Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@bobmeister ,

Greetings. I have almost the exact same build -down to the RAM brand, model, and speed. Just for laughs, please setup a new (but basically the same) BIOS settings (load Optimized Defaults and save it to a new "Slot" in your BIOS' saved settings: Turn off CSM, turn off XMP 1 Profile and set your RAM speed to 2666MHz. Since your running an 18,3 profile make sure the iGPU is set to On and not Auto. Set your UEFI Boot device so that the only option for now is the right disk with your Open Core EFI. Save all that again into the new slot, reload it (to make sure) from that new memory slot, Save and Exit Setup (reboot...) tap away at F12 and make sure the right EFI is loading and then the right OS device. See if that fixes things. FWIW, I've not had issues with the latest BIOS version, but it may be because I'm staying on Mojave. I'm using an iMP configuration because it's been better for my computronic needs.

Attachments

• XMP and CSM disabled.jpg
    XMP and CSM disabled.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 49
@bobmeister ,

Greetings. I have almost the exact same build -down to the RAM brand, model, and speed. Just for laughs, please setup a new (but basically the same) BIOS settings (load Optimized Defaults and save it to a new "Slot" in your BIOS' saved settings: Turn off CSM, turn off XMP 1 Profile and set your RAM speed to 2666MHz. Since your running an 18,3 profile make sure the iGPU is set to On and not Auto. Set your UEFI Boot device so that the only option for now is the right disk with your Open Core EFI. Save all that again into the new slot, reload it (to make sure) from that new memory slot, Save and Exit Setup (reboot...) tap away at F12 and make sure the right EFI is loading and then the right OS device. See if that fixes things. FWIW, I've not had issues with the latest BIOS version, but it may be because I'm staying on Mojave. I'm using an iMP configuration because it's been better for my computronic needs.

Thanks, @jiffyslot !

Just to make sure I understand:

I changed the RAM setting in: Tweaker > System Memory Multiplier - Is that correct?

I did that and all your other suggestions and also flashed NVRAM on reboot.

I got Apple logo, but no progress bar. After 3 minutes of no activity, I forced shut down.

It was worth a try!

To be clear: you're using CaseySJ's without any modifications (except SMBIOS, of course)? And those are the only tweaks to the BIOS you made from the Optimized Defaults? And do all the ports on your RX 580 work?

======================================

@CaseySJ : When I try your EFI, I get the following messages at the z390 splash screen:

OCS: No schema for ResetTrafficClass at 6 index, context <Audio>!
OCS: No schema for GopPassThrough at 4 index, context <Output>!
OCS: No schema for ActivateHpetSupport at 0 index, context <Quirks>!

I did some searches to find out what these mean, so far without success.

Thanks, @jiffyslot !

I changed the RAM setting in: Tweaker > System Memory Multiplier - Is that correct?

I got Apple logo, but no progress bar. After 3 minutes of no activity, I forced shut down.

It was worth a try!

To be clear: you're using CaseySJ's without any modifications (except SMBIOS, of course)? And those are the only tweaks to the BIOS you made from the Optimized Defaults? And do all the ports on your RX 580 work?
@bobmeister

Wait for a definitive answer from CaseySJ by all means!

But if I were you, I would revert to BIOS F9i which I'm using without problems. Some later versions are highly problematic. I'm using OC 0.6.7 with Big Sur 11.2.3.

It also sounds like your Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 may be having some driver compatibility problems. As the progress bar reaches 1/2 - 3/4 my screens on multiple hacks go black for a couple seconds. I think video drivers are loaded at that point. It sounds like a viable video driver is not being loaded. It sure should take minutes for an image to appear.

Lastly, I would try CaseySJ's suggestion about using the i9-9900K's video. If that works you might be able to troubleshoot your issue more easily.

My gut instinct is some compatibility issue with your card (and/or monitor.) I have a Radeon Pulse RX 580 using HDMI without issue from Mojave through Big Sur.

Those OCS warnings are innocuous. I don't know how you are editing the OC plist, but somehow you may have introduced some entries that are no longer needed.

@CaseySJ : When I try your EFI, I get the following messages at the z390 splash screen:

This indicates a mismatch between the version of OpenCore installed on the system and "OpenCore Configurator". The latest version of OpenCore Configurator only supports the most recent release version and the upcoming development version. Older versions of OpenCore Configurator are available for download.

Please check OpenCore Configurator --> Preferences, as follows:
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 10.09.05 AM.png

@CaseySJ Success! Thanks so much!

The problems went away with a clean install of Mojave. Specifically, I followed CaseySJ’s instructions:

1. I reverted the Z390 firmware to F9i and set it up as described in the first post (plus disable CFG lock as recommended in another post).

2. Opened config.plist in OpenCore Configurator 2.48 and saved. This got rid of the error messages at the Z390 splash screen.

3. Did a fresh install of Mojave on a new SSD, then booted from CaseySJ’s OpenCore EFI on a USB flash drive.

It booted up without issue - and quicker than ever! Next, I installed the latest Mojave security update, and that went without issue too.

(With my previous Clover EFI, obtained elsewhere, I had to disconnect all the internal SATA drives to get updates to install. I didn't have to do that this time. Excellent!)

So far, everything I've tested works: Bluetooth, WiFi, all USB ports (including the front-panel ones on the Fractal Define R6 USB-C: USB 2, USB 3, and USB C), USB via the Thunderbolt ports (I don't have any Thunderbolt devices to test), both Ethernet ports (I use both - one for internet, the other for a Metric Halo ULN-8 audio interface), and both HDMI ports. Both Display Port ports work, but I still get flickering bands. I think the [brand new] cable is bad. On the software side, Messages and iCloud sync services are working.

Lesson learned. Clean installs can do wonders!

A couple of "big picture" Hackintosh questions for the experts:

1. How/why is it that some EFI folders floating around only work on one version of macOS, while the one posted by CaseySJ works with Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur?

Apparently, it's not necessary to remove support for previous versions when a new version comes out, so I wonder why so few people post EFIs specific to one version. Lack of knowledge? Too labor-intensive?

2. Any idea what specific things on my previous Mojave drive might have been interfering with Clovr and OpenCore? It was a vanilla install, and I thought that didn't mess with the System.

In any case, this is the best this machine has performed, and I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Thanks again, @CaseySJ

Last edited:
Thanks, @jiffyslot !

It was worth a try!

======================================

Yes, I'm following the build guide. I'm using all the BIOS tweaks from the guide to a T: I only highlighted a couple parameters that some people toggle, like the XMP setting. I chose my RAM so that it's "base speed" would match the 19,1 and 1,1 generic RAM speeds without overclocking.

I agree with Casey's suggestions he mentioned earlier (above) -especially if you want to use Catalina or Big Sur.

I have only HDMI and DVI monitor connections.FWIW, I have the Sapphire Pulse and I leave the switch on "Compute" mode instead of "Performance" mode. When a new version of OC comes out, I always nuke and replace the previous EFI once the new one passes. But I keep the same build profile and its associated "numbers".

If I have a system that starts to act up, I have no qualms with deactivating software and nuking the SSD. I have Gatekeeper and SIP enabled and there are no traces of Clover on my Z390 system.

Lesson learned. Clean installs can do wonders!
Glad to hear it!

A couple of "big picture" Hackintosh questions for the experts:

1. How/why is it that some EFI folders floating around only work on one version of macOS, while the one posted by CaseySJ works with Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur?
Some kernel extensions such as USBInjectAll 0.7.6 are compiled using newer macOS frameworks and are compatible only with Catalina and up. We therefore use MinKernel and MaxKernel to inject the appropriate kexts for Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. We also use native NVRAM, which means CFG-Lock must be disabled. Other EFI folders floating around the web might be doing something of this sort.

2. Any idea what specific things on my previous Mojave drive might have been interfering with Clovr and OpenCore? It was a vanilla install, and I thought that didn't mess with the System.
That's hard to say without taking a close look at the previous EFI.

Hi @CaseySJ ,

Long time no speak.. Just want to try an understand what the difference is between disabling SIP and removing the csr-active-config altogether as per the below. I don't quite understand why we would delete it, does this also disable it. I currently have csr-active-config set to E7030000 as when I set it to 00000000 I had some issues with programs loading. Should I be moving to having this enabled? what are the risks in leaving it as disabled? What does deleting it do? Sorry for all the questions haha. Also would this have anything to do with my VERY SLOW boot up time and once the Hack boots into BigSur it can take up to 40 seconds for the top menu bar to appear (This has only started happening since OC 0.6.7 (Also Safari can take up to 1 minute to load its default page with all my history and bookmarks)

** I have tried to remove the Audiodxe driver and unselected Audio Support and this made no difference to my long boot time (from Gigabyte splash screen to OC Picker)

config.plist Changes:
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled (change to Default for OpenIntelWireless)
  • Kernel --> Patch --> F1/F2 Brightness Keys --> Disabled
  • NVRAM --> Add --> csr-active-config --> 00000000 (SIP Enabled for System Integrity Protection)
    • If you need to disable SIP, set this to E7030000
  • NVRAM --> Delete --> csr-active-config (allows us to change SIP without needing to Reset NVRAM)

** Mini-Guide for Flashing SPI ROM Chips using 3.3V CH341A Programmer **
Please do not quote the entire mini-guide. Post a link instead.​

Hey all,

A while ago I successfully flashed a X299X Designare and ASUS ThunderboltEX3 (1-port). Now I'm trying to do the same with an GC-Alpine Ridge (rev. 2), with the same ch341a SPI.

I can read the flash contents. Sometimes it returns the same hashes, sometimes random hashes. Even when all three test files are identical, I can't seem to flash onto the board. I receive:

Code:
MacBook-Pro-van-roel:1 temp$ sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi -w AlpineRidgeGC-V3.bin
flashrom v1.2 on Darwin 19.6.0 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q80.V" (1024 kB, SPI) on ch341a_spi.
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip... FAILED at 0x00000000! Expected=0xff, Found=0x00, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x00000fff: 0x1000
ERASE FAILED!
Reading current flash chip contents... done. Looking for another erase function.
FAILED at 0x00000000! Expected=0xff, Found=0x00, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x00007fff: 0x8000
ERASE FAILED!
Reading current flash chip contents... done. Looking for another erase function.
FAILED at 0x00000000! Expected=0xff, Found=0x00, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x0000ffff: 0x10000
ERASE FAILED!
FAILED at 0x00000000! Expected=0xff, Found=0x00, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x000fffff: 0x100000
ERASE FAILED!
FAILED at 0x00000000! Expected=0xff, Found=0x00, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x000fffff: 0x100000
ERASE FAILED!
Looking for another erase function.
Looking for another erase function.
No usable erase functions left.
FAILED!
Uh oh. Erase/write failed. Checking if anything has changed.
Reading current flash chip contents... done.
Apparently at least some data has changed.
Your flash chip is in an unknown state.
Please report this on IRC at chat.freenode.net (channel #flashrom) or
mail [email protected], thanks!

Is there a thing I missed? I tried reattaching the SPI reader many times, checked all the cables and jumpers (nothing changed compared to the X299X anyway), and it reads out but doesn't want to write. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ ,

Long time no speak.. Just want to try an understand what the difference is between disabling SIP and removing the csr-active-config altogether as per the below. I don't quite understand why we would delete it, does this also disable it. I currently have csr-active-config set to E7030000 as when I set it to 00000000 I had some issues with programs loading. Should I be moving to having this enabled? what are the risks in leaving it as disabled? What does deleting it do? Sorry for all the questions haha. Also would this have anything to do with my VERY SLOW boot up time and once the Hack boots into BigSur it can take up to 40 seconds for the top menu bar to appear (This has only started happening since OC 0.6.7 (Also Safari can take up to 1 minute to load its default page with all my history and bookmarks)

** I have tried to remove the Audiodxe driver and unselected Audio Support and this made no difference to my long boot time (from Gigabyte splash screen to OC Picker)

config.plist Changes:
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled (change to Default for OpenIntelWireless)
  • Kernel --> Patch --> F1/F2 Brightness Keys --> Disabled
  • NVRAM --> Add --> csr-active-config --> 00000000 (SIP Enabled for System Integrity Protection)
    • If you need to disable SIP, set this to E7030000
  • NVRAM --> Delete --> csr-active-config (allows us to change SIP without needing to Reset NVRAM)
Hello @Lukey1979,

I would suggest the following:

Option 1:
  • Boot macOS. At the Login screen enter your password, then immediately press and hold SHIFT key while clicking the OK button (or simply SHIFT-ENTER). This will disable all auto-start applications from auto starting.
  • Check time-to-menu-bar.
  • Check time-to-Safari-default-page.
  • Then open Terminal and type launchctl list | grep -v apple. Post the output.
  • Then reboot and login normally (without holding down SHIFT key), then open Terminal once again and type the same command again launchctl list | grep -v apple. Post the output.
Option 2:
  • Install macOS from scratch on a spare SSD. Even a 128GB or 256GB SATA SSD is more than sufficient.
  • Use the same EFI folder as you're using now (OC 0.6.7 with same serial numbers).
  • When installation is completed, do not use Migration Assistant, but log in to iCloud.
  • On this clean system you may test:
    • Boot time
    • Time from login to menu bar appearance
    • Time to launch Safari

Back