Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It doesn't have to be natively supported. I just need internet.
See this post for some ideas that may help your speeds with the Fenvi Card.
Any card without native support that depends on a third party driver is going to perform much worse. You definitely need a card with native support. Broadcom 94360CD is the best option right now. Some people get better results with the YOUBO version of this Broadcom card. They sell it on Amazon.com and probably other places as well. You can search this Z390 GB thread (and Z490) to learn more about that.

Last edited:
With Z590 already shipping and Rocket Lake coming in just over a month, I don’t think users — who already have a recent build — should be thinking of Z490. In fact they should not even be thinking of Z590! The real advancement from Intel is coming later this year with Alder Lake and Z690. Whether that processor or platform will work with macOS is unknown at this time.

The other thing to consider is a new Apple Silicon Mac. I’m still eagerly waiting for more information about the rumored small form factor Mac Pro.

Someone who does not already have a recent build, however, would be advised to consider the Z490 and even Z590. Everyone else should (and this is just my opinion) wait to see how 2021 unfolds. It promises to be an exceptional year.
I take it that by "recent build" you include anything Coffee Lake and newer?

"Alder Lake" (10 nm?) and "Z690" are just vaporware at this point. I won't believe anything Intel says or leaks until we see actual hardware and independent reviews. And it is quite possible that it won't be compatible (or will have severe difficulties) with macOS due to an apparently entirely new design. Apple is probably not going to update macOS Intel any further to support new Intel hardware.

I also see no point of Rocket Lake and Z590 anyway if they won't even last to the end of this year, assuming "Alder Lake" will be released this year. Not to say only 8 cores for the flagship Rocket Lake chip compared to 12/16 for Ryzen, and its iGPU (at least) probably won't be supported on macOS. Lacklustre Intel.

The graphics card shortage and price hike have no end in sight, and I also heard from the local store that RAM prices are set to rise substantially (at least up to 30%) pretty soon. I think this "exceptional" year is going to be severely hampered by lack of stock and rising prices. Already, my local stores in the business of building new computers do not allow most new separate graphics card sales and will only permit a sale if they are part of a completely new build.

Last edited:
See this post for some ideas that may help your speeds with the Fenvi Card.
Any card without native support that depends on a third party driver is going to perform much worse. You definitely need a card with native support. Broadcom 94360CD is the best option right now. Some people get better results with the YOUBO version of this Broadcom card. They sell it on Amazon.com and probably other places as well. You can search this Z390 GB thread (and Z490) to learn more about that.
I think I figured out the issue. There is a feature called smart connect on the ax6000. It creates one network SSId but will switch clients to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz depending on which it thinks is "better" So a device will switch frequently between the different frequencies causing it to look like its down.

What does this argument?
FYI: I was curious so looked it up in the source code. It makes Whatevergreen look up the GPU model number. Guessing it was needed early on when Navi support was just added. Clearly not needed now, so I removed it as well.

I think I figured out the issue. There is a feature called smart connect on the ax6000. It creates one network SSId but will switch clients to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz depending on which it thinks is "better" So a device will switch frequently between the different frequencies causing it to look like its down.
Does disabling Smart Connect restore the WiFi speeds you are expecting?

Back