Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ

I cant get the Thunderbolt Hotplug working on my MSI Z490i Unify
I followed this guide for this build.
regarding the guide Hotplug should work.
I tried several settings in thunderbolt bios,but i cant get it to work.

In this post you modified the Firmware for this motherboard.
Do i need to flash the firmware to make it work?
would you be so kind to look at my EFI?

Thank you

Attachments

• EFI_Z490i.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 71
Hi @CaseySJ

I cant get the Thunderbolt Hotplug working on my MSI Z490i Unify
I followed this guide for this build.
regarding the guide Hotplug should work.
I tried several settings in thunderbolt bios,but i cant get it to work.

In this post you modified the Firmware for this motherboard.
Do i need to flash the firmware to make it work?
would you be so kind to look at my EFI?

Thank you
Hello @vipermachine,

Please post the following two files:
  • MaciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> System DSDT
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...
Also, do you happen to have any latest release of Linux installed on this machine?

Hello @vipermachine,

Please post the following two files:
  • MaciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> System DSDT
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...
Also, do you happen to have any latest release of Linux installed on this machine?

Hi @CaseySJ

Thank you for your quick reply.

Attach you find the 2 files.

Unfortunatly I dont have Linux.

I have the tools to read the the current firmware i've thats really neccesary.
If so i have to disassemble the motherboard.to read the winbond

Thank

Attachments

• System DSDT.dsl
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
  • Admin’s iMac.ioreg
    16.4 MB · Views: 44
Hello, I need some help. I got a Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge, I programmed on it one of the 3 available CF in this guide (by the way, it has only one winbond chip with a blue dot). Everything OK, now under "System Report" I can see "Thunderbolt/USB4" and, inside of it, I can see some information about the thunderbolt. So, I've decided to go next and Go with the DROM guide. followed the steps and got the Thunderbolt working, fron 20 Gb/s, to 40 Gb/s, and it has hot plug. (I can see under system report when I plug or unplug a device, even if it was unplugged when my system turned on.) The ugly thing is this:
I have 2 Thunderbolt storage drive: one uses an NVMe and the other is a NAS like (uses 2 HDDs). If I connect anyone of them, they appears in the system report, but they do not mount the storage. I tried to let the devices plugged in when I boot, when reboot, clear the NVRAM, do the same with the devices disconnected, the same with only one device, letting the system without power for some time and nothing happens.

Anybody can tall me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

MB Gigabyte B150M-D3H-CF
CPU Intel Corei7-7700
GPU Gigabyte Radeon RX 570
OS Big sur 11.2.3

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 3.55.12 p.m..png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 3.55.12 p.m..png
    468.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 4.02.17 p.m..png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 4.02.17 p.m..png
    212.4 KB · Views: 44
  • OC.zip
    24.7 MB · Views: 53
  • mac’s iMac.ioreg
    5.5 MB · Views: 57
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 4.20.01 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 4.20.01 PM.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ

Thank you for your quick reply.

Attach you find the 2 files.

Unfortunatly I dont have Linux.

I have the tools to read the the current firmware i've thats really neccesary.
If so i have to disassemble the motherboard.to read the winbond

Thank

Attached is a slightly modified Thunderbolt SSDT that at least removes DSB4 (because you have only one Thunderbolt port) and also removes some extraneous NHI0 properties.

Everything else seems to be configured properly. You have an NVMe SSD attached to the Thunderbolt port.
  • Was this device attached prior to booting?
  • Are you able to hot-plug this device?
  • Do you have any other Thunderbolt devices?

Follow-up suggestions:
  • If you can install Linux on a USB flash disk and boot from that, we can use Linux to obtain the Thunderbolt DROM. (I can show you the procedure.)
    • However, using the correct Thunderbolt DROM may or may not make a difference.
  • Reading the Thunderbolt firmware with an SPI ROM reader should be the last resort. But if all else fails I can modify your on-board Thunderbolt firmware. (But please keep the risks in mind.)

Attachments

• TTRidge.aml
    3.9 KB · Views: 50
Hello, I need some help. I got a Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge, I programmed on it one of the 3 available CF in this guide (by the way, it has only one winbond chip with a blue dot). Everything OK, now under "System Report" I can see "Thunderbolt/USB4" and, inside of it, I can see some information about the thunderbolt. So, I've decided to go next and Go with the DROM guide. followed the steps and got the thunderbolt working, fron 20 Gb/s, to 40 Gb/s and it has hot plug (I can see under system report when I plug or unplug a device, even if it was unplugged when my system turned on). The ugly thing is this:
I have 2 Thunderbolt storages, one uses an NVME and the other is a NAS like (uses 2 HDDs), if I connect anyone of them, they appears in system report, but they does not mount the storage. I tried to let the devices plugged in when I boot, when reboot, clear the NVRAM, do the same with the devices disconected, the same with only one device, letting the system without power for some time and nothing happens.

Anybody can tall me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

MB Gigabyte B150M-D3H-CF
CPU Intel Corei7-7700
GPU Gigabyte Radeon RX 570
OS Big sur 11.2.3
Hello @chidgear,

What are the makes/models of your Thunderbolt storage devices?

Have you tried the following?
  • Connect only one of the storage devices.
  • Boot the machine and log in.
  • Then do Apple Menu --> Restart to reboot the machine.
  • Log back in.
  • Does the storage device connect?

Hello @chidgear,

What are the makes/models of your Thunderbolt storage devices?

Have you tried the following?
  • Connect only one of the storage devices.
  • Boot the machine and log in.
  • Then do Apple Menu --> Restart to reboot the machine.
  • Log back in.
  • Does the storage device connect?
I've tried all you listed, sadly most of the time nothing happens.

The devices are:
1- Wavlink Thunderdrive II - UTE02 Thunderbolt 3 NVME External SSD ( https://www.wavlink.com/en_us/product/WL-UTE02.html )
2- Terramaster TD2 Thunderbolt 3 plus ( https://www.terra-master.com/us/products/video-professional-das/td2-thunderbolt-3-plus.html )

Funny thing, if I let only the Wavlink connected, the chances of mounting the drives increases a little.

Thank you

Attached is a slightly modified Thunderbolt SSDT that at least removes DSB4 (because you have only one Thunderbolt port) and also removes some extraneous NHI0 properties.

Everything else seems to be configured properly. You have an NVMe SSD attached to the Thunderbolt port.
  • Was this device attached prior to booting?
  • Are you able to hot-plug this device?
  • Do you have any other Thunderbolt devices?

Follow-up suggestions:
  • If you can install Linux on a USB flash disk and boot from that, we can use Linux to obtain the Thunderbolt DROM. (I can show you the procedure.)
    • However, using the correct Thunderbolt DROM may or may not make a difference.
  • Reading the Thunderbolt firmware with an SPI ROM reader should be the last resort. But if all else fails I can modify your on-board Thunderbolt firmware. (But please keep the risks in mind.)
Thanks Casey,

I'm gonna try the new TTridge.aml

• Was this device attached prior to booting? Yes its a Sabrent NVME Enclosure,it works after boot
  • Are you able to hot-plug this device? No not yet
  • Do you have any other Thunderbolt devices? Yes UAD Apollo Twin (Wich connects perfect but no Hot-Plug)
I will give Linus a try.

Thank you

I've tried all you listed, sadly most of the time nothing happens.

The devices are:
1- Wavlink Thunderdrive II - UTE02 Thunderbolt 3 NVME External SSD ( https://www.wavlink.com/en_us/product/WL-UTE02.html )
2- Terramaster TD2 Thunderbolt 3 plus ( https://www.terra-master.com/us/products/video-professional-das/td2-thunderbolt-3-plus.html )

Funny thing, if I let only the Wavlink connected, the chances of mounting the drives increases a little.

Thank you
Two questions:
  1. Which version of the firmware have you flashed? It might be good to try NVM33 from Designare Z390 on the GC-Titan Ridge.
  2. Have you checked whether these two devices connect when the original Thunderbolt firmware is installed? (I assume they didn't work, which is why you flashed the controller, but I'd like to ask anyway.)

Back