Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi. Well, I hate to admit it but, I've Killed the Alpine Ridge add in card :cry:. So now we (A friend of mine and me) are going to do a Full upgrade project. We are going to replace MB, and CPU. It was hard, but we found a Z390 designare to work with, so when it arrives, we will start over again with this but, since the Z390 designare has built in thunderbolt and CaseySJ proved it to be working, I feel more relaxed than doing experiments with the B150M-D3H-CF and the Alpine Ridge Add In card.
Thank you so much @CaseySJ (and others) for the help. We'll see again in a month.

Hi

No thunderbolt connects at DSB1 or DSB4 in IOREG
Before when TB was working a couple days ago i saw the JHL7540 controller in Hackintool
TB device tested
-Uad Apollo Twin
-Sabrent Thunderbolt enclosure witn nvme

USB-c connects fine in the Thunderbolt port.even hotswap
I use a Sandisk extremev2 for that
I looked at the original Thunderbolt firmware for the MSI Z490i UNIFY and it seems it uses the LP version of the Titan Ridge controller, device 0x15E7. This reminded me of @dgsga's excellent effort described here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2186035

So let's try the following:
  • Attached ZIP contains a new Thunderbolt firmware file called ITX-TB3-NVM50-E64Fr-CSJ-dgsga.bin
  • Please flash that to the controller.
  • Then replace TTRidge.aml with the new version also included in the attached ZIP.

Attachments

• MSI Z490i Unify.zip
    278.2 KB · Views: 42
Hi. Well, I hate to admit it but, I've Killed the Alpine Ridge add in card :cry:. So now we (A friend of mine and me) are going to do a Full upgrade project. We are going to replace MB, and CPU.
Sorry to hear that... :(

It was hard, but we found a Z390 designare to work with, so when it arrives, we will start over again with this but, since the Z390 designare has built in thunderbolt and CaseySJ proved it to be working, I feel more relaxed than doing experiments with the B150M-D3H-CF and the Alpine Ridge Add In card.
But glad to hear this! :)

Thanks a lot for your detailed help! (your commitment here is incredible!)

But regarding the effort, wouldn't it be nearly the same amount of work to do a complete fresh install? After fresh install, i would have to manually copy&paste all the Homefolder-Content to the new one, but that would be basically it, or am I wrong?
Or what is the advantage of keeping the serial number?
I was thinking to update to Catalina anyway...
Sure, a fresh install would be okay too. The same serial numbers should be used so that your third party software licenses can be reapplied when those applications are reinstalled. If you use a different serial number, your existing software licenses will think you're using a different machine and will therefore check to see if you're entitled to using the same license on another machine. In many cases you will see a "License Reused" error or "License Used Too Many Times."

I looked at the original Thunderbolt firmware for the MSI Z490i UNIFY and it seems it uses the LP version of the Titan Ridge controller, device 0x15E7. This reminded me of @dgsga's excellent effort described here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2186035

So let's try the following:
  • Attached ZIP contains a new Thunderbolt firmware file called ITX-TB3-NVM50-E64Fr-CSJ-dgsga.bin
  • Please flash that to the controller.
  • Then replace TTRidge.aml with the new version also included in the attached ZIP.
Hi @CaseySJ

I flashed the firmware and Thunderbolt still doesn't mount.
USB-C drive mounts/hotswap but speed is not correct when connected to TB Port.
When I connect to front USB-C Header, it's OK.

Some screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.54.12.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.54.12.png
    442.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.53.27.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.53.27.png
    214.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.52.04.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.52.04.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 61
@CaseySJ

My Z590i Vision D arrives tomorrow.
Are you interested to help me out with the SSDT's?
Or anything else you need from the board like TB firmware

Cheers
Sure, that sounds like fun... :)

But let's discuss that in this thread (because @ori69 purchased the same board):

Hi @CaseySJ

I flashed the firmware and Thunderbolt still doesn't mount.
USB-C drive mounts/hotswap but speed is not correct when connected to TB Port.
When I connect to front USB-C Header, it's OK.

Some screenshots
Well, we tried! Probably best to flash the original firmware back and focus on the new Z590i Vision D instead...

This is regarding CaseySJ's OpenCore 0.6.6 EFI for Designare Z390, posted here (thank you, Casey!).

Today I had mixed success booting my Mojave i9 Hackintosh with it. I've been using a Clover for almost two years with a Vanilla installation.

In short: the boot process hangs for 15 minutes and then rapidly finishes. The HDMI output on the GPU shuts off during the boot and remains off.

Details:

When booting, the Apple logo and progress bar appear. When the progress bar is 75-80 percent full, my LCD monitor, connected to the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 via HDMI, goes black and flashes a “no signal” warning, its power LED turning from blue to yellow (yellow=sleep).

1-3 minutes after the screen goes black, I can access the Hackintosh (which is connected to my LAN via Ethernet) from my MacBook Pro via smb and access all the internal drives without issue.

I can connect via screen sharing and see the black screen.

15 minutes after the screen first goes black, the Apple logo and progress bar re-appear via Screen Sharing - but not on the monitor. The progress bar quickly fills the remaining 20-25 percent, and the Desktop appears as normal. Boot is complete, and the machine seems to operate normally.

This same issue occurred when booting from Clover (it’s the main reason I’m here), except that there the resumption of the Apple logo and progress bar is visible on the monitor. In other words, the GPU resumes sending an HDMI signal. When booting from OpenCore, the screen stays black.

I don't know exactly when this issue started, but I think it was after one of the Mojave security updates. (I made a mistake and made cloned backups before discovering the issue. Aargh.)

The GPU is Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8G, and the monitor is connected via HDMI. I'm waiting for a display port cable to arrive, to see if that might work after the boot completes.

The only modifications to CaseySJ's config.plist I made are:

- Removed the USBInectAll kexts and added USBPorts.kext (which I mapped previously). Via screen sharing, I checked a few of the ports and they seem fine.

- Added my existing SMBIOS

I've done hours of googling and troubleshooting to no avail.

I did flash the NVRAM at the OpenCore picker before booting.

BIOS is as described in Casey's post for F8 except I left Thunderbolt USB support disabled. Also, I disabled CFG Lock.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

Z390 Designare firmware is 9j
i9-9900K
Mojave 10.14.6, latest security update
iMac 18,3 SMBIOS
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8G - BIOS switch is set to "Performance" mode
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM

P.S. Just to be safe, I checked Library/Extensions as per the Clover to O.C. transition guide. I didn't expect any of the unwanted kexts to be there since I've only run a Vanilla Hackintosh, and indeed there were none.

Last edited:
Hello @bobmeister,

Welcome to the forum, and kudos on the detailed writeup. Some immediate thoughts:
  • When was BIOS F9j installed? We do not recommend using it. Please see warning just below the photo at the top of Post 1. Instead, we should use either BIOS F9g or F9i, both of which can be downloaded from one of the links in Section 1 of the Quick Reference spoiler (also at the top of Post 1).
  • Have you flipped the Sapphire Nitro's VBIOS switch from Performance mode to Standard (or Silent) mode? Does it make any difference?
  • One option is to temporarily use Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 to enable video output from the three on-board video ports (one HDMI and two Thunderbolt/DisplayPorts). This will require the use of config-Intel-iGPU.plist (i.e. copying your serial numbers into this file for OpenCore 0.6.6 and renaming the file to config.plist). Then we would disconnect HDMI cable from Sapphire and plug it into the rear IO panel.
  • If you are quite certain that this problem started after the recent Mojave Security Update, then if all else fails, we would need to consider:
    • Option 1: Reinstalling Mojave, preferably on a spare SSD first, but with the same serial numbers are you're using now (i.e. use the same EFI folder). Then see if you can easily reinstall your apps and relicense them.
    • Option 2: Cloning Mojave to another spare SSD, booting from the spare SSD, and doing an in-place upgrade from Mojave to Catalina on that SSD. This assumes, of course, that your applications are all compatible with Catalina.
  • I do like your idea of trying a DisplayPort cable first. That should be the top priority.

Thanks so much for all this @CaseySJ !

Hello @bobmeister,

• When was BIOS F9j installed? We do not recommend using it. Please see warning just below the photo at the top of Post 1. Instead, we should use either BIOS F9g or F9i, both of which can be downloaded from one of the links in Section 1 of the Quick Reference spoiler (also at the top of Post 1).
I installed F9j today. When the problem first appeared under Clover, I was running F5. Updating to F9j didn't change anything as far as I can tell.

If I don’t need to attach USB devices to the Thunderbolt ports, is F9j otherwise OK?

If I maxed out the 15 USB ports between the Z390 Back Plate and the case‘s Front Panel ports, then I can’t enable USB on the Thunderdbolt ports - correct?

• Have you flipped the Sapphire Nitro's VBIOS switch from Performance mode to Standard (or Silent) mode? Does it make any difference?

Changing the VBIOS mode has an effect on the symptoms, but doesn't resolve the issue. It depends on whether CSM Support is enabled in the z390 BIOS :

With CSM Support enabled, the z390 boot screen appears, the HDMi signal drops and stays dropped as described in my original post, and I'm able to connect to the computer via smb, with the VBIOS switch in either position.

Likewise with CSM Support disabled and the VBIOS switch in Performance mode.

With CSM Support disabled and the VBIOS switch in Silent mode, the monitor never powers up at all - not even for the z390 launch screen - and the Hackintosh does not appear on the network.

I had similar issues when booting via Clover.

• One option is to temporarily use Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 to enable video output from the three on-board video ports (one HDMI and two Thunderbolt/DisplayPorts). This will require the use of config-Intel-iGPU.plist (i.e. copying your serial numbers into this file for OpenCore 0.6.6 and renaming the file to config.plist). Then we would disconnect HDMI cable from Sapphire and plug it into the rear IO panel.
  • If you are quite certain that this problem started after the recent Mojave Security Update, then if all else fails, we would need to consider:
    • Option 1: Reinstalling Mojave, preferably on a spare SSD first, but with the same serial numbers are you're using now (i.e. use the same EFI folder). Then see if you can easily reinstall your apps and relicense them.
    • Option 2: Cloning Mojave to another spare SSD, booting from the spare SSD, and doing an in-place upgrade from Mojave to Catalina on that SSD. This assumes, of course, that your applications are all compatible with Catalina.
  • I do like your idea of trying a DisplayPort cable first. That should be the top priority.

I can't remember when I last did a fresh install - it's been that long.

I dread fresh installs because I have many music production applications and plugins which scatter user presets in different (and inconsistent) places. Finding and transferring them is a pain. But it's time for a fresh start.

Right now I'm considering both Option 1 followed by Option 2.

I've been considering Catalina (or the next update of Big Sur) because one my main music apps (Dorico) will require Catalina or higher for its next major update. (All the apps I use regularly are compatible with Catalina.)

EDIT: The Display Port cable arrived. Plugged it in while booted via Clover and got gray-ish horizontal bands flickering randomly across the screen (with and without the HDMI cable is still connected). Restarted the computer with only DP connected to the GPU; I got the z390 boot screen at first, but once the screen went black, it stayed that way, though the spinning beach ball appeared later. Also, Finder and Screen Sharing connection via smb didn't work.

Booting via @CaseySJ's OpenCore EFI with only the DP cable connected, the behavior was the same as described in my original post, with the addition of the flickering bars up until the display went to sleep: z390 boot screen and OC boot picker were visible, Apple logo and progress bar were visible until about 75 percent done, and the Hackintosh was available on the LAN. One slight difference: this time, the desktop became visible after about 12-13 minutes instead of 15 minutes (the 15 minute lag when booting via Clover has been very consistent). One other thing I noticed this time is that while the screen was still black, I was able to move the cursor via my Magic Trackpad, as seen via Screen Sharing. In other words, it seems that the computer is actually functional despite the black screen.

Will try to borrow a DP cable from a neighbor and test this one on his computer, but I suspect the cable is OK.

My display resolution is 2560 x 1440 (QHD).

One more piece of info I forgot to mention: When booting in Clover, purple horizontal bars appeared on the screen shortly before it went black. (I read somewhere that these indicate a check being run on the GPU...)

Thanks again!

-B

Last edited:
Back