Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Are you trying to restore the original disk from the backup disk (i.e. copy the backup disk back to the original disk)?

If so, have you connected the backup disk and booted the computer from the backup disk?
Yes, I am trying to restore the original disk. I have booted from the back-up disk and trying to move forward with the restore process

Yes, I am trying to restore the original disk. I have booted from the back-up disk and trying to move forward with the restore process
Have you set the following?
  • SOURCE = backup disk
  • DESTINATION = original macOS SSD
If the original macOS SSD is not showing up, run Disk Utility and carefully erase (reformat) the original disk:
  • Name: Any name
  • Format: APFS
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
When the restoration is complete, manually mount the EFI partitions of the two drives and use Finder to copy the EFI folder from the backup disk to the original disk.

Have you set the following?
  • SOURCE = backup disk
  • DESTINATION = original macOS SSD
If the original macOS SSD is not showing up, run Disk Utility and carefully erase (reformat) the original disk:
  • Name: Any name
  • Format: APFS
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
When the restoration is complete, manually mount the EFI partitions of the two drives and use Finder to copy the EFI folder from the backup disk to the original disk.
Thanks @CaseySJ I believe I identified my problem.

What are the makes/models of all NVMe SSDs in the system?
970 EVO Plus, 1TB. That's all. My prior SSD has been removed. (It, too, is a 970 EVO Plus, but 2TB).

Also, I did the config.plist that you suggested (from your EFI rather than HackinDROM) and got the same result -- lock on the line after bridges 7, devices 14.

970 EVO Plus, 1TB. That's all. My prior SSD has been removed. (It, too, is a 970 EVO Plus, but 2TB).

Also, I did the config.plist that you suggested (from your EFI rather than HackinDROM) and got the same result -- lock on the line after bridges 7, devices 14.
Do you know if the 970 EVO Plus is running the latest firmware? We recently ran into an issue with the 970 EVO (non-plus version) that has a manufacturing date of 2020.10. The firmware on that model seems to be incompatible with macOS.

What is the manufacturing date on your 970 EVO Plus?

To check the firmware version it's necessary to install Windows and run Samsung's Magician software.

Do you know if the 970 EVO Plus is running the latest firmware? We recently ran into an issue with the 970 EVO (non-plus version) that has a manufacturing date of 2020.10. The firmware on that model seems to be incompatible with macOS.

What is the manufacturing date on your 970 EVO Plus?

To check the firmware version it's necessary to install Windows and run Samsung's Magician software.
We can also flash/check firmware without Windows.
Check the manual for more info.

At todays date (29/01/2021) the latest 970 EVO Plus firmware version is 2B2QEXM7 and it is attached to this post.
If you already running on macOS you can check firmware version from System Report > NVMExpress
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 02.19.30.png

All Samsung NVME and SATA SSD firmwares are downloadable from their official website.

How to flash the latest Samsung NVMe 970 EVO Plus firmware (or another one)?
1. Download balenaEtcher. (available for macOS, Windows, Linux)
2. Download attached firmware (for 970 EVO Plus) and uncompress it.
3. Plug any empty USB stick to your computer.
4. Install and open balenaEtcher.
Select downloaded-uncompressed .iso firmware utility file and your empty USB stick, then click to Flash!

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 01.09.47.png

Sometimes multiples attempts are needed before Flash starts flashing.
After successfully flashing plug your USB Stick to your Hackintosh if you have used another computer to create it.

5. Start/Restart your Hackintosh and enter to BIOS (F2)
Save your current BIOS Profile
then F7 to Load Optimized Defaults
Save & Exit.

6. At restart hit F12 and Select first UEFI Partition of your USB Stick with the firmware flashed on it.
IMG_0086.jpeg

7. Follow Samsung Firmware Update Utility:
IMG_0083.jpeg
IMG_0084.jpeg
IMG_0085.jpeg

8. After flashing the Utility will lead you to restart.
Don't forget to go back to BIOS (F2), Load your saved Bios Profile (in point 5).
Save & Exit.
Unplug the USB Stick.

@CaseySJ I hope this will be helpful for newbies.

Attachments

• Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_2B2QEXM7.iso.zip
    19.5 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
@Inqnuam

This is very helpful. Will add it to Quick Reference spoiler in the morning.

@CaseySJ I want to thank you and everyone who contributes here; the help and guidance is fantastic as well as entertaining. I've been having weird issues with my system since upgrading the BIOS to F9j. Nothing drastic, just USB devices disappearing for no reason. Specifically, my AverMedia LiveStreamer Cam 513 would randomly vanish, usually right before a Zoom meeting. :banghead:

I read post #29,236 today and immediately reinstalled F9i, reconfigured the BIOS, and reset the NVRAM. I'm now back to a stable state with all devices responding correctly.

Thanks again. This community ROCKS!!!:headbang:

Some things to check:
  • Please double check all BIOS parameters.
    • XHCI Handoff must be Enabled.
    • Thunderbolt parameters must be set correctly, including GPIO3 Force Pwr, which must be Enabled.
If problem persists please run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post that file.
Confirmed by a fellow member on the French Forum MacBidouille. SSP1 and 2 gone and not even working on Windows 10... So TB3 connectors for TB devices only, no more USB support on those ports, a bug?

**Edit: Oops, late to the party. Definitely a BIOS bug...

Back