Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Unfortunately that exhausts the various options I can think of. Thunderbolt monitors are very finicky on Hackintosh and should ideally be avoided.

I'll post a warning at the top of Post 1 to avoid Thunderbolt monitors and some Corsair "smart" devices (including Corsair Commander Pro).

It was worth a try. Thanks again for trying! I did solve the problem of the computer turning back on at shutdown by turning OFF wake from thunderbolt device in the bios.

I went back to Alex's SSDT that you modified and posted yesterday. I still have the issue with the sounds, camera, etc disabling after sleep, but all is good before sleep.

Here is a quick comparison of my experiences with flashed Titan Ridge(with GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin) and unflashed Alpine Ridge AIC with the Apple TBD:

Flashed Titan Ridge 1.0 AIC:

Pros:
- Apple USB bus within the monitor stays on after sleep, maintaining speakers, camera, USB ports on back of display
- Active TB bus that supports hot swapping
- Sleep works normally

Cons:

- Display doesn't turn on till part way through the boot up cycle. Requires a second monitor or ghost plug to boot into Mac OS.
- Monitor does not always turn on after sleep. Requires unplugging the TB cable and plugging back in to wake display up. Speakers and USB 2.0 devices in display still work after doing the hot plug.
- More cable management required and larger footprint. Needs power supply cable and USB 2.0 header cable.

Unflashed Apple Ridge Card 2.0 AIC:

Pros:

- Apple TBD turns on at post. Allowing for bios modifications or choosing a different operating system.
- Fewer cables to connect(no USB 2.0 header cable and no requirement for an additional power supply cable).
- No flashing required to use an apple TBD.
- Sleep works normally

Cons:
- USB 2.0 bus disappears after sleep along with other thunderbolt devices in the display. Speakers, Ethernet, USB hub on display, FaceTime camera stop working after sleep. Needs a restart to reeenable.

TBD:
- Does monitor turn on reliably after sleep?

Compared to my flashed Titan Ridge AIC, having the monitor turn on at post is definitely a huge plus. If the monitor turns on consistently after sleep, I'll probably stay with AR and hope I can eventually solve the issue with the USB 2.0 devices disappearing after sleep. I can always plug in an external speaker, and just do a restart to reactivate the camera(which I rarely use). In either case, it's definitely usable. I think the behavior with Titan Ridge is acceptable for those that have a second monitor always plugged in all the time. AR is better for a single monitor setup. I got around then need for a second monitor by using the HDMI ghost plug(your suggestion a few months ago!). I do plug in a second monitor if I need to get into the bios with TR. The alternative with TR is to boot into macOS, and then sometimes at restart the monitor stays active so you can go into the bios or select a different OS in the picker.

One more observation using the SSDT from Alex, before sleep I see devices under PCI with Thunderbolt@.

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 6.32.35 AM.png

After sleep, only the Alpine Ridge entry remains which I guess is the crux of the problem. How to get the Thunderbolt@ devices to reconnect after sleep. I see a couple other message threads in the SSDT section. I'll hunt around for potential solutions and report back if I find one. I am running Mojave, so small chance something may be fixed with an update.

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 7.37.11 AM.png

Last edited:
@nottooshabby

Thank you -- that's a helpful summary for everyone's benefit.

Hey everyone! Hope everyone is having an awesome holiday.
Currently running Opencore 0.6.4, and Big Sur 11.0.1

I've been experiencing lower audio out of Bluetooth devices, and headphones connected to the system, has anyone else been having onboard audio issues or inconsistencies in volume?

If I reboot the system volume seems to jump back up but sometimes it drops and 1/4 volume sounds like 0 and full volume sounds like 50 or so %

Last edited:
There was another syntax error in the config.plist which has been fixed in attached file.

Regarding spurious characters at the end of the Titan Ridge name, there's most likely a buffer size error in the Thunderbolt SSDT. If you post that file I can try to fix it.
Whoops. Thanks for that config file! I fixed the Thunderbolt issue by using your ThunderboltHackinDROM aml (from your OpenCore 0.6.4 redistribution) and changing RP05 to RP21 for the Daystrom Z370. I hope to try Big Sur on this machine one day, but IDK if that's possible without 0.6.4 and native NVRAM. Thanks again! I truly appreciate it.

Attachments

• config for GB-Z370-GA7 OC 0.6.0 and Mojave with edits for some cosmetic fixins.plist
    14.3 KB · Views: 42
  • SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM_ RP21.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hey, guys, I am trying to go from a Clover system to an Open Core system, following the mini guides and using the OC 0.6.4 folder.
I am using the F9i BIOS with the settings from the mini guides.
I have cleared all the Clover files from my system as suggested in the mini guide.
I have created my USB install drive and followed the steps to boot from the USB drive. I get through the boot picker, and I was able to reset NVRAM, but when I select the internal drive to run, I get a kernel panic. It gets to the message "System uptime in nanoseconds: 1065475538
Please go to https://panic.apple.com to report this panic"
and then nothing else happens...

Tried searching for this issue, found nothing helpful.
But the Verbose messages seem to indicate that the kexts are not loading?

I am using Mojave 10.14.6. as my current OS.

IMG_1999.JPG

Hello @Elias64Fr,

Salutations de la saison!

Yes, we have found the same result. System product names such as iMacPro1,1 (without iGPU) are able to play DRM content from the TV app.

Regarding Netflix, however:
  • Will not play in Safari (with iMac19,1)
  • It will play fine in Firefox (with iMac19,1)
Bonjour @CaseySJ

I've been experiencing Apple TV app video playing under iMac19,1 with Big Sur 11.1, with Full IGPU enabled for MB HDMI available output and also Thunderbolt DP output. No need to switch on iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS and no need to use shikigva=80 :confused:

On fully enabled IGPU, hardware acceleration is on IGPU when video played on screen connected to MB HDMI and on DGPU when on its output :).

Also work with IGPU fully disabled on BIOS.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your service in putting all this together and continuing to support the thread

I'm doing a clean install of Big Sur, because I'm leaving my GTX 1060, High Sierra, and Clover behind, but until there's some support for the Big Navi GPUs, I'm going to turning off the GPU slot in OpenCore, and just running off the iGPU in my i5-9600k
Do you have any insight on what the best system definition for this is going to be, and what changes I should make to the 0.6.4 EFI?
Sorry for asking for you to hold my hand, but I'm tryina get this first OpenCore build right!

Thank you so much for your service in putting all this together and continuing to support the thread

I'm doing a clean install of Big Sur, because I'm leaving my GTX 1060, High Sierra, and Clover behind, but until there's some support for the Big Navi GPUs, I'm going to turning off the GPU slot in OpenCore, and just running off the iGPU in my i5-9600k
Do you have any insight on what the best system definition for this is going to be, and what changes I should make to the 0.6.4 EFI?
Sorry for asking for you to hold my hand, but I'm tryina get this first OpenCore build right!
Hello,
I think best options for AMD GPU are:
iMacPro1,1 iGPU OFF
iMac19,1 iGPU ON

@CaseySJ

please help

Try enabling RebuildAppleMemoryMap in your config.plist to allow you to boot Linux.

1. All USB 3.0 Ports Not working
2. Intel Wifi And Bluetooth Not Working
3.Linux Drive on the Bootloaders is not booting at all as its only showing drive name as NoName and when trying to boot from the drive nothing happens Juts getting the error will share the screen for the same shortly.

Bonjour @CaseySJ

I've been experiencing Apple TV app video playing under iMac19,1 with Big Sur 11.1, with Full IGPU enabled for MB HDMI available output and also Thunderbolt DP output. No need to switch on iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS and no need to use shikigva=80 :confused:

On fully enabled IGPU, hardware acceleration is on IGPU when video played on screen connected to MB HDMI and on DGPU when on its output :).

Also work with IGPU fully disabled on BIOS.
Merry (day-after) Christmas!

Good to know: With platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless) and using on-board HDMI and on-board TB3, tv app works fine with iMac19,1.

However, yesterday @lerass provided this interesting post (I haven't tried the suggestion yet) to enable tv app using AMD GPU:
Bash:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -bool YES

Back