Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You won't like my answer, but I have a mild weakness for what the Italians call 'acqua minerale con gas'. My alcohol consumption has always been extremely low, but has dwindled to virtually nothing.
Too funny. In that realm, after spending many years working in Germany, my preference is Gerolsteiner Sprudel Mineralwasser. It's not easy to find in the states, but well worth searching for.

I snatched an AMD RX 5600 XT a couple of weeks ago on a Wednesday morning at Newegg. Supplies of all GPUs are exhausted, but retailers are probably the best place to find a GPU. MicroCenter, CentralComputers (SF Bay Area), and similar places might be your best bet. But keep looking at Newegg, Amazon, and other online retailers as well.

Mine is the ASRock Challenger Pro RX 5600 XT. It's a triple fan card that works beautifully and silently. It's installed in my AMD Ryzentosh with B550 Vision D motherboard and running macOS 11.3 public beta. The RX 5000 cards are compatible with Catalina as well (since about 10.15.2).

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ , good news is at least they are still there !

Too funny. In that realm, after spending many years working in Germany, my preference is Gerolsteiner Sprudel Mineralwasser. It's not easy to find in the states, but well worth searching for.
I like San Benedetto Oligo Minerale Leggermente frizzante when I am in Italy. Eleonore Cristaline when in Normandy. Bar-Le-Duc Bruisend when at home.

All: If you are interested in running a Stats/Sensor Monitor in your case (or on your desk), definitely take a look at this display on AliExpress. Its a 9.8" wide 1920x480 IPD LCD with HDMI input and 5v USB power. I just purchased the one in the black metal case at $105 USD. Yeah, it's a little expensive just for stats, but it looks really cool and will show up as a second display. I plan to mount it in the front of my new Lian-Li 011 Dynamic case. Pictures to follow once it arrives from China. o_O
Stats Display.jpg

Last edited:
Please see the bottom half of this page, namely DRM Compatibility on macOS 11:

Hi @CaseySJ
Thank you, I had a look at that but don't understand how I am supposed to test / set those preferences or even where to set them. If it states:
  • WhateverGreen Shiki functionality is not planned for inclusion for macOS 11
Does this mean I should remove my Shikigva=80 from the NVRAM setting in OCC if it is no longer utilized anymore?

Hi @CaseySJ
Thank you, I had a look at that but don't understand how I am supposed to test / set those preferences or even where to set them. If it states:
  • WhateverGreen Shiki functionality is not planned for inclusion for macOS 11
Does this mean I should remove my Shikigva=80 from the NVRAM setting in OCC if it is no longer utilized anymore?
Please have a look at this post, which I’ll add to Quick Reference spoiler soon.

All: If you are interested in running a Stats/Sensor Monitor in your case (or on your desk), definitely take a look at this display on AliExpress. Its a 9.8" wide 1920x480 IPD LCD with HDMI input and 5v USB power. I just purchased the one in the black metal case at $105 USD. Yeah, it's a little expensive just for stats, but it looks really cool and will show up as a second display. I plan to mount it in the front of my new Lian-Li 011 Dynamic case. Pictures to follow once it arrives from China. o_O
View attachment 509258
Looking forward to your follow-up. Will you use iStatistica Pro on this monitor? I assume it will be able to render a good view on the 1920x480 panel.

Interesting! This prompted me to test the Apple Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet Adapter on my 2020 MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.2, and it actually works. But it fails under Big Sur on every Hackintosh in my collection.

Screenshots from MacBook Pro with Big Sur 11.2: Works on real Mac.

View attachment 508930View attachment 508931

Screenshots from Z390 Designare with Flashed Thunderbolt Bus and SIP Enabled (same result with SIP disabled): Fails on Hackintosh with and without flashed firmware.

View attachment 508932View attachment 508933
Speculation about a fix:
  • It might be possible to patch the offending driver (might does not mean it will).
  • I have not searched (yet) for existing solutions.
Some additional information:

On Hackintosh:
Apple Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter (BCM5701) fails to activate under Big Sur, but works under Catalina. This happens:
  • With SIP enabled or disabled
  • With SecureBootModel set to either Disabled or Default
The Big Sur log shows:
Code:
kernelmanagerd: Received kext load notification: com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) AppleBCM5701Ethernet [10000629a, ethernet]:    60000     1000 MyAllocIOBuffer - failed to get physical address
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) 0x00060000, 0x00001000 MyAllocIOBuffer - failed to get physical address
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) AppleBCM5701Ethernet [10000629a, ethernet]:        0        0 allocateMemory - fRxStdDmaVirt,fRxStdDmaPhy failed
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) 0x00000000, 0x00000000 allocateMemory - fRxStdDmaVirt,fRxStdDmaPhy failed
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) AppleBCM5701Ethernet [10000629a, ethernet]:        0        0 start - allocateMemory failed
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) 0x00000000, 0x00000000 start - allocateMemory failed

On Real Mac:
The Gigabit Ethernet adapter works properly under Big Sur. The log shows:
Code:
kernelmanagerd: Received kext load notification: com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet

Last edited:
Some additional information:

On Hackintosh:
Apple Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter (BCM5701) fails to activate under Big Sur, but works under Catalina. This happens:
  • With SIP enabled or disabled
  • With SecureBootModel set to either Disabled or Default
The Big Sur log shows:
Code:
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) AppleBCM5701Ethernet [10000629a, ethernet]:    60000     1000 MyAllocIOBuffer - failed to get physical address
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) 0x00060000, 0x00001000 MyAllocIOBuffer - failed to get physical address
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) AppleBCM5701Ethernet [10000629a, ethernet]:        0        0 allocateMemory - fRxStdDmaVirt,fRxStdDmaPhy failed
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) 0x00000000, 0x00000000 allocateMemory - fRxStdDmaVirt,fRxStdDmaPhy failed
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) AppleBCM5701Ethernet [10000629a, ethernet]:        0        0 start - allocateMemory failed
kernel: (AppleBCM5701Ethernet) 0x00000000, 0x00000000 start - allocateMemory failed

On Real Mac:
The Gigabit Ethernet adapter works properly under Big Sur. The log shows:
Code:
Hello Casey
Could you unload/remove Gigabytes Ethernets and try again?

Back