Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @imcalledandy,

Welcome to the forum! Was the Thunderbolt firmware flashed when you were running Catalina, or did you flash the firmware after upgrading to Big Sur? Because the eGPUs were working in Catalina, I assume firmware was flashed back then?
  • What are the makes/models of the two eGPUs?
  • Which one works in Big Sur and which one does not?
  • What are the makes/models of the GPUs inside each eGPU chassis?

Please clarify if you flashed the firmware after upgrading to Big Sur or it was flashed earlier when you were running Catalina?

This just means that the Thunderbolt SSDT you're using is not properly set up. Please post the following files:
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...
  • The Thunderbolt SSDT you're currently using

This is typically resolved by fixing the Thunderbolt SSDT (see above).

Please clarify whether (a) both graphics cards in both eGPUs do not show up or (b) one of the graphics cards in one of the eGPUs shows up?
  • Is this in Catalina?
  • Your first sentence states that both eGPUs were working in Catalina...
As you can see, it's vitally important to provide details clearly. I always encourage everyone to use bullet lists instead of lengthy paragraphs.
Thank you so much for the welcome and reply @CaseySJ - I'll provide the information below:
  • I flashed the firmware AFTER upgrading to Big Sur.
    • Some background for context: In Big Sur I was experiencing an issue (which I had prior to one of the later builds of OpenCore or macOS Catalina) in that only one eGPU was being recognised - or rather I could only boot with one plugged in – both worked, only one at a time. With two plugged it it would get to the Apple logo and progress bar and just reboot.
    • I think it was a PCI lane width issue as I have 2x Radeon VII in the case at 16x and one of the eGPUs was showing up as 16x in System Information > PCI-E whereas it was showing as 4x in Graphics / Displays so 16+16+16+16 would be too many lanes. I needed it to be 16+16+4+4. I did not know how to fix this so thought flashing the firmware was my best option.
  • So with that in mind, to answer the question above, both worked in Big Sur, just not at the same time, as they did in Catalina. I use my machine for GPU rendering so going from 4 cards down to 3 meant I was taking a speed hit hence why I was keen to get 4 back up and running.
  • eGPUs are 2x TB3 Akitio Nodes.
  • Both eGPUs were working in Catalina - without hotplug.
  • a) Both graphics cards (Radeon VII and 5700XT) now do not show up in my Catalina backup.
    • When I turn on the eGPUs the Akitio Nodes ARE recognised but we don't see the cards inside, even though they behave as if they are recognised - i.e. the fans do not spin constantly, you get the initial rev up and then they settle (if that makes sense).
    • I've tried cold boot as well – the method that previously worked. Again, the eGPU boxes are there, just not the GPUs.
  • I got my SSDTs via Hackintool and found the Thunderbolt SSDT.
    • Then I used the HackinDROM tool.
    • I uploaded my Thunderbolt SSDT and then used the tool to tweak the Vendor name so that it says Apple, Inc (rather than the firmware gobbledegook) and at the same time I got a new TB UID.
      • perhaps this step wasn't needed, but I've also tried booting with the original Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • I'm using OpenCore 0.6.4

Attachments

• Requested Files.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hi, @CaseySJ!

I've bought a flashed Titan Ridge TB 3 card (eBay) to add to my ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X Motherboard (MyHero II build). I'm trying to figure where to start as the MyHero II motherboard does not have any on-board TB3 controller. I've tried searching your two GB descriptions for a usable SSDT, but couldn't find one. Do you have a guide or recommendation how I should start out after I install the card? TIA.

MyHero II is currently running Mojave using Clover. However, I'm going to update to Catalina with OC *real soon now*.

Been rocking this in a Hero X build for 10 months now! I actually flashed again with the NVM33 after that post in your thread as well and have had no issues with my SSDT after first correcting the RP thanks to @CaseySJ. Also still on Mojave with latest Clover and Acidanthera kexts.

Last edited:
The Titan Ridge card came with all the goodies including the jumper pin cable. The card is V2.
Cool!
I've attach the IOReg file.
I do not see the GC-Titan Ridge in IOReg. Is the card installed along with the jumper wire between the top and middle pins?

Thank you so much for the welcome and reply @CaseySJ - I'll provide the information below:
  • I flashed the firmware AFTER upgrading to Big Sur.
    • Some background for context: In Big Sur I was experiencing an issue (which I had prior to one of the later builds of OpenCore or macOS Catalina) in that only one eGPU was being recognised - or rather I could only boot with one plugged in – both worked, only one at a time. With two plugged it it would get to the Apple logo and progress bar and just reboot.
    • I think it was a PCI lane width issue as I have 2x Radeon VII in the case at 16x and one of the eGPUs was showing up as 16x in System Information > PCI-E whereas it was showing as 4x in Graphics / Displays so 16+16+16+16 would be too many lanes. I needed it to be 16+16+4+4. I did not know how to fix this so thought flashing the firmware was my best option.
  • So with that in mind, to answer the question above, both worked in Big Sur, just not at the same time, as they did in Catalina. I use my machine for GPU rendering so going from 4 cards down to 3 meant I was taking a speed hit hence why I was keen to get 4 back up and running.
  • eGPUs are 2x TB3 Akitio Nodes.
  • Both eGPUs were working in Catalina - without hotplug.
  • a) Both graphics cards (Radeon VII and 5700XT) now do not show up in my Catalina backup.
    • When I turn on the eGPUs the Akitio Nodes ARE recognised but we don't see the cards inside, even though they behave as if they are recognised - i.e. the fans do not spin constantly, you get the initial rev up and then they settle (if that makes sense).
    • I've tried cold boot as well – the method that previously worked. Again, the eGPU boxes are there, just not the GPUs.
  • I got my SSDTs via Hackintool and found the Thunderbolt SSDT.
    • Then I used the HackinDROM tool.
    • I uploaded my Thunderbolt SSDT and then used the tool to tweak the Vendor name so that it says Apple, Inc(rather than the firmware gobbledegook) and at the same time I got a new TB UID.
      • perhaps this step wasn't needed, but I've also tried booting with the original Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • I'm using OpenCore 0.6.4
Please check if you have SSDT-DTPG.aml in your OC/ACPI folder along with a reference to it in ACPI section of config.plist. The file is attached in case you don't have it.

So let's reboot with this file and check IORegistryExplorer again, as well as System Information --> Thunderbolt. Feel free to:
  • Post the IOReg file with both eGPUs connected
  • Post screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt with both eGPUs connected

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 41
I can only help you activate Thunderbolt Bus. The rest is up to macOS's drivers, the motherboard BIOS, the device itself, etc. Still interested? :)
Heck yeah let's do it for science!

here is the info:
OS X 10.13.6
Opencore 0.6.4

And attached are the files

Thank you!

Attachments

• DSDT.dsl
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • X99.ioreg
    4 MB · Views: 38

here is the info:
OS X 10.13.6
Opencore 0.6.4

Thank you!
Working on it now. Meanwhile, please also post the DSDT.aml file from the same export folder.

Please check if you have SSDT-DTPG.aml in your OC/ACPI folder along with a reference to it in ACPI section of config.plist. The file is attached in case you don't have it.

So let's reboot with this file and check IORegistryExplorer again, as well as System Information --> Thunderbolt. Feel free to:
  • Post the IOReg file with both eGPUs connected
  • Post screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt with both eGPUs connected
@CaseySJ I did not have SSDT-DTPG.aml in my OC/ACPI folder, but I had tried it previously as I recall.

I used your attached version, rebooted and Big Sur still would not boot.

We got a bit further though - see image.
IMG_7432.jpg

Posting IOREG with eGPUs connected (from Catalina Backup) along with this screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt-Device-Tree.png

Also posting my DSDT.aml if it helps!

Attachments

• Andy’s Mac Pro.ioreg.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 41
  • DSDT.aml
    264.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
@CaseySJ I did not have SSDT-DTPG.aml in my OC/ACPI folder, but I had tried it previously as I recall.

I used your attached version, rebooted and Big Sur still would not boot.

We got a bit further though - see image.
View attachment 503745
Posting IOREG with eGPUs connected (from Catalina Backup) along with this screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt
View attachment 503746

Also posting my DSDT.aml if it helps!
Ah, your PCI bus base path is PC00 instead of PCI0. Please try the attached modified Thunderbolt SSDT. Ensure that SSDT-DTPG.aml is still enabled.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml
    6.1 KB · Views: 45

here is the info:
OS X 10.13.6
Opencore 0.6.4

Thank you!

Working on it now. Meanwhile, please also post the DSDT.aml file from the same export folder.
I've created the Thunderbolt Bus SSDT, but it will not work yet. Please post DSDT.aml as requested above so I can create a required ACPI rename patch.

Back