Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

No. I tried booting with Thunderbolt disabled in the BIOS and booting without the TB SSDT. No luck.

Perhaps it is something else.

Just tried booting again and it stopped here.
I think you're missing the attached SSDT, which fixes the problem shown below:

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 5.23.02 PM.png

Please add the attached SSDT to OC/ACPI folder and to config.plist and try booting once again.

Attachments

• SSDT-RTC0-RANGE.aml
    206 bytes · Views: 41
Mother of jesus and lord almighty @CaseySJ, you F did it. It flawlessly work, I tried a Thunderbolt hard drive and it mounts and also network with another hacktintosh using a Titan Ridge and it works!

I get the same speed as using the 10Gb Ethernet that I was using before, but anyway it works! You son of Thor!!!

Edit: Thank you very much
Awesome, glad to hear it!! :) Will add this to the Alpine Ridge Repository.

Awesome, glad to hear it!! :) Will add this to the Alpine Ridge Repository.
just to make sure and I don't know if makes a difference, you named the file that you sent me GA-X99-SLI, but the motherboard I am using is a GA-X99P-SLI (note the P), seem this one has the Thunderbolt chip onboard and the one without the P has the pin header to connect a PCI Thunderbolt card. I am not sure if that matters.

just to make sure and I don't know if makes a difference, you named the file that you sent me GA-X99-SLI, but the motherboard I am using is a GA-X99P-SLI (note the P), seem this one has the Thunderbolt chip onboard and the one without the P has the pin header to connect a PCI Thunderbolt card. I am not sure if that matters.
Thanks for pointing this out. I've made the changes to the Alpine Ridge Repository. It affects the name only, but not functionality.

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 5.32.53 PM.png

I think you're missing the attached SSDT, which fixes the problem shown below:

View attachment 503766

Please add the attached SSDT to OC/ACPI folder and to config.plist and try booting once again.
@imcalledandy

If Big Sur still fails to boot, please replace the previous SSDT-RTC0-RANGE.aml with the modified version attached here. Because your DSDT already contains a RTC._STA method, the previous version may not work.

Attachments

• SSDT-RTC0-RANGE.aml
    172 bytes · Views: 48
Hey @CaseySJ,
just one last thing, I can't find any information about the specific settings for Thunderbolt on this BIOS, but so far I found similar names, but the question is, do you happen to know if I have to increase the Reserved Memory (now at 256) or the Prefetchable Memory (now at 32)?
Also for future reference if someone is reading this to add it in their systems if I change the PCIe Cache-line Size to other that 32 it does not work.

@imcalledandy

If Big Sur still fails to boot, please replace the previous SSDT-RTC0-RANGE.aml with the modified version attached here. Because your DSDT already contains a RTC._STA method, the previous version may not work.
@CaseySJ it failed to boot so trying this now - thank you for your continued help and patience!

Glad to hear it. Welcome to the cutting edge... :)

Not sure if it's confirmation bias, just me, or what...but Big Sur seems snappier than Catalina did. And the graphics (well, the text on screen) are just a bit sharper. I'm going with confirmation bias ;)

@CaseySJ - THANK YOU! That modified SSDT did the trick! I can now boot into Big Sur.

There are still some issues with TB however.
  • Hotplug works but only for one eGPU at a time.
    • So both work as in I can see both Akitio Nodes in the Device Tree, but only one GPU is available.
  • The Vendor name is blank and the UID is: 0x0000000000000000
  • The speed is: Up to 20Gb/s x2
    • See image
    • Thunderbolt-Device-Tree-Big-Sur.png
  • I'm including an image of Graphics / Displays showing the 5900XT available.
    • Graphics-Displays-Big-Sur.png
  • I've also included the ioreg file now I'm in Big Sur.

Attachments

• Andy’s Mac Pro - Big Sur.ioreg.zip
    6 MB · Views: 43
@CaseySJ further to my post above, if I cold boot with both eGPUs connected, the GPU connected to the top port is recognised / available.
The bottom eGPU is there in the TB Device Tree but the GPU isn't available.

Also, the Graphics / Displays looks quite different when booting this way.
Graphics-Displays-Big-Sur-2.png

Back