Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

That’s what happens when you’re buying coffee and typing at the same time! :) Link added to original post.
Sorry casey,
I'm a noob in Linux.
I booted from OpenCore picker to Unbuntu.
Then I selected "try Unbuntu".
Type in Terminal the codes.

Attachments

• IMG_1807.png
    IMG_1807.png
    16 MB · Views: 46
With my Alpine Ridge card, I have had better luck with the V1 and V2 firmware (by Elias) than with the V3 (NATA). I saw the caution about reported problems. But, if it were me, I would try both V1 and V2.
Thank you. I'll try it and will come back. Just a little doubt. Do you know if I need to make the DROM again after reflashing?

Sorry casey,
I'm a noob in Linux.
I booted from OpenCore picker to Unbuntu.
Then I selected "try Unbuntu".
Type in Terminal the codes.
I didn't read the post good..my bad

is this what you need?

Attachments

• thunderboltinfo.txt
    794 bytes · Views: 55
I didn't read the post good..my bad

is this what you need?
Thanks @vipermachine. That's part of it. It seems that script did not capture the Thunderbolt DROM so let's do that manually as described in this post:

It should be sufficient to type this in Linux Terminal window:
Bash:
dd if=/sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/0-0/nvm_active0/nvmem of=~/Documents/TB3-Controller-0-Fw.bin bs=4096 count=256
This will generate a file in the Documents folder called TB3-Controller-0-Fw.bin. Please zip and post that file.

@CaseySJ

A bit offtopic, I saw your post about your new MacBook Pro with Ice Lake processor here. I have Ice Lake laptop with TB3 port, But I am not sure if it's working correctly or how to patch it.

I have my settings in BIOS unlocked, and I can change many settings of the Thunderbolt controller, but it's still don't appear under "System report" info. Do you have any ideas about that?

I will attach my dump here from TBT chip
Hello @b0ltun,

In System Information --> Thunderbolt we will see No drivers are loaded as long as Thunderbolt Bus is not activated. Fortunately we can safely ignore this. Simply connect your Thunderbolt device prior to boot and see if it works. It should appear in IORegistryExplorer.

We can download IORegistryExplorer from here. If you select File --> Save As... and post the saved file, we can take a closer look.

Thanks @vipermachine. That's part of it. It seems that script did not capture the Thunderbolt DROM so let's do that manually as described in this post:

It should be sufficient to type this in Linux Terminal window:
Bash:
dd if=/sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/0-0/nvm_active0/nvmem of=~/Documents/TB3-Controller-0-Fw.bin bs=4096 count=256
This will generate a file in the Documents folder called TB3-Controller-0-Fw.bin. Please zip and post that file.
Awesome

Here is the file

Attachments

• TB3-Controller-0-Fw.zip
    221.1 KB · Views: 43
Awesome

Here is the file
I've modified the Thunderbolt SSDT based on the real DROM. As mentioned earlier, this is not likely to make a difference, but we might as well try for the sake of completeness.

If this does not help, it may be justified to flash the firmware. You can still use this SSDT with the flashed firmware. The modified firmware was created for @S1lla, but I did not receive confirmation that it works. So if you decide to flash it (again, please be mindful of the risks involved) you'll be our beta tester. The modified firmware is attached here for convenience.

Attachments

• TTRidge.aml
    3.9 KB · Views: 45
  • MSI-MEG-Z490i-TB3-FW-MOD1-CASEYSJ.bin.zip
    443.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Yes. But keep in mind that there will be some “eccentricities” with any flashed controller. It won’t be perfect.
It does not work, even unbootable. Maybe I should try Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge add-in-card. Does that card work well with USB 3.1 hotplug?

Back