Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ
Are you aware of any issues with surround sound on the Z390 boards? I have used both alcid=11 and alcid=16 and cannot get either to have surround sound. I have a Logitech Z906 5.1ch system connected to my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme MB using both the Optical Out and the (Line Out/Front Speakers, Rear Speaker Out & Centre/Subwoofer Speaker Out) No luck with Digital/Optical or the Line Out jacks on the rear of the MB. I have noticed when I change from using alcid=11 to alcid=16 I get an extra option for using internal speakers of which works via the Line Out Jacks however this only operates the Front L&R, Centre and Subwoofer and does not operate the rear speakers. When using either alcid=11 or alcid=16 I get two line out sound output options, the first Line Out only operates the Centre and Subwoofer and the second Line Out option only operates the rear speakers.

I have used several sites and methods to test the surround sound and each individual speak and still no luck. I forgot to mention, I do however get surround sound via the Optical Out but it does not operate as it should during individual speaker output tests, the Front L&R speakers appear to operate at the same time as the Rear L&R speakers.

Fingers crossed someone has a solution
Good question. As far as I know, surround sound is only available on Windows and requires a Gigabyte app and/or driver. The optical digital output, however, works perfectly for me with Layout ID 11. I'm using a Toslink cable to connect my Kanto YU4, which results in remarkably good sound. And this is coming from someone with Naim separates, Denafrips DAC (with a resistor-to-resistor or R2R ladder instead of an off-the-shelf DAC chip), B&W tower speakers, and a Balanced Audio Tech (BAT) vacuum-tube pre-amp (which is not currently hooked up). [To be forthright, I must admit that the combination of Naim + Denafrips + B&W is astoundingly and mind-blowingly better as it should be because of its physical capacity to move tons more air and consume tons more power.]

Anyway, if anyone has been able to get surround sound working in macOS, please let us know.

Last edited:
The restore process can be as follows:
  • If we backed up the Home folder with Carbon Copy Cloner, we can restore it very easily by switching the Source and Destination disks.
  • If we backed up using Acronis True Image, we can restore selected disks from the Acronis backup. When Acronis backs up the entire computer, it keeps the identify of each drive in the system. Recovery, therefore, consists of choosing which drive(s) to restore.
Hi @CaseySJ , trying to restore my back image from CC Cloner and looking for some more specifics...or maybe I am missing something. I successfully booted from my back-up, but what procedure should I follow next?

Hi @CaseySJ , trying to restore my back image from CC Cloner and looking for some more specifics...or maybe I am missing something. I successfully booted from my back-up, but what procedure should I follow next?
After booting from the backup disk we can simply run Carbon Copy Cloner in reverse:
  • SOURCE --> set this to the backup disk from which you booted.
  • DESTINATION --> set this to the internal or original SSD.
  • Then click Clone at the bottom right of the window.
  • When the cloning job is done, you can manually mount the EFI partitions of both disks and copy the EFI folder from the backup disk to the EFI Partition of the internal or original SSD. However, if the original disk already has the same EFI folder as the backup disk, then you can skip this step.
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 8.29.37 AM.png

And here’s one of the first... An LG UltraFine 4K 31.5” OLED monitor. It has USB-C, two DPs, and one HDMI. Best of all, it is OLED! Perfect blacks...but what about burn-in (which affects stationary images such as those displayed by a computer)?
this is exactly what I was searching for, but never thought about the price :mrgreen::think:

Good question. As far as I know, surround sound is only available on Windows and requires a Gigabyte app and/or driver. The optical digital output, however, works perfectly for me with Layout ID 11. I'm using a Toslink cable to connect my Kanto YU4, which results in remarkably good sound. And this is coming from someone with Naim separates, Denafrips DAC (with a resistor-to-resistor or R2R ladder instead of an off-the-shelf DAC chip), B&W tower speakers, and a Balanced Audio Tech (BAT) vacuum-tube pre-amp (which is not currently hooked up). [To be forthright, I must admit that the combination of Naim + Denafrips + B&W is astoundingly and mind-blowingly better as it should be because of its physical capacity to move tons more air and consume tons more power.]

Anyway, if anyone has been able to get surround sound working in macOS, please let us know.
You sound like a sound buff haha :) Well my surround is working using the optical out I just wasn't sure if it was working correctly as it appeared the rear speakers were not working independently to the front speakers as when I run a test, lets say on the rear left speaker, the front right speaker also plays the sound. Have you been able to get the boot up chime working through your optical output? If so, what audio out setting in OC are you using? I changed mine to 1 and could get the chime working through one of my line out jacks however would love to get it working through Optical Out.

Hi,
I have the exact same hardware as the the original build and things have been working perfectly so far with Catalina and Clover 5122.

I would now like to do a clean install following the mine-guide and install Big Sur using Open Core. Everything seems to be pretty straight-forward expect that I will do this with OpenCore 0.6.5 instead of version 0.6.3 that is mentioned in the mini-guide.

My question is how I should add the parameters (system name, serial number etc) mentioned in the OpenCore guide. It assumes that I am updating from a previous OpenCore version. Can I simply take the values from Clover Configurator/SMBIOS? Considering that I am going to wipe the drive and Catalina and do a fresh install. Thank you for your help.

Hi,
I have the exact same hardware as the the original build and things have been working perfectly so far with Catalina and Clover 5122.

I would now like to do a clean install following the mine-guide and install Big Sur using Open Core. Everything seems to be pretty straight-forward expect that I will do this with OpenCore 0.6.5 instead of version 0.6.3 that is mentioned in the mini-guide.
Yes please use OpenCore 0.6.5.
My question is how I should add the parameters (system name, serial number etc) mentioned in the OpenCore guide. It assumes that I am updating from a previous OpenCore version. Can I simply take the values from Clover Configurator/SMBIOS? Considering that I am going to wipe the drive and Catalina and do a fresh install. Thank you for your help.
If you open your existing Clover config.plist in Clover Configurator and the OpenCore config.plist in OpenCore Configurator, you can simple copy-and-paste the credentials as follows:

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 2.25.51 PM.png

After booting from the backup disk we can simply run Carbon Copy Cloner in reverse:
  • SOURCE --> set this to the backup disk from which you booted.
  • DESTINATION --> set this to the internal or original SSD.
  • Then click Clone at the bottom right of the window.
  • When the cloning job is done, you can manually mount the EFI partitions of both disks and copy the EFI folder from the backup disk to the EFI Partition of the internal or original SSD. However, if the original disk already has the same EFI folder as the backup disk, then you can skip this step.
View attachment 504660
Hi Man,

I'm an intermediary in dealing with informatics, could you help me please?
I'm building my new machine and in this right moment I bought my video card, PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 580 AXRX 8GB 3-DH"DV2"/OC. Is it much different of AXRX 3DH/OC? Would you know if will be some incompatibility?

Thanks in advanced!

I'm an intermediary in dealing with informatics, could you help me please?
I'm building my new machine and in this right moment I bought my video card, PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 580 AXRX 8GB 3-DH"DV2"/OC. Is it much different of AXRX 3DH/OC? Would you know if will be some incompatibility?
Hello @Johnsson

The PowerColor RX 580 3DHDV2/OC should work just fine.

Back