Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ
Hi Casey, I'm on Mojave 10.14.5 currently and everything is nice and stable. However I need to upgrade to 10.14.6 to run Davinci Resolve 17. I'm kind of nervous upgrading, is there a step by step guide from 14.5 to 14.6? I have done the backup.

Hello,@CaseySJ
Thanks for your reply, IOREG does have Thunderbolt Bus after I flash the firmware, but it is not available, does not show the firmware version and has no speed, PCI device changed from JHL6540 to DSL6540.
Xnip2021-03-15_16-56-27.png
Xnip2021-03-15_17-37-33.png

Attachments

• Xnip2021-03-15_16-56-59.png
    Xnip2021-03-15_16-56-59.png
    213.1 KB · Views: 40
Hello @3908700,

Private Messaging is open to anyone after 75 posts. Requests for help should be posted in a public forum. Private messages are perfectly okay as long as they don’t violate the Rules. Exchange of personal information, for example, is a violation of the rules (e.g. email address, phone number, etc.).

@CaseySJ
Hi Casey, I'm on Mojave 10.14.5 currently and everything is nice and stable. However I need to upgrade to 10.14.6 to run Davinci Resolve 17. I'm kind of nervous upgrading, is there a step by step guide from 14.5 to 14.6? I have done the backup.
Hello @PicLock,

Fortunately we can do a simple in-place upgrade from 10.14.5 to 10.14.6. Because you’ve made a full backup, you can proceed (System Preferences —> Software Update).

Hello @3908700,

Private Messaging is open to anyone after 75 posts. Requests for help should be posted in a public forum. Private messages are perfectly okay as long as they don’t violate the Rules. Exchange of personal information, for example, is a violation of the rules (e.g. email address, phone number, etc.).
Ok :)

There are 4 files in the attached ZIP:
  1. GA-X170Z-UD5-TH-CASEYSJ-MOD1.bin
  2. GA-X170Z-UD5-TH-CASEYSJ-MOD2.bin
  3. SSDT-TB3HP-GA-X170Z-UD5-TH.aml
  4. SSDT-DTPG.aml
The first two are Thunderbolt firmware files:
  • Please flash MOD1 first and run a battery of tests.
  • Then try MOD2 to see if it's any better.
Use files 3 and 4 with all tests:
  • File 3 is a Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT with custom DROM for your motherboard.
    • IMPORTANT: Need to modify this file to use the correct PCI paths. If in doubt, please post the Thunderbolt SSDT you're using now and I'll make the changes for you.
  • File 4 is a helper SSDT needed by File 3.
Hey Casey,

I'm really, really sorry but I think there was maybe corruption on reading the original .bin file I sent you from flash. I've just come to the computer to flash the new file today, but was looking through the documentation you posted about doing this and noticed the part about reading the firmware 3 times and then checking the checksum. So prior to flashing the new firmware you sent over, I thought I would quickly read my original firmware a few more times and check the checksums. I've read it 4 times and each time the checksum is

f8ee16d0074a8f8537542b3461389b5bf6d660b3

But on the firmware file I sent you, the checksum was

27f088223df58ac9800047659da7204dfae02ea9

Unless there's something I'm missing, I think this suggests corruption in the original firmware file I sent you, meaning the two modified firmwares you created for me here are probably also corrupted?

I've attached the correct .bin, confirmed by 4 checksums. Do let me know if i've confused myself and actually I am fine to use the files you've sent, otherwise would you please make these one more time using this firmware file? So sorry to waste your time with my ignorance!

D

Attachments

• GA-x170z-UD5TH5.bin.zip
    272.6 KB · Views: 32
Hey Casey,

I'm really, really sorry but I think there was maybe corruption on reading the original .bin file I sent you from flash. I've just come to the computer to flash the new file today, but was looking through the documentation you posted about doing this and noticed the part about reading the firmware 3 times and then checking the checksum. So prior to flashing the new firmware you sent over, I thought I would quickly read my original firmware a few more times and check the checksums. I've read it 4 times and each time the checksum is

@passmore

Sorry to butt in, but last year there was discussion about the checksums and differences from time-to-time and hackintosh-to-hackintosh. Do a search of this thread for "checksum..." For example - post #28,697 at

There is a "scratch area" in the ROM that can change and change the checksum, but it does not impact the working portion of the ROM.

As long as you reproduce the checksum with three reads, you SHOULD be good to proceed. The important part of the earlier ROM you posted should be the same as your latest post.

@passmore

Sorry to butt in, but last year there was discussion about the checksums and differences from time-to-time and hackintosh-to-hackintosh. Do a search of this thread for "checksum..." For example - post #28,697 at

There is a "scratch area" in the ROM that can change and change the checksum, but it does not impact the working portion of the ROM.

As long as you reproduce the checksum with three reads, you SHOULD be good to proceed. The important part of the earlier ROM you posted should be the same as your latest post.
Not at all, thank you for your contribution!

In my case, with my original file - I only read it once. So to your last point 'As long as you reproduce the checksum with three reads, you SHOULD be good to proceed.' My understanding is that I did not meet that criteria with my original file. Furthermore - there is absolutely no common theme between the two checksums as far as I can tell... am I missing something?

EDIT: I followed the link you shared there and used HexFiend to compare the two. Here's the results. Unfortunately I do not know whether these changes are indeed in the 'scratch area' or not.

1615820566163.png

Hey Casey,

Unless there's something I'm missing, I think this suggests corruption in the original firmware file I sent you, meaning the two modified firmwares you created for me here are probably also corrupted?

I've attached the correct .bin, confirmed by 4 checksums. Do let me know if i've confused myself and actually I am fine to use the files you've sent, otherwise would you please make these one more time using this firmware file? So sorry to waste your time with my ignorance!

D
No problem. Although the previous files should still be okay (worst case we can flash the original one back at any time), I've modified the latest firmware. Attached Zip contains two versions MOD1 and MOD2.

Attachments

• GA-X170Z-UD5-TB3-V2.zip
    546.5 KB · Views: 44
Hello,@CaseySJ
Thanks for your reply, IOREG does have Thunderbolt Bus after I flash the firmware, but it is not available, does not show the firmware version and has no speed, PCI device changed from JHL6540 to DSL6540.
View attachment 512299View attachment 512301
Please try the attached MOD2 in combination with the same two SSDTs from previous reply. Also ensure that all any Thunderbolt SSDT is disabled.

Attachments

• MSI-TB3-ALPINE-CASEYSJ-MOD2.bin.zip
    292.5 KB · Views: 36
Back