Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Kind of an interesting problem cropped up, @CaseySJ, with my USB. I have a powered (90w) 12-port USB hub connected via USB-C on the motherboard. Previously, everything worked without issue. Suddenly, the only thing Catalina recognizes as connected to that hub is my LaCie external drive. My Komplete S49 Mk2 controller used to work, I was using it in Cubase/Ableton just fine maybe two weeks ago. Yesterday? No joy. It doesn't even show as connected in System Report. Nor do any of the other peripherals I have connected there, with the lone exception being the LaCie drive.

I rebooted in to Windows and everything shows up just fine there. Which would seem to rule out the hub itself, or mass extinction of the peripherals.

I swear I haven't touched anything. I have tried powering down, disconnecting power for 10 minutes, powering on. No change. Any thoughts on where to start?

It should be possible to upgrade directly from High Sierra to Catalina. You may keep the system name as iMac14,2 and consider changing it after the upgrade is done and a full backup has been made. To change the name, just change the name (leaving everything else intact). :) But monitor the system for a few days to see if there's any odd behavior. iCloud will work, but it is a good to log out of iCloud before starting the upgrade and de-registering the computer from your iCloud account. Then start the Catalina upgrade and log back into iCloud when it's fully installed.
@CaseySJ , in Clover configurator, if we choose Product Name from the menu, then we will see changes in hardware/firmware serial numbers which makes sense. I also know that Clover will allow me to change just product name (to 19,1). I’m wondering if potentially I may experience possible performance impact by leaving everything else intact? Do those numbers play any role in communicating to macOS of what hardware/firmware is installed?

Kind of an interesting problem cropped up, @CaseySJ, with my USB. I have a powered (90w) 12-port USB hub connected via USB-C on the motherboard. Previously, everything worked without issue. Suddenly, the only thing Catalina recognizes as connected to that hub is my LaCie external drive. My Komplete S49 Mk2 controller used to work, I was using it in Cubase/Ableton just fine maybe two weeks ago. Yesterday? No joy. It doesn't even show as connected in System Report. Nor do any of the other peripherals I have connected there, with the lone exception being the LaCie drive.

I rebooted in to Windows and everything shows up just fine there. Which would seem to rule out the hub itself, or mass extinction of the peripherals.

I swear I haven't touched anything. I have tried powering down, disconnecting power for 10 minutes, powering on. No change. Any thoughts on where to start?
If you disconnect all devices from the 12-port hub and connect one at a time, will each device be recognized in macOS? If you now move a device to another port on the same hub, will it still be recognized? When you subsequently connect one additional device at a time, will all devices be recognized?

Also, is there an LED on the hub that confirms that it is being powered by the external power supply?

@CaseySJ , in Clover configurator, if we choose Product Name from the menu, then we will see changes in hardware/firmware serial numbers which makes sense. I also know that Clover will allow me to change just product name (to 19,1). I’m wondering if potentially I may experience possible performance impact by leaving everything else intact? Do those numbers play any role in communicating to macOS of what hardware/firmware is installed?
The safest thing is to change/update all of the SMBIOS parameters so they’re internally consistent. However, this will require re-licensing applications and plugins. The “cutting corners” method is to change only the system name and then hope and pray everything continues to run fine. :)

Hi all,
I just tried following the guides written by @CaseySJ and flashed my Titan Ridge V2 (and applied SSDT patch), but after that the card won't recognize any device in macOS. System Info -> Thunderbolt does show stuff now but any time I connect a device, port speed changes from 40Gb/s x1 to 20Gb/s x2 and then nothing.
Weirdly the flashed card works in linux and if I then warm reboot to macOS then it still works, but System Info still shows "No device connected", and if I then do a hotplug then it'll stop working again.
For now I had to flash it back to stock. Anyone can help me on this please?
If you decide to flash the card again, please provide the following supporting information:
  • IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer (File —> Save As...)
  • Screenshot of System Infornation —> Thunderbolt
  • Make and model names of the Thunderbolt devices you’re connecting
  • Also let us know if you‘re using a TB3-to-TB2 adapter

If you decide to flash the card again, please provide the following supporting information:
  • IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer (File —> Save As...)
  • Screenshot of System Infornation —> Thunderbolt
  • Make and model names of the Thunderbolt devices you’re connecting
  • Also let us know if you‘re using a TB3-to-TB2 adapter
I'll definitely try flashing again soon. Do I capture IOReg before or after flashing the card?

I'll definitely try flashing again soon. Do I capture IOReg before or after flashing the card?
To be safe it would be best to capture IOReg both before and after.

If you disconnect all devices from the 12-port hub and connect one at a time, will each device be recognized in macOS? If you now move a device to another port on the same hub, will it still be recognized? When you subsequently connect one additional device at a time, will all devices be recognized?

Also, is there an LED on the hub that confirms that it is being powered by the external power supply?

I was down a different rabbit hole before I saw your reply. But, it was a productive rabbit hole excursion! I opened the DSDT to verify the USB port configs hadn't changed. They hadn't. However, I quickly realized the issue.

A couple weeks ago I had to replace a failed radiator fan on my CPU cooler. In doing so, I had to de-cable the case then reconnect everything. I plugged the USB-C from the hub in to the wrong Thunderbolt port on the mobo. Naturally, I picked the one that is disabled, not the one that is enabled. It's curious that the LaCie would still work, though.

At any rate, problem solved. Apologies for diverting you from more pressing support issues. Thanks again for your willingness to jump in and help!

Any update on drm content on Big Sur with designare z390 amd Vega frontier edition with 19,1 iMac ? I tried to follow the note 8: posted by @CaseySJ and tried shikigva 80 , 32 , and 16 for spoofing. I added the frontier edition to show up under pci in system information and also set the boot arg to different varieties 80, 32, and 16. Every thing worked before on 19,1 on 10.15.5 and lower.. hope there will be a improvement of update from the WEG TEAM or open core. I’m running oc 0.6.4 atm.
Please see this post:

Back