0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk6

1: EFI ⁨EFI⁩ 209.7 MB disk6s1

2: Apple_HFS ⁨HD1⁩ 3.0 TB disk6s2

/dev/disk7 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk7

1: EFI ⁨EFI⁩ 314.6 MB disk7s1

2: Apple_HFS ⁨big backup⁩ 3.0 TB disk7s2

Dear all, I'm starting to get really desperate because I'm not able to solve this on my own. I have built my hackintoshes now for more than 10 years, very successfully, I almost always found a solution somewhere on the net. Now I really hope someone here can point me into the right direction.

Problem:
- Big Sur 11.1 always freezes when idle after 5-6 minutes, sometimes also after 20 minutes. Sometimes with reboot, other times just freeze. But as long as I work with it (heavy duty like Adobe Premiere, Avid Media Composer, Davinci Resolve or just surfing the internet for hours), it's rock solid and everythink works. By "idle" i mean: just leave the computer alone, don't touch mouse or anything.

My system:
- Designare motherboard Z390
- Vega 64, Saphire Nitro+
- 2x nVMEs Samsung 970 Evo Plus
- i9 9900K
- dual screen connected to DisplayPorts on the Vega64
- dual boot Windows 10 (each OS has its own nVME). Windows works perfectly.

More info:
I have no hackintosh kexts inside the OS, I'd say it's vanilla. Never issues with updates.

I upgraded from latest version Catalina to 11.1. With Catalina I was on OC 0.6.3 and everything worked perfectly including iMessage and all iCloud related stuff. The system never crashed. BIOS was F7. PlatformInfo was iMacPro1,1. Headless configuration, iGFX disabled in BIOS.

Before upgrading macOS, I updated OC to 0.6.5, did a config.plist from scratch, updated all kexts. This time I changed Platform Info to iMac19,1 like the guide strongly recomended. Enabled iGFX in BIOS.

For everything I used Dortania guide, which I used before with perfect results:

Installation went flewless. Big Sur was up and running in less than 25min. Everything seemed to work. Until I noticed those crashes each time I went to grab a coffee or something and came back to a frozen system or to a reboot directly into windows.

I tried to find my way around in the console, looking for some hints, but I don't really know what and where to look for.

What I tried:
All those things I tried did not resolve the issue but did not make the system more unstable either:

- updated to latest BIOS F9j. I can confirm Thunderbolt works, but USB 3 is gone from those ports. (I didn't know at that time this would break the USB 3 functionality)
- disabled cfg-lock in bios (OC confirms this by using VerifyMsrE2.efi)
- created new USB stick with OC 0.6.6, new config.plist from scratch, all new kext updates (which by that time only were 2-3 hours old). System boots from that USB, I can use the computer normally, no difference - but still freezes in idle.
- changed back and forth between iMac19,1 and iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS
- grabbed my own DSDT.aml and made my own SSDTs patches. Before the upgrade, I just used the standard pre-built SSDTs without any problems.
- I didn't replace OC on the nVME so I'm still on 0.6.5 for now
- enabled/disabled iGFX in Bios.
- in macOS settings:
Turn display off after: never.
Put hard disks to sleep: no
Prevent computer from sleeping...: yes
- screensaver active yes/no - no difference, freeze no matter what.
- uninstall and update third party drivers like Blackmagic design. I did not uninstall NTFS for Mac.
- reset NVRAM in the boot picker

What I didn't try:
- I did not make a complete fresh install of macOS. This system goes back to 10.14 and it was rock stable -almost golden build- for a long time. At that time I was on clover, but in summer 2020 I finally switched to OC 0.6.3 without making fresh install - which worked very well and I'm super happy with the way OC handles things.
- I didn't downgrade/switch the BIOS to other versions.

I'm not sure whether it's a CPU power management problem (C-states or something?) or maybe a videocard thing (Whatevergreen related?) or some USB related stuff...I don't know.

I'm happy to provide more information, but I hope it's enough for now to get me started?

thank you so much.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 22.58.38.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 22.58.38.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
2x nVMEs Samsung 970 Evo Plus
What is the firmware version of the 970 Evo Plus?
Have you ever tried macOS on a different drive(s) than theses 2 970 Evo Plus?

I did not uninstall NTFS for Mac.

I'm happy to provide more information, but I hope it's enough for now to get me started?

thank you so much.

I had a similar problem a year or so ago and it was only solved by removing NTFS for Mac. I can't remember which version, or maker, I was using.

It would be worth a quick check by removing it and see if you still have the problem.

What is the firmware version of the 970 Evo Plus?
Have you ever tried macOS on a different drive(s) than theses 2 970 Evo Plus?
I did make that mandatory firmware update on those nVMEs when I built the system. I remember there were problems with them, but I did the update before I installed macOS. I mean, the system run perfectly on those nVMEs couple of days ago on Catalina. Why should that suddenly change?

Never had macOS on other SSDs on this system, other than the install SSD.

I had a similar problem a year or so ago and it was only solved by removing NTFS for Mac. I can't remember which version, or maker, I was using.

It would be worth a quick check by removing it and see if you still have the problem.
I'll unsintall it right away and come back with feedback.

I'll unsintall it right away and come back with feedback.
Ok, no luck. I uninstalled it, rebooted, 6 minutes later: freeze.

Please follow this guide for replacing Clover with OpenCore (which uses latest OpenCore 0.6.6):

When you follow the above procedure, you'll see that we transfer serial numbers from old Clover config.plist into new OpenCore config.plist. That's the only thing we use from the old EFI folder, but the old EFI folder should be renamed to something like "EFI-Clover" so it's not lost.

Also, a full system backup should be made first.

We should not erase the macOS SSD. Instead, after replacing Clover with OpenCore, we boot into Catalina and then perform an in-place upgrade to Big Sur.

Windows NVMe SSD should be installed in the slot closest to the CPU. All macOS SSDs must be physically removed when installing Windows (otherwise Windows installer will definitely fail).
Quick question, when running the "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" getting this response that it's read-only. Is this the desired outcome?
touch: /System/Library/Extensions: Read-only file system

Quick question, when running the "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" getting this response that it's read-only. Is this the desired outcome?
touch: /System/Library/Extensions: Read-only file system
Please try this instead: sudo kextcache -i /

Ok, no luck. I uninstalled it, rebooted, 6 minutes later: freeze.
Some comments and questions:
  • So it seems Sleep has been turned off in System Preferences --> Energy Saver.
  • But after 5-6 minutes of idle time, the system crashes?
  • Does this happen every time the system is left idle for a few minutes or only sometimes?
  • Because you've migrated from Mojave to Catalina to Big Sur it is possible that some legacy application is not behaving properly.
    • Please run Activity Monitor and leave the window alone for 5-6 minutes.
    • If the system crashes, take a photo of the Activity Monitor window, remove EXIF location information from the photo, resize it down to 1MB or less, and post.

Back