Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey, guys, I am trying to go from a Clover system to an Open Core system, following the mini guides and using the OC 0.6.4 folder.
I am using the F9i BIOS with the settings from the mini guides.
I have cleared all the Clover files from my system as suggested in the mini guide.
I have created my USB install drive and followed the steps to boot from the USB drive. I get through the boot picker, and I was able to reset NVRAM, but when I select the internal drive to run, I get a kernel panic. It gets to the message "System uptime in nanoseconds: 1065475538
Please go to https://panic.apple.com to report this panic"
and then nothing else happens...

Tried searching for this issue, found nothing helpful.
But the Verbose messages seem to indicate that the kexts are not loading?

I am using Mojave 10.14.6. as my current OS.
Please try this:
  • Boot Mojave using Clover
  • Then open Terminal and type:
Bash:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
  • Then reboot and see if OpenCore can boot Mojave

Thank you so much for your service in putting all this together and continuing to support the thread

I'm doing a clean install of Big Sur, because I'm leaving my GTX 1060, High Sierra, and Clover behind, but until there's some support for the Big Navi GPUs, I'm going to turning off the GPU slot in OpenCore, and just running off the iGPU in my i5-9600k
Do you have any insight on what the best system definition for this is going to be, and what changes I should make to the 0.6.4 EFI?
Sorry for asking for you to hold my hand, but I'm tryina get this first OpenCore build right!
The best option I believe is still iMac19,1 for nearly everyone. For videographers, however, iMacPro1,1 with an AMD GPU will produce the best export (rendering) speeds.

Merry (day-after) Christmas!

Good to know: With platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless) and using on-board HDMI and on-board TB3, tv app works fine with iMac19,1.

However, yesterday @lerass provided this interesting post (I haven't tried the suggestion yet) to enable tv app using AMD GPU:
Bash:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -bool YES
Merry christmas :)

Yes, terminal commands are same ! It work with and without IGPU. Theses commands seems to be known for long time as we can see on @zangadao post :)

Merry christmas :)

Yes, terminal commands are same ! It work with and without IGPU. Theses commands seems to be known for long time as we can see on @zangadao post :)
Awesome! Thank you for confirming that those commands work.

Please try this:
  • Boot Mojave using Clover
  • Then open Terminal and type:
Bash:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
  • Then reboot and see if OpenCore can boot Mojave
Thanks a bunch, it is working now. Have a great holiday season @CaseySJ - the same of course goes for everyone on this forum!

Do we definitively know if Big Sur resolved the issue with the USB devices by chance?

I'm wondering if it's safe to remove this USB expansion card and go back to on-board, or if it's still best practice to use the card and forgo the motherboard connections?
We're actually counting on those who experienced this problem to let us know. I cannot reproduce it because of my lack of USB 2 devices.

Hi all,
I just tried following the guides written by @CaseySJ and flashed my Titan Ridge V2 (and applied SSDT patch), but after that the card won't recognize any device in macOS. System Info -> Thunderbolt does show stuff now but any time I connect a device, port speed changes from 40Gb/s x1 to 20Gb/s x2 and then nothing.
Weirdly the flashed card works in linux and if I then warm reboot to macOS then it still works, but System Info still shows "No device connected", and if I then do a hotplug then it'll stop working again.
For now I had to flash it back to stock. Anyone can help me on this please?

Last edited:
Back