Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

One again my Extreme machine is horked from trying to update to 11.2 My other machine worked perfectly...
I have a backup running 11.1 on an external USB-c / thunderbolt enclosure. It exhibits the same problem with updating apps from the store or even seeing the updated macOS 11.2 but at least it boots and runs the os.

I am running on OC 0.6.5 or 0.6.6 though the OC version has never made any difference. The original M2 internal drive is stuck after running the 11.2 installer from the store which i downloaded approx 12.5 Gig i did this since running the check for updates kept saying 11.1 was up to date. After the 2nd reboot you reach a point where selecting the installer from the picker runs the bar about a 1/4 way then just reboots. If you select the macos drive it now runs the line about 1/3 and just freezes there. I am losing my mind with this machine. I had previously erased/repartioned the internal M2 and restored it from the backup but it also would not load updates for apps or recognize the subsequent macOS updates as they roll out. I can grab another M2 drive at best buy locally. They have the 970Evo Plus and a WD Black SN-750 1TB drives. Should I avoid the Evo Plus, my current one is the 970 Pro 1TB

so the WD Black is preferred over the Samsung ?

On my main machine I'm using 970 EVO Plus with the latest firmware flashed (check Post #1 about this firmware history).
Look the difference of Temperature °C in the same system:
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 17.22.06.png

Never had a problem with the NVMe. But, personally, on my next buy Ill look for something else than 970 EVO Plus.

One again my Extreme machine is horked from trying to update to 11.2 My other machine worked perfectly...
I have a backup running 11.1 on an external USB-c / thunderbolt enclosure. It exhibits the same problem with updating apps from the store or even seeing the updated macOS 11.2 but at least it boots and runs the os.

I am running on OC 0.6.5 or 0.6.6 though the OC version has never made any difference. The original M2 internal drive is stuck after running the 11.2 installer from the store which i downloaded approx 12.5 Gig i did this since running the check for updates kept saying 11.1 was up to date. After the 2nd reboot you reach a point where selecting the installer from the picker runs the bar about a 1/4 way then just reboots. If you select the macos drive it now runs the line about 1/3 and just freezes there. I am losing my mind with this machine. I had previously erased/repartioned the internal M2 and restored it from the backup but it also would not load updates for apps or recognize the subsequent macOS updates as they roll out. I can grab another M2 drive at best buy locally. They have the 970Evo Plus and a WD Black SN-750 1TB drives. Should I avoid the Evo Plus, my current one is the 970 Pro 1TB

Try checking your config.plist file. If crs-active-config is anything other than 00000000, try changing it to that (temporarily if you need it to be something else). Reboot and clear NVRAM.

Will it do the update now?

@CaseySJ I am looking to do an upgrade to Big Sur from Catalina 10.15.7. I used Clover in my initial build, so I need to migrate to OpenCore for this upgrade. Couple questions:

1. Should I follow this guide and do a clean install of Big Sur w/ OpenCore? Is there a new guide for 0.6.6, I did a search and did not find anything.

2. Can I reuse my EFI in anyway? I am assuming no. Any recommendation on "cleaning/reformating" my system before I fresh install?
3. I am going to install Windows and make this a dual boot system, should I follow the recommendation on installing on NVMe SSD next to the CPU? Any recommendation on steps to take before I make the system change? Currently running Hack on the NVMe SSD next to the CPU.

Thanks for your assistance.

We have heard reports of various issues with WD SN750, but Samsung EVO Plus is fine (firmware issue was fixed some time ago).

Please clarify:
  • What NVMe SSDs are in the first system?
    • Is this system working fine and upgrades fine?
  • What NVMe SSDs are in the second system?
    • Is this the problematic system?
If you're thinking of replacing a M.2 drive, I would suggest one of these safe choices:
  • Silicon Power NVMe SSD
  • Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD
  • ADATA SX8200 or SX8200 Pro NVMe SSD
But first try something like this:
  • If you have a cheap or spare 128GB or larger SATA SSD, mount that internally or in a USB 3.0 enclosure
  • Clone the SN 750 to the SATA SSD
  • Physically remove the SN 750
  • Now check if system behaves properly

@CaseySJ I am looking to do an upgrade to Big Sur from Catalina 10.15.7. I used Clover in my initial build, so I need to migrate to OpenCore for this upgrade. Couple questions:

1. Should I follow this guide and do a clean install of Big Sur w/ OpenCore? Is there a new guide for 0.6.6, I did a search and did not find anything.
Please follow this guide for replacing Clover with OpenCore (which uses latest OpenCore 0.6.6):
2. Can I reuse my EFI in anyway? I am assuming no. Any recommendation on "cleaning/reformating" my system before I fresh install?
When you follow the above procedure, you'll see that we transfer serial numbers from old Clover config.plist into new OpenCore config.plist. That's the only thing we use from the old EFI folder, but the old EFI folder should be renamed to something like "EFI-Clover" so it's not lost.

Also, a full system backup should be made first.

We should not erase the macOS SSD. Instead, after replacing Clover with OpenCore, we boot into Catalina and then perform an in-place upgrade to Big Sur.
3. I am going to install Windows and make this a dual boot system, should I follow the recommendation on installing on NVMe SSD next to the CPU? Any recommendation on steps to take before I make the system change? Currently running Hack on the NVMe SSD next to the CPU.

Thanks for your assistance.
Windows NVMe SSD should be installed in the slot closest to the CPU. All macOS SSDs must be physically removed when installing Windows (otherwise Windows installer will definitely fail).

i will check that i don't think
Try checking your config.plist file. If crs-active-config is anything other than 00000000, try changing it to that (temporarily if you need it to be something else). Reboot and clear NVRAM.

Will it do the update now?
i will check that i don't think i have mine at 00000000 to be clear everything works on my machine except mac store updates and macOS updates. My Logic Pro works good, external TB audio interfaces etc all good. i can't help thinking i just have one little thing either configured wrong or a corrupt file since my backup does it too. It DID NOT have this problem on MOJAVE only started with Big Sur

The first system that
We have heard reports of various issues with WD SN750, but Samsung EVO Plus is fine (firmware issue was fixed some time ago).

Please clarify:
  • What NVMe SSDs are in the first system?
    • Is this system working fine and upgrades fine?
  • What NVMe SSDs are in the second system?
    • Is this the problematic system?
If you're thinking of replacing a M.2 drive, I would suggest one of these safe choices:
  • Silicon Power NVMe SSD
  • Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD
  • ADATA SX8200 or SX8200 Pro NVMe SSD
But first try something like this:
  • If you have a cheap or spare 128GB or larger SATA SSD, mount that internally or in a USB 3.0 enclosure
  • Clone the SN 750 to the SATA SSD
  • Physically remove the SN 750
  • Now check if system behaves properly
The first system that is OK is GA-Z170X-UD5 TH - i7-6700K - Gigabyte AMD RX-580
It has a samsung M2 but don't remember the version at the moment. It updates fine and mac apps update correctly on it. I have several M2's loose that are smaller in size and an external adapter/case as well. My backup on the
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme - i9-9900 - XFX RX-580 8GB is in an external TB/USB-Type C adapter. It exhibits the same problem with updates so I "assumed" i copied over a corrupt file(s) during the CCC backup process. I never have tried i don't believe pulling the M2 out and just running on the external backup to see if it makes any difference. I will try that when i get home and also change the CSR value to 00000000 as suggested by ploddles as i think mine is set differently, i thought i had verified it was OK during the last round of update problems from 11.0 to 11.1

Back