Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @GoldToneStudio,

The Presonus Quantum audio interface should work with the built-in Thunderbolt 3 ports on the Designare Z390. There is no need to flash the firmware. Have you tried connecting your 4848 to one of those ports?

Here's a post by an owner of the Quantum 2626 connected via TB3-to-TB2 adapter:

Hello @GoldToneStudio,

The Presonus Quantum audio interface should work with the built-in Thunderbolt 3 ports on the Designare Z390. There is no need to flash the firmware. Have you tried connecting your 4848 to one of those ports?

Here's a post by an owner of the Quantum 2626 connected via TB3-to-TB2 adapter:
Thanks for responding!
Yeah I tried both the ports on the Z390 before throwing my Titan PCIe card in. None of them worked. Light on the Quantum just flashes. But, when I boot into the Windows, it works.
Also, I forgot to mention I use a TB3 to TB2 Apple adapter to the Quantum then TB 2 to 800 FW cable to a 800 to 400 adapter to the Midas. Just so you know.

*** OpenCore 0.6.3 for Z390 Designare ***
Testers Needed​
@CaseySJ, always value your talents. I'm attempting to convert from Clover to OpenCore. The boot is immediately hanging at the beginning of the slider filing in under the Apple logo. Anything come to mind? Is this likely platform id? I've reviewed those settings multiple times but could easily be making a bad assumption.

Thanks for responding!
Yeah I tried both the ports on the Z390 before throwing my Titan PCIe card in. None of them worked. Light on the Quantum just flashes. But, when I boot into the Windows, it works.
Also, I forgot to mention I use a TB3 to TB2 Apple adapter to the Quantum then TB 2 to 800 FW cable to a 800 to 400 adapter to the Midas. Just so you know.
Oh I forgot, I'm on the latest bios F9i, when I connect to the built in TB 3 jacks on the z390 it works fine when I'm in Windows, just not in Mac OS.

@CaseySJ, always value your talents. I'm attempting to convert from Clover to OpenCore. The boot is immediately hanging at the beginning of the slider filing in under the Apple logo. Anything come to mind? Is this likely platform id? I've reviewed those settings multiple times but could easily be making a bad assumption.

Any particular reason to go for OC 0.6.3 rather than the latest OC 0.6.5? Have you checked that you have disabled CFG-Lock in BIOS.

Any particular reason to go for OC 0.6.3 rather than the latest OC 0.6.5? Have you checked that you have disabled CFG-Lock in BIOS.
Only reason for 0.6.3 was the mini guide. I figured I would update once working.

Only reason for 0.6.3 was the mini guide. I figured I would update once working.
Here is the link to the 0.6.5 mini guide.

Oh I forgot, I'm on the latest bios F9i, when I connect to the built in TB 3 jacks on the z390 it works fine when I'm in Windows, just not in Mac OS.
Some general suggestions (based on UAD audio interfaces):
  • Install latest Presonus drivers for macOS.
  • Install latest firmware on the Presonus itself.
  • Perform a "hardware reset" on the Presonus if such an option exists.
  • In BIOS Setup, change Thunderbolt Boot Support to Boot Once.
  • Try connecting the Presonus prior to boot. Also try hot plug.
  • With the Presonus connected, run IORegistryExplorer and post the IOReg file (File --> Save As...). This allows us to see just how much or how little of the Presonus device tree is seen by macOS.

Step 1: Please check whether BIOS --> Boot --> CFG-Lock is Disabled. It is necessary to install BIOS F9g or newer (F9i is available from the Gigabyte website).

Disconnecting the Wacom device enables me to boot but I still get some intermittent weird behaviour - finder unexpectedly quitting on launch, spotlight not working. I can connect the Wacom device once booted but after a while it stops working properly. Also get the attached problem on boot sometimes.
Some background questions:
  • Although you stated that the problem started suddenly, was macOS updated recently?
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Have you tried connecting the Wacom to a real Mac running the same version of macOS?

Back