

Back story:

When switching from Clover to OpenCore last week, I copied Model ID, System Serial, MLB, and UUID from Clover into the OpenCore config.plist manually via ProperTree.

When I opened the OC config.plist in OpenCore Configurator, the info appeared correctly in the DataHub tab of PlatformInfo (see attached screen grab). But the SMBIOS tab was empty.

I entered the info in the SMBIOS tab as shown in the screen grab, checked the box "Add this section in config.plist", saved, rebooted (resetting NVRAM in the process). macOS System Information still shows the strange UUID.

I opened config.plist in ProperTree and did a search for the mystery UUID. It wasn't there. The UUID I originally entered was there as expected.

What to do?
How did UUID: get into the UUID? :) It must be removed.

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.36.56 AM.png

Hi Casey,

Built a system following your guide 2 years ago that has long been stable and have upgraded to Big Sir running stable for the past 2 months. However I was gone on vacation this past week leaving my computer in sleep mode, and suddenly I'm having issues (worried they might be hardware related). Essentially, when I boot my Gigabyte, the splash screen no longer shows up. So I do a CMOS reset, and it shows up again,. However, when I go into the BIOS and reset all the settings to work for my Hackintosh and when I save and the computer boots up again, I get a black screen, and it is unable to boot. What does work, is I have Windows installed on one of my SSDs, and, when I boot after the CMOS reset ,it then goes into OpenCore, and I can boot into the Windows drive and everything functions fine in Windows (so skeptical it's really a hardware issue?). Any ideas? I've been trouble shooting for hours and can't figure out how to get OpenCore to load after I adjust the reset BIOS settings. (Note upon CMOS reset, my Hacktonish shows up as a drive just like my Windows one does.)

Thanks!
Andrew
Hello @astutzman,

Some questions / comments:
  • Does OpenCore Picker appear consistently on every boot?
  • Are you running BIOS F9g or F9i?
  • In BIOS Setup --> Boot, is CFG-LOCK disabled?
  • And of course the big question: Do you have a macOS bootable backup?

Back