Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes, any of the following are great choices:
Because you've already attempted to use the OpenIntel WiFi driver, let's see if we can get it working. Some of my reasons for discouraging its use:
  • Speeds are limited to 802.11n (does not yet support 802.11ac)
  • Wake from sleep may not work
  • Connections may drop unexpectedly
I am actually a vocal supporter of the OpenIntelWireless project. What they're doing is both commendable and highly promising. But for a work system (as opposed to one's personal or tinkering system) I must advise against it at this time.

So with those disclaimers out of the way, let's at least get you up and running on AirportItlwm.kext. Is it working now?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Yeah, WiFi is working, but I'll get a Fenvi soon. Also, I forgot I didn't have a Ethernet cord plugged in so that will probably works.
Now I can start recording music again!!!!

Is it no longer necessary to unlock MSR on newer BIOS versions? Gigabyte added the CFG lock option in BIOS? That was the main reason I wasn't updating BIOS since i didn't want to bother with MSR unlock again.

Thanks,
g\
BIOS F9g was the first version that added CFG-Lock in BIOS Setup. Not only was that a minor miracle, but it was set to Disabled by default! Imagine that!! :)

The latest version is F9i. Fortunately CFG-Lock is still present in BIOS Setup, but it is Enabled by default, so we must disable it manually. But this is a nothing-burger compared to the old method of struggling with setup_var.

Hello @CaseySJ! Happy new year you and everyone in the forum. Can't believe this build is about to go pass the 3.000 pages and 30.000 post. Truly amazing! Congrats!

Quick (stupid) question: How do you disable mouse support in Open Core (Canopy) Picker?

Hello @CaseySJ! Happy new year you and everyone in the forum. Can't believe this build is about to go pass the 3.000 pages and 30.000 post. Truly amazing! Congrats!

Quick (stupid) question: How do you disable mouse support in Open Core (Canopy) Picker?
Hello @nifranza,

Happy new year to you as well.

Have you experimented with this setting in OpenCore 0.6.5?
Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 12.53.18 PM.png

Hi Casey! I've been following your guide since Mojave and have upgraded and installed from scratch successfully through Big Sur. Thank you very much for all the details provided.
Everything on my setup is working fine: I'm on internal graphics because i have a Rtx card. But I noticed in VideoProc that i don't have HEVC support: is that a fixable problem or not? Also (possibly because of that?) a program that I use for remote gaming on my other PCs (Parsec Gaming) that could benefit from HEVC, immediately quits as soon as I start the connection to a host, wether it's h264 or 265 enabled. Thank you for your time!

Hi Casey! I've been following your guide since Mojave and have upgraded and installed from scratch successfully through Big Sur. Thank you very much for all the details provided.
Everything on my setup is working fine: I'm on internal graphics because i have a Rtx card. But I noticed in VideoProc that i don't have HEVC support: is that a fixable problem or not? Also (possibly because of that?) a program that I use for remote gaming on my other PCs (Parsec Gaming) that could benefit from HEVC, immediately quits as soon as I start the connection to a host, wether it's h264 or 265 enabled. Thank you for your time!
Hello @maso95yo,

Are you using VideoProc 4.1 in Big Sur? In my case there's no issue with UHD 630 as you can see. If you are in fact using v4.1, please run Hackintool and see if VDADecoder is "Fully Supported". This will appear on the front page of Hackintool.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 3.10.21 PM.png

I checked as per the pictures:
With both Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 and 0x3E980003 my Designare Z390 has both H.264 and HEVC enabled. This screenshot is with Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (same as yours).

Have you clicked the "Refresh" button as shown?

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 5.19.58 PM.png

The other difference between your system and mine is the version of macOS. I'm running macOS 11.2 public beta.

Also check whether you’re on OpenCore 0.6.5.

Last edited:
I have a 1080 Ti graphics card which still relies on the web-drivers from NVIDIA. Has anyone here had success using High Sierra as the OS for this hack as opposed to Mojave or Catalina?

Last edited:
With both Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 and 0x3E980003 my Designare Z390 has both H.264 and HEVC enabled. This screenshot is with Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (same as yours).

Have you clicked the "Refresh" button as shown?

View attachment 506121
The other difference between your system and mine is the version of macOS. I'm running macOS 11.2 public beta.

Also check whether you’re on OpenCore 0.6.5.
I'm on your 0.6.5 EFI and tried refreshing many times...
I could update to the public beta, why not, maybe it fixes. I'll let you know

EDIT:
I updated but no luck :(
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 14.16.47.png

Last edited:
Back