Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I have a USB3 HDD I would like to leave connected to my setup for regular data backups, every time the system resumes from wake I get the "Disk Not Ejected Properly" warning. Ive looked through the sleep wake sections and nothing stands out. This is an open core 6.5 / bigsur 11.2.2 setup, anyone have thoughts? This disk is on the front USB3 ports of a fractal r6 case and Im using standard USB port enumerations not anything custom or unique.

I have a USB3 HDD I would like to leave connected to my setup for regular data backups, every time the system resumes from wake I get the "Disk Not Ejected Properly" warning. Ive looked through the sleep wake sections and nothing stands out. This is an open core 6.5 / bigsur 11.2.2 setup, anyone have thoughts? This disk is on the front USB3 ports of a fractal r6 case and Im using standard USB port enumerations not anything custom or unique.
I've never had success leaving USB devices plugged into the front USB ports (attached to the MB Front USB headers). I would suggest moving your drive to a rear USB port and go through the sleep/wake process. If it stays connected, then you have your answer.

I've never had success leaving USB devices plugged into the front USB ports (attached to the MB Front USB headers). I would suggest moving your drive to a rear USB port and go through the sleep/wake process. If it stays connected, then you have your answer.

I can confirm!
During HackinDROM.app dev i noticed that USB Sticks connected to front USB ports can randomly disconnect and reconnect
Never had these random disconnections with rear ports

Two suggestions for dealing with this fairly common issue:
  • In BIOS, disable XMP Profile 1 and set Memory Multiplier to 29.33. This will provide 2933MHz memory clock speed and often fixes a number of sleep/wake issues.
  • Another option (if you do not want to disable XMP Profile 1) is to use a utility such as Jettison from St. Clair Software. Other similar tools are available.

Two suggestions for dealing with this fairly common issue:
  • In BIOS, disable XMP Profile 1 and set Memory Multiplier to 29.33. This will provide 2933MHz memory clock speed and often fixes a number of sleep/wake issues.
  • Another option (if you do not want to disable XMP Profile 1) is to use a utility such as Jettison from St. Clair Software. Other similar tools are available.
I can confirm that disabling XMP resolved my sleep/wake issues. I'm running HyperX Fury that nativley runs at 2666MHz, which is typical Mac memory speed.

Hi, after a long hiatus I've built my second hack, first was back in El Cap days. Built basically from info sifted from this thread, so thanks Casey and everybody else. Z490 Aorus Pro AX, i9-10850K, 64GB memory, XFX 580 4GB (flashed with Sapphire VBIOS, otherwise it panics on boot), GC-Titan-Ridge v2.0 (flashed with modified v50 fw from CaseyJ's miniguide and with pins 3 + 5 shorted), Syba 10GBe, YOBO Wifi/BT card. OpenCore 0.6.6, Catalina 10.15.7

Everything works, except for one thing: Titan Ridge crashes computer on sleep. I remove the card, everything works fine.
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800808f08c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while entering darkwake on way to sleep. Suspected bundle: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI. Thread 0x226a.
Failure code:: 0xf4859e70 00000031
Full report attached. TR card has nothing connected, the SSDT was "manufactured" with the online tool.

XMP profile disabled (the system is not overclocked at all, all stock). I tried to remove 3-5 short on the TB connector and use the stock cable to the motherboard and it didn't help. It never happened before I flashed the modified fw to the TR card though.

Any ideas? I need TB3 for external storage :(

Attachments

• panic.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 6.56.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 6.56.03 PM.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I use this little fix since 2016 or 2017 on all my hacks and even on my real MacBookPro, worth a try:

It uses a little helper from another dev called sleepwatcher and unmounts external disks when sleep happens. It automatically remounts them at wake.

I tried another utility (payware) on the AppStore (Jettison) before but it never worked successfully in my case.

Hi, after a long hiatus I've built my second hack, first was back in El Cap days. Built basically from info sifted from this thread, so thanks Casey and everybody else. Z490 Aorus Pro AX, i9-10850K, 64GB memory, XFX 580 4GB (flashed with Sapphire VBIOS, otherwise it panics on boot), GC-Titan-Ridge v2.0 (flashed with modified v50 fw from CaseyJ's miniguide and with pins 3 + 5 shorted), Syba 10GBe, YOBO Wifi/BT card. OpenCore 0.6.6, Catalina 10.15.7

Everything works, except for one thing: Titan Ridge crashes computer on sleep. I remove the card, everything works fine.

Full report attached. TR card has nothing connected, the SSDT was "manufactured" with the online tool.

XMP profile disabled (the system is not overclocked at all, all stock). I tried to remove 3-5 short on the TB connector and use the stock cable to the motherboard and it didn't help. It never happened before I flashed the modified fw to the TR card though.

Any ideas? I need TB3 for external storage :(

Got it somewhat fixed, at least there's no panic anymore. There was something wrong with how I added SSDT generated by HackingDROM+MaciASL to the config.plist. I've readded it with OpenCoreConfigurator and now it doesn't panic on sleep, plus the TR card now shows as 40GBit x1, as opposed to 20GBit x2 . But it's got insomnia instead - the computer goes to sleep, and immediately wakes back again. But that doesn't look like it's related to TB.

Back