Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

For what it's worth, I'm running VMware Fusion, Parallels, and Virtual Box on my Hackintosh without issue. One change I made to @CaseySJ BIOS settings for the Z390 Designare was to turn VTd back on as it improved VM performance.
@jjsenecal

I'm going to try VirtualBox so I can run an instance of High Sierra in order to run the last standalone version of Photoshop.

Do you have any pointers for getting VirtualBox up and running?

Thanks.

Hey there,

I try to use a Gigabyte GC Titan Ridge 2 in my HP Z620.
So thunderbolt working, but USB3.1 not.
In Profiler USB3.1 shown as USB3.0 and IOReg only shows XHC3 not SSP1 or SSP2

I use a SSDT from HackinDROM, changed for my Z620 (_SB.PCI0.SLT4)
The FW I use, TitanRidgeNVM43-Elias64Fr-Mod.bin on the blue IC.
The devices Thunderbolt and USB3.1 are shown correctly in Profiler > PCI
By the way: On my MacPro5.1 USB3.1 is working.

This is what I get at Boot.

View attachment 508384

Has someone an idea?

greetings
Hi @CaseySJ, I hope you can help me. I have Big Sur running on Asus WS C422 Pro/SE + Xeon W-2150B, I have just flashed the Titan Ridge V2. The card shows up correctly in the Ioreg and About This Mac, but the USB3.1 is
showing up as USB3.0 and is also non-functional... I have attached my Ioreg and SSDT.
@Beaty2000:
Please post the Thunderbolt SSDT you're using.

@Beaty2000 / @Amjsez:
It may also be a good idea to try these as well:
  • GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin
  • DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin (yes this is for Designare Z390, but it can be flashed to GC-Titan Ridge)

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Here are the files..
Thanks!
These files are correct. I would like to see the IOReg file when this exact same Thunderbolt SSDT is used with the flashed controller. I am puzzled why the Thunderbolt device tree did not appear correctly in the previous IOReg file.

Just wanted to report that my Z390 Designare with F9i and OC 0.6.5 migrated without any issues from Big Sur 11.1 to Big Sur 11.2 (20D64). Everything worked very smooth, just used the installer in "System Preferences", as if I was updating a regular Mac.

Now for a reason I just can't figure out, trying to migrate from OC 0.6.5 to OC 0.6.6 does not work at all. It is not even a matter of failing to load Darwin, after power on/reset and the usual Gigabyte BIOS messages, the screen just goes blank, no OC messages whatsoever, no chooser, nothing. All I did was use CaseySJ's OC-066-DESIGNARE.zip, added the SSDT-GPRW.aml in EFI/OC/ACPI, copied the config-AMD-GPU.plist to config.plist, added the SSDT-GPRW.aml detection and patches, and 'filled out' the info on Serial number, etc. I tried a couple of times to boot that way, and always failed. I ended up booting OC 0.6.5 from USB, and putting it back in the EFI partition of the boot disk. One thing that is kind of brain dead :( in the F9i is instead of telling you if you're booting form the USB or from NVMe, etc., in the boot selector, it always shows "OpenCore" there so you have to kind of guess which OpenCore you want to boot.

The other strange thing is that I renamed in the EFI partition the old EFI folder to OC065 and copied over OC066 to EFI, both sitting in the EFI partition of the NVMe. Then both of them show up as OpenCore, it is sort of nice that theoretically you could boot an older EFI, but if everything is labeled OpenCore is hard to choose. When I added the USB in the mix, I had three OpenCore options that I could boot, had to do a Eeny, meeny, miny, moe and rely on luck.:)

Anyway, if anyone has any idea how to fix that issue besides trying to reset CMOS, F7 and setting again the BIOS parameters that CaseySJ suggested - did not work - I'm willing to try one more time. Else I will just stick with OC 065 for a while, hopefully will work for 11.3, etc. Thanks you all - specially CaseySJ - for all the great suggestions!
Hello @telicha,

A couple days ago I posted a revised version of the OpenCore 0.6.6 EFI folder that goes back to using the trusted HfsPlus.efi driver from Apple. If you have any HFS+ drives in the system, please ensure that your config.plist is using HfsPlus.efi.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.02.55 AM.png

I have a Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to a 5,1 running High Sierra, and I also can't get my Antelope to work. I've been following this thread and using the guides here, but no luck. I was using the Ttitan Ridge DROM guide to create an SSDT, but I got stuck on the root port part because my card shows up in IORegistryExplorer in the IOU tree instead of an RP. So I haven't been able to figure out how to fix that. If anyone could help me out that'd be great.
Please post the following files from your Mac Pro:
  • System DSDT
  • IOReg (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...)

There's a huge problem there!

Your EFI partition is not actually an EFI partition. It's a MacOS Extended (Journaled) partition (HFS+). The second image below is from my system. Notice the Format is MS-DOS (FAT32).
View attachment 508050View attachment 508051

How to Fix:
  • Run Disk Utility followed by View --> Show All Devices or press CMD-2. This is critical:
    View attachment 508053
  • Then select the Parent name of your USB Flash Disk. Here's what mine looks like:
    View attachment 508054
  • Then click Erase and you will see THREE choices. Be sure to select:
    • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled)
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
    View attachment 508055
  • Then click Erase.
  • Now you can Mount EFI partition with EFI Agent or OpenCore Configurator.
  • Then copy the OpenCore EFI folder into that partition.
  • Now you're ready to boot the Hackintosh.
HI @CaseySJ, ok, I made just one big DUMB mistake on my end. Was not mounting the disk properly..should have realized that. Was following your directions, except I was not mounting the USB drive. Duh! Sorry for wasting your time with this. I ran the EFI folder you provided and have attached the log files.

Attachments

• OC065 Log File.zip
    39.5 KB · Views: 46
@CaseySJ

Here is my complete EFI Folder with two IORegDumps. One with TB SSDT and one without.

Thank you.

Addendum: GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin I have already try, without success.
And I have try it with another SSDT, attached.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 60
  • SSDT-THBOLT.aml
    21 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
HI @CaseySJ, ok, I made just one big DUMB mistake on my end. Was not mounting the disk properly..should have realized that. Was following your directions, except I was not mounting the USB drive. Duh! Sorry for wasting your time with this. I ran the EFI folder you provided and have attached the log files.
This shows that OpenCore is working. Are you seeing the OpenCore Picker GUI? Is everything working correctly now?

@CaseySJ

Here is my complete EFI Folder with two IORegDumps. One with TB SSDT and one without.

Thank you.

Addendum: GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin I have already try, without success.
From experience we know that some BIOS versions on some motherboard prevent macOS from seeing the USB ports on Thunderbolt controllers. For example, on Designare Z390 the new BIOS F9j has this problem, which is exactly what you are seeing. When we go back to BIOS F9i the problem disappears and USB ports attached to the Thunderbolt XHC controller are recognized by macOS.

Some suggestions and questions:
  • It is generally not advisable to replace the entire DSDT. You are using a custom DSDT for your motherboard. Have you tried using the motherboard's own DSDT by simply disabling yours?
    • This will require you to use SSDT-DTPG.aml because Thunderbolt SSDT needs Method DTGP which is implemented in SSDT-DTPG.aml.
    • Your custom DSDT.aml also implements Method DTGP, so if we disable your DSDT, we need to enable SSDT-DTPG.aml.
  • Do you have access to different BIOS versions for your HP motherboard?

This shows that OpenCore is working. Are you seeing the OpenCore Picker GUI? Is everything working correctly n

This shows that OpenCore is working. Are you seeing the OpenCore Picker GUI? Is everything working correctly now?
Yes, OpenCore GUI is working, I select the internal MacOS install and it sits at the Apple Logo progress bar and does not move. Should I move back to my other EFI i created per your(forum 0.6.5) instructions or does it matter?

Back