Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I started by learning how do a Hackintosh by watching Youtube, then I used OC GEN X to build a EFI folder and I used the opencore guide on GitHub dortania to compile and check my list, then I used sanity checker. Then when everything but the Thunderbolt worked, I dug deeper and found this site.
But there is so much info here I got confused.
The very last thing I did was used Hackindrom to change my config.plist hoping that would add Thunderbolt SSDT's that I though I was missing.
Sorry, hope that didn't mess things up too much.
The only device's connected to the Thunderbolt port on the z390 are,
Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter into the Quantum, then the other port on the Quantum is a Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800 cable into a Firewire 800 to 400 adapter into the Midas F-32 Firewire interface
Option 1:
To configure the on-board Thunderbolt ports, please copy the two attached SSDTs to OpenCore OC/ACPI folder and add entries for them in the ACPI section of the OpenCore config.plist. Then reboot and see if the Presonus works. If not, try hot plugging. It would be best to disconnect the Firewire device when testing the Presonus.

Option 2:
Also note that we have a fully configured OpenCore 0.6.5 EFI for the Designare Z390. We simply need to:
  • Copy PlatformInfocredentials into the file shown below (because you have an AMD GPU).
    • At the HackinDROM website, select Copy Config from the bottom of the window.
    • Then select Choose File (see screenshot below) and select your existing config.plist
    • From the drop-down list, select Z390 Designare OC 065 AMD GPU - CaseySJ (screenshot below)
    • When the new file is downloaded, rename it to config.plist
  • When you download the OpenCore 0.6.5 EFI (from this link), unzip the file if it's not auto-unzipped.
    • Then rename the folder to EFI
    • And copy the new config.plist into the OC folder located inside this downloaded EFI folder
  • Now you can copy this new EFI folder to the EFI partition of a USB flash disk (the USB flash disk must have been formatted with Scheme = GUID Partition Map)
  • Boot from the USB flash disk (pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen to select the USB flash disk from the BIOS boot menu).
  • Then boot macOS from the internal SSD.
  • If all goes well, the EFI folder from the USB flash disk can be copied to the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD (but backup the existing EFI folder first)
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 8.25.25 AM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
    6.1 KB · Views: 55
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 47
Step 1: Please check whether BIOS --> Boot --> CFG-Lock is Disabled. It is necessary to install BIOS F9g or newer (F9i is available from the Gigabyte website).
Thanks CFG got turned on at some point running OpenCore 0.6.5 no problems now. getting ready for the Big Sur upgrade, backup first.

Option 1:
To configure the on-board Thunderbolt ports, please copy the two attached SSDTs to OpenCore OC/ACPI folder and add entries for them in the ACPI section of the OpenCore config.plist. Then reboot and see if the Presonus works. If not, try hot plugging. It would be best to disconnect the Firewire device when testing the Presonus.

Option 2:
Also note that we have a fully configured OpenCore 0.6.5 EFI for the Designare Z390. We simply need to:
  • Copy PlatformInfocredentials into the file shown below (because you have an AMD GPU).
    • Then select Choose File (see screenshot below) and select your existing config.plist
    • From the drop-down list, select Z390 Designare OC 065 AMD GPU - CaseySJ (screenshot below)
  • When you download the OpenCore 0.6.5 EFI (from this link), unzip the file if it's not auto-unzipped.
    • And copy the new config.plist into the OC folder located inside this downloaded EFI folder
  • Now you can copy this new EFI folder to the EFI partition of a USB flash disk (the USB flash disk must have been formatted with Scheme = GUID Partition Map)
  • Boot from the USB flash disk (pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen to select the USB flash disk from the BIOS boot menu).
  • If all goes well, the EFI folder from the USB flash disk can be copied to the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD (but backup the existing EFI folder first)
View attachment 505947
Thank you!!
I did the "Option 1" for now and it connected the Quantum, then I connected the firewire interface and rebooted now it looks like its connected too!
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 12.10.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 12.11.45 PM.png

Updated F9j and all gone well. The only annoying thing (and you probably all know that) is that I have a folder with all print screens of previous BIOS settings as you cannot import a saved BIOS files of an older version...

** Mini-Guide: Upgrading to macOS 11.0.x Big Sur from macOS 10.15.x Catalina **
AVAILABLE STARTING NOVEMBER 12, 2020
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.
Appreciate all of the work everyone put into this, absolutely easy process to update from Opencore 0.6.5 Catalina to Big Sur

You will like the Quantum, believe me. Best interface I bought in the last ten years.
Hi! I've been using the 4848 for over a year already and then at least 6 months with the Midas console daisy chained through the Thunderbolt on the Quantum, it is sweet having 64 ins and 64 outs!!
So far the Quantum has been great.
The reason I bought a 2009 Mac Pro was that Windows always screwed up trying to use it as a platform for recording audio!!
Windows SUCKS for that!!!!!!
But the 2009 Mac Pro 5,1 Dual processor was getting TOO outdated, that's why I'm going Hackintosh!!

Appreciate all of the work everyone put into this, absolutely easy process to update from Opencore 0.6.5 Catalina to Big Sur
Glad to hear it!

Thank you!!
I did the "Option 1" for now and it connected the Quantum, then I connected the firewire interface and rebooted now it looks like its connected too!
That's more like it!

Option 1:

Option 2:
View attachment 505947
@CaseySJ I have a question. When I opened the fully configured EFI folder from your link, there are 2 config.plist in there already, one says AMD-GPU.plist and the other says intel-iGPU.plist.
Should I leave those in there and just copy the new config.plist in there with them?

Back