Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi,

I am currently running Big Sur 11.2.1 with OpenCore 0.6.5. My hardware is exactly the same as in the original post.

I have followed the instructions in the mini guide for updating to 0.6.7 and I am having the issue that the USB stick does not boot. I get an "ocb loadimage failed unsupported"-error.

I followed the instructions in the upgrade mini-guide several times from scratch without any luck. I tried both options available in HackinDROM as well (Z390 Designare OC 067 AMD and Intel), though I do have a Radeon RX 580 8 GB.

Some observations:
  • The open core boot menu shows the boot disk as "EFI" in the disk options, is this correct or should the drive name be shown?
  • I tried to set the SecureBootModel to Default without success
  • NVRAM --> Add --> csr-active-config is set to AAAAAA== from the file downloaded from HackinDROM, though the mini-guide states that this value was changed to 00000000
  • I did run the Reset NVRAM command
  • It doesn't say in the guide what I should do with "config-AMD-GPU" and "config-Intel-iGPU" plist files, so I tried removing them and keeping them
  • I formatted the USB stick every time that I tried different things and gave it a name, shouldn't matter what name this is I guess.
  • I mounted the EFI on the USB stick and copied over the zip file "OC-067-DESIGNARE-Z390" to it, renamed it to EFI and then copied over the new config.plist file downloaded from HackinDROM to EFI/OC
I have the feeling that there is small detailed that I might have done wrong, but not sure which one.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

I am currently running Big Sur 11.2.1 with OpenCore 0.6.5. My hardware is exactly the same as in the original post.

I have followed the instructions in the mini guide for updating to 0.6.7 and I am having the issue that the USB stick does not boot. I get an "ocb loadimage failed unsupported"-error.
We can usually clear this error as follows:
  • BIOS Setup --> Boot --> Set first boot priority to the name of the internal macOS SSD (not "OpenCore"). On the next reboot the first boot priority should change to "OpenCore", which is fine.

I followed the instructions in the upgrade mini-guide several times from scratch without any luck. I tried both options available in HackinDROM as well (Z390 Designare OC 067 AMD and Intel), though I do have a Radeon RX 580 8 GB.

Some observations:
  • The open core boot menu shows the boot disk as "EFI" in the disk options, is this correct or should the drive name be shown?
The name of the boot disk should be shown in addition to "EFI". We should select the name of the boot disk.

• I tried to set the SecureBootModel to Default without success
  • NVRAM --> Add --> csr-active-config is set to AAAAAA== from the file downloaded from HackinDROM, though the mini-guide states that this value was changed to 00000000
Those are the same:
  • AAAAAA== is Base64. When converted to Base10 it becomes 00000000.
Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 9.13.53 AM.png

• I did run the Reset NVRAM command
  • It doesn't say in the guide what I should do with "config-AMD-GPU" and "config-Intel-iGPU" plist files, so I tried removing them and keeping them
It's okay to keep them for future use. It's also okay to delete them.

The attached ZIP contains two versions. Please try MOD1 first. If there are problems, switch to MOD2.
Hi @CaseySJ

I'm back:)

Finally Flashed your firmware!
My old Soic8 clip was broken so i had to order a new one:p
Mod 2 seems to be better then 1
However i cant connect to the thunderbolt port within OS
When i run Hackintool the controller is not visible,i guess its not injected in OS?
I tried several things, with the old USB custom kext----nothing
with USB Inject all----nothing

All with your custom made TTridge.aml
I'm running out of ideas..what to do next?

This build is for a friend of mine, he's a music producer
He wanted a machine wich he can easily take to 2 different studio's
I chose for a mini itx motherboard with Lian li TU 150 case.
about a month ago the gigabyte Z590i Vision D wasn't available.
I took the MSI Z490i Unify because of the thunderbolt connection.
Even with the untouched original firmware thunderbolt was not stable.
I'm going to buy a Z590i Vision D..I'm pretty sure its a better Mobo cause of the thunderbolt.

I keep the MSI Z490i Unify for myself to test it out further if we can get Hotswap to work
with the help of @CaseySJ

Here are some screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 20.34.22.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 20.34.22.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 20.48.53.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 20.48.53.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 20.42.00.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 20.42.00.png
    210.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OK. The usual, I am totally confused. I would like to update from 10.15.4 to Big Sur (mainly to run the latest versions of LightRoom and PhotoShop) and I am wondering whether I need to Nuke and Pave or just update. I updated Clover from the my 5118 to the latest 5131. However, Casey says not to use that version. I see mention of OpenCore, but I don't see step by step usage info, and the version I downloaded, 0.6.7 is incomprehensible to me. I guess it is time to slow-down and spend-up to a M1 Mac Mini, ugh. I have my backup in case of failure and I am ready to spend a rainy day or two updating -- but is it possible?

Z390 Designare | i7 8700 | RX 580 Pulse 8GB

OK. The usual, I am totally confused. I would like to update from 10.15.4 to Big Sur (mainly to run the latest versions of LightRoom and PhotoShop) and I am wondering whether I need to Nuke and Pave or just update. I updated Clover from the my 5118 to the latest 5131. However, Casey says not to use that version. I see mention of OpenCore, but I don't see step by step usage info, and the version I downloaded, 0.6.7 is incomprehensible to me. I guess it is time to slow-down and spend-up to a M1 Mac Mini, ugh. I have my backup in case of failure and I am ready to spend a rainy day or two updating -- but is it possible?

I am running the latest versions of LR and PS on Mojave. There's no need to upgrade to Big Sur.

This can be done by following this mini-guide:
Briefly, the process is as follows:
  • Check if we're running BIOS F9g or F9i.
    • If so, disabled CFG-Lock from the BIOS Setup --> Boot menu.
    • If not, install either F9g or F9i (see the link above).
  • Make a full bootable backup of Catalina.
  • Replace Clover with OpenCore.
  • Boot into Catalina.
  • Perform an in-place upgrade to Big Sur from System Preferences --> Software Update.

Hi @CaseySJ

I'm back:)

Finally Flashed your firmware!
My old Soic8 clip was broken so i had to order a new one:p
Mod 2 seems to be better then 1
However i cant connect to the thunderbolt port within OS
When i run Hackintool the controller is not visible,i guess its not injected in OS?
I tried several things, with the old USB custom kext----nothing
with USB Inject all----nothing

All with your custom made TTridge.aml
I'm running out of ideas..what to do next?

This build is for a friend of mine, he's a music producer
He wanted a machine wich he can easily take to 2 different studio's
I chose for a mini itx motherboard with Lian li TU 150 case.
about a month ago the gigabyte Z590i Vision D wasn't available.
I took the MSI Z490i Unify because of the thunderbolt connection.
Even with the untouched original firmware thunderbolt was not stable.
I'm going to buy a Z590i Vision D..I'm pretty sure its a better Mobo cause of the thunderbolt.

I keep the MSI Z490i Unify for myself to test it out further if we can get Hotswap to work
with the help of @CaseySJ

Here are some screenshots.
SSP1 and SSP2 are present in Hackintool, so those two USB-C ports are present. However, IOReg shows that they're not working. USB-C devices may only work if they're connected before booting macOS.

However, first test a Thunderbolt device. It should appear under either DSB1 or DSB4 in IOReg. Please try connecting that device (a) before booting macOS and (b) hot plugging it after logging into macOS.

We can see that Thunderbolt Bus is activated and the Thunderbolt device tree (IOReg) looks okay except for the missing DSB2.RHUB (USB-C controller).

Good question and glad you asked, because this can be tricky! Here is my suggestion:
  • Install Mojave from scratch on the XPG 256GB SSD.
    • Format the XPG drive in Disk Utility with:
      • Name: Anything
      • Format: APFS
      • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
    • Mount EFI partitions of old boot disk and new XPG SSD.
    • Copy EFI folder from old boot disk to new XPG SSD (to EFI partition).
    • This ensures that same serial numbers are used.
  • When the Mojave welcome screen appears, create your user account.
    • Use the same account name as before.
    • The account will be created on the XPG SSD (which is okay for now).
  • Format the new 970 EVO 1TB disk in Disk Utility as APFS.
    • This is your new home/user disk.
  • Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old Home Disk/Partition to the new 970 EVO 1TB disk.
  • Now open System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Advanced, and change the location of home folder to the 970 EVO 1TB disk.
  • Next, reinstall all of your Applications to the XPG 256GB SSD.
    • You can mount the old OS Disk/Partition and use Finder to copy most third-party apps from the old Applications folder to the new Applications folder.
    • Some applications cannot be simply dragged-and-dropped, but need to be installed through their Installer.
    • When these applications are launched, they should find existing license files. If not, it will be necessary to re-enter the license information.
As you can see, this procedure is a bit more involved. We cannot simply clone everything back. This is because you are changing the disk topology. In other words:
  • You are going from a single 1TB NVMe SSD with 2 APFS partitions --> to --> one 256GB SSD and one 1TB SSD, both with 1 APFS partition.
  • This is why the recovery process is a bit more involved.
Thanks a lot for your detailed help! (your commitment here is incredible!)

But regarding the effort, wouldn't it be nearly the same amount of work to do a complete fresh install? After fresh install, i would have to manually copy&paste all the Homefolder-Content to the new one, but that would be basically it, or am I wrong?
Or what is the advantage of keeping the serial number?
I was thinking to update to Catalina anyway...

Keeping the same serial number can help with software registration, possibly TM backups (or other backup software may use it), apple id logins for facetime/messages/icloud, so I would take the couple of seconds to copy/paste the values to the OC install.

It's probably faster to do a fresh install and copy over the home folder if you don't have a bunch of 3rd party software installed. The more software installed, the more it switches over to upgrading the existing install, as you don't have to track down serial numbers/install packages/etc...

When I was doing this, however, I did find it was easy to mess up upgrading and switching from Clover to OC, as IIRC, Clover copies some/all Extensions in the real extensions folders on disk, and those also have to be removed, as OC loads those extensions from the EFI folder without copying to the real extensions folders.

While I was building/testing my computer, I got it initially going on Mojave with Clover, but botched the job somehow switching to OC & upgrading that install to Catalina. Eventually, I just wiped it, and did a clean install of Catalina w OC, and that worked fine. And then later, once I was confident the computer was working fine, I copied over the Mojave install from my MacBookPro to the disk with OC, it booted fine, then upgraded it to Catalina (also fine), and finally to Big Sur 11.2, then 11.2.2,then 11.2.3), and it's been fine. I've got all kinds of software installed, and it's been working well for me.

SSP1 and SSP2 are present in Hackintool, so those two USB-C ports are present. However, IOReg shows that they're not working. USB-C devices may only work if they're connected before booting macOS.

However, first test a Thunderbolt device. It should appear under either DSB1 or DSB4 in IOReg. Please try connecting that device (a) before booting macOS and (b) hot plugging it after logging into macOS.

We can see that Thunderbolt Bus is activated and the Thunderbolt device tree (IOReg) looks okay except for the missing DSB2.RHUB (USB-C controller).
Hi

No thunderbolt connects at DSB1 or DSB4 in IOREG
Before when TB was working a couple days ago i saw the JHL7540 controller in Hackintool
TB device tested
-Uad Apollo Twin
-Sabrent Thunderbolt enclosure witn nvme

USB-c connects fine in the Thunderbolt port.even hotswap
I use a Sandisk extremev2 for that

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 22.53.54.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 22.53.54.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 22.32.03.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 22.32.03.png
    256.1 KB · Views: 43