Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks so much Casey. I enjoyed experimenting with flashing the chip too. I have to admit i can't seem to get it working without the thunderbolt bus SSDT at all now though
Does it work without any SSDT?
  • Please try cold boot because that performs a full reset on the Thunderbolt controller.
  • In BIOS, check whether GPIO3 Force Power is still enabled.
  • In BIOS, check whether Thunderbolt Security is set to No Security.

Hello @hh99,

The GC-Titan Ridge might not be powering on. If the motherboard does not have a Thunderbolt header (labeled THB_C), then we need to connect the top and middle pins of the 5-pin J1 header, as follows:
  • When holding the card vertically with the PCI pins facing the floor, connect the top and middle pins.
We can use a F/F breadboard jumper wire such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077N58HFK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Thank you for your answer!

Another question is how to adapt the SSDT for the actual PCIe path for my system? For example, see the screenshot below. There is nothing similar with PCI0.RP05(I found BR1A under PCI0). In this case, what PCIe path should be correct?
Thanks again.
The attached SSDTs may be used, but they are configured for PCI0.RP05. Adapt the SSDT for the actual PCIe path for your system. If you have questions about this, just ask.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 9.41.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 9.41.59 AM.png
    857.9 KB · Views: 40
Thank you for your answer!

Another question is how to adapt the SSDT for the actual PCIe path for my system? For example, see the screenshot below. There is nothing similar with PCI0.RP05(I found BR1A under PCI0). In this case, what PCIe path should be correct?
Thanks again.
If you can post your System DSDT, I'll make the change.
  • MaciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> System DSDT

File attached. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• System DSDT.dsl
    5.7 MB · Views: 41
Does it work without any SSDT?
  • Please try cold boot because that performs a full reset on the Thunderbolt controller.
  • In BIOS, check whether GPIO3 Force Power is still enabled.
  • In BIOS, check whether Thunderbolt Security is set to No Security.
It used to work without an SSDT, but now it isn't working with or without. The only way it seems to work right now is with the tbtonpch ssdt + acpi tweaks.
Have tried cold boot several times, and yeah both bios settings are as you say. Weird!

File attached. Thanks for your help!
Please also post a new IORegistryExplorer file as detailed below. There's no hint of the GC-Titan Ridge in the previous IOReg file, hence a new one is needed.
  • Please check that GC-Titan Ridge card is installed.
  • Disconnect the THB_C Thunderbolt header cable if it is connected.
  • Hold the card vertically with PCI pins facing the floor and connect the Top and Middle pins of the 5-pin J1 header with a F/F jumper wire. This will force the card to turn on.
  • Disable any existing Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • Boot the system and log into macOS.
  • Run IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As... and post the saved file.

It used to work without an SSDT, but now it isn't working with or without. The only way it seems to work right now is with the tbtonpch ssdt + acpi tweaks.
Have tried cold boot several times, and yeah both bios settings are as you say. Weird!
Couple of points:
  1. When the original firmware was flashed back, I assume you performed three Reads and compared their checksums to make sure the three checksums were identical?
  2. When you say "it isn't working", does that mean hot plug is not working or even pre-connected devices don't work?
  3. If pre-connected devices don't work, do you remember if they worked previously without any SSDT applied?

Couple of points:
  1. When the original firmware was flashed back, I assume you performed three Reads and compared their checksums to make sure the three checksums were identical?
  2. When you say "it isn't working", does that mean hot plug is not working or even pre-connected devices don't work?
  3. If pre-connected devices don't work, do you remember if they worked previously without any SSDT applied?
1. Yes - pretty confident that went okay, especially cause it works with the tbtOnPch SSDT.
2. Even pre-connected devices. It has always been pretty funny, hence why I was exploring the options here. Usually, if I disconnect AC from the comp, it takes sometimes MANY cold boots and reboots to get Thunderbolt working again (on pre-connected devices). Once it is working, it connects consistently on every reboot as long as AC power is not lost. It could be that I just need to keep cold booting and rebooting for a while longer, but it has never been quite this bad.
3. Yes, they worked without an SSDT and also with the SSDT-TB3 from another thread on this forum.

Here's a something interesting that I just can't figure out:

I'm using an iMP 1,1 config with this build.
If I turn on the iGPU in the BIOS but keep it "off" in the config file, I still get a boost (over not activating the iGPU) when running a Geekbench test. See attached config.

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.42.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.42.00 PM.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 32
I am running a iMac19,1 config with this build :)

I've got a question regarding changing the SSD-Configuration after installing (running Mojave).
Currently I got one 1TB nvm2 Samsung 970 Pro running, split into to partitions (one OS, one HomeFOLDER).
The SSD crashed recently (complete freeze, repaired in the recovery mode) and became unreliable.
So now I bought a XPG 256 GB (the one from the guide) and a 970 EVO 1TB and want to use the small one for OS and the BIG one for Home Folder.
I got a CARBON COPY CLONER-copy from my OS-Partition (before the crash, so I think I could continue working twith it) and from my HOME-Parition.
I thought to clone the OS-Partition to the new SSD via CCC and a external nvm2-Case and do the same with the Home-Partition and then install both of them onto the gigabyte-mobo.
Do you think this will work? Or will there be trouble of the OS recognizing the Cloned Home-Folder-Drive?

any help appreciatet!

Back