Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Welp, I spoke too soon. I made the mistake of enabling FileVault, which has created all sorts of issues. I enabled FileVault which ran "overnight" and told me it finished in the morning, however, it seems to not ever actually finish as every time I restart the machine it restarts. I cannot update the system because it is "in the middle of being encrypted". Any thoughts on ways to get it to finish the encryption so that I can install the update? The farthest I get with the update is after the encryption "finishes" but then on the reboot it stops with the apple logo and smallest progress bar. Even booting in verbose mode doesn't seem to let me see the reason why it hangs, but I fear that it may be related to the encryption.

Also side issue, but I can't seem to get a USB 3.2 Gen 2 card reader to work with the thunderbolt port.

I should add, this is on

Aurous Xtreme - F9i
Samsung 970 Evo (nonplus)
OC 0.6.6 (never had a previous OC working and I chose this release to switch from clover)

I will also add the possibly related fact that I cannot perform a time machine backup, likely due to corrupted local snapshots, which I cannot delete.
I have not used FileVault, but the Dortania guide has information about setting it up, and it may have Troubleshooting guidelines as well. If the problem persists, let us know and we'll see if someone can help.

With on-board HDMI enabled and Vega GPU fully installed as well, does the system crash?
No, it doesn't crash. Both cards fully working, Vega 64 has a 4K display port connected, the intel has the HDMI screen. It doesn't crash. Now I took the HDMI screen ouut and connected the same screen on the Vega. So I only drive displayport two screens. No screen connected over HDMI.

I'm still booted on the USB opencore. But the USB ports don't work. I don't know yet why. I can see in the downloaded config.plist many DSDT patches which I took out because I don't have those aml's. Maybe I should just download the aml's but don't know if that's the right way.

Now I'm attaching:
  • the IOReg resulting from the NOT FLASHED Thunderbolt
  • the Asus Prime X299 A-II Bios
Since he made the test with an SSDT for flashed Thunderbolt,
we may only need one working fine on Asus Prime X299 A-II (or similar)
for a NOT FLASHED one.
Could you gently provide us it?

Of course we do stay available for whatever additional clue or in case
you notice any mistake in the process.

Thx
The Thunderbolt SSDT that was used in conjunction with the unflashed card is actually correct. It should be used with the flashed card as well. If you would like me to double-check that SSDT, please post it.

No, it doesn't crash. Both cards fully working, Vega 64 has a 4K display port connected, the intel has the HDMI screen. It doesn't crash. Now I took the HDMI screen ouut and connected the same screen on the Vega. So I only drive displayport two screens. No screen connected over HDMI.
  • With no screen connected to HDMI, does the computer work reliably (no idle crash)?
    • If so, it means setting iGPU to PlatformID 0x3E9B0007 avoids the crash.
    • If you use video editing apps like Final Cut Pro or iMovie, do those apps crash when you launch them?
  • Are you using RadeonBoost.kext? This is an artificial performance enhancer for AMD GPUs that should be disabled for the time being.
I'm still booted on the USB opencore. But the USB ports don't work. I don't know yet why. I can see in the downloaded config.plist many DSDT patches which I took out because I don't have those aml's. Maybe I should just download the aml's but don't know if that's the right way.
Are you referring to these DSDT patches? There are only two of them, but they can be disabled or deleted. Anyway, this will not affect the idle crash problem.
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.18.04 PM.png

• With no screen connected to HDMI, does the computer work reliably (no idle crash)?
    • If so, it means setting iGPU to PlatformID 0x3E9B0007 avoids the crash.
    • If you use video editing apps like Final Cut Pro or iMovie, do those apps crash when you launch them?
  • Are you using RadeonBoost.kext? This is an artificial performance enhancer for AMD GPUs that should be disabled for the time being.
So I took again a copy from my original EFI, put that on the USB.
In that config.plist I added just the devide-id with all those framebuffer patches and copied the boot args.
The rest I left untouched.
I don't have RadeonBoost.kext

Result:
No more crashes. HDMI is NOT connected to the intel onboard GFX. I have two display port screens connected to the Vega64.
Now all USBs work (but not the thunderbolt ones, due to BIOS F9j)
FCPX and Adobe Premiere work normal after quick test.
Amazon/Netflix/apple tv+ work.
FairPlay 1.x DRM test video doesn't work (i don't care).

Are you referring to these DSDT patches? There are only two of them, but they can be disabled or deleted. Anyway, this will not affect the idle crash problem.
View attachment 508222
No, I mean those in the screen shot. This is what hackinDROM put in my uploaded config.plist. I replaced everything with my own. I just have 4

Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 01.18.40.png

USBInjectAll-071 is being used only for Mojave (kernel 18.x.x), whereas USBInjectAll-076 is being used for Catalina and above (kernel 19.x.x is Catalina). This is because the former was compiled with a version of Xcode that is compatible with Mojave. The latter was compiled with newer libraries that don't work under Mojave. The newer version also supports iMac20,1 and iMac20,2 (older one does not).

View attachment 508108
Thanks. I should have looked at that.

Well, for now, it seems the problem is sloved. I will come back reporting when I used the system a bit longer if there are problems.

But I just want to express how endlesly grateful I am for your unbelivable support. I wouldn't have done it without you.

Keep on the great work.

...and I'm sure, the time will come when we'll be able to build our own ARM systems, you'll find a way to hack macOS on those too. HackintoshV2 :)

Thanks for the feedback!
Actually I don't know which parameters to take from user's config.plist into Casey's because Caseys make the updates and he knows which one is the best option for example for Z390 AMD GPU.

In next version im planning to keep *custom .aml .kext into ACPI Kext and config.plist
custom = which isn't present in Caseys configuration

Please guys let me know
@CaseySJ
Hello @CaseySJ
Can you help me please?
Which files and which config from plist should I bring from users EFI into yours?

Hello @CaseySJ
Can you help me please?
Which files and which config from plist should I bring from users EFI into yours?
Hello @Inqnuam,

Because these are internal software development details, let me suggest using private message to work out the requirements and other details. Once we have a beta version we can post it here for feedback.

*** Mini-Guide ***
Catalina Users: Configure Carbon Copy Cloner for One-Key Bootable Backup

Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.

29 May 2020: URGENT MESSAGE FOR 10.15.5. A bug in this release prevents new CCC backups from booting. Please see this post and use the CCC Beta Build attached there.
@CaseySJ

After upgrading to OpenCore 0.6.5 and Big Sur 11.2 I've noticed CCC was complaining that the post backup shell script is returning with an error. Looking at the backup setup things look good from what I can see, interestingly the the EFICLone.log doesn't appear to update with new runs.

Back