Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ

I did a clean install Big Sur on my pc, after running Catalina (and Mojave before) since June 2019 with Clover. I came here as usual to find the current guide, followed all the links on the first post but ended up at 0.6.1 guide only (I also missed the 0.6.3 link, as it's looking like a normal text), then I searched the thread but somehow couldn't find the 0.6.4 or 0.6.3 guides. So I followed Dortania's OpenCore guide. It ended up with reboot loops, and "12 minutes remaining freeze". I did tried different ways, usbs etc. (but with the same installer from AppStore) and it didn't worked out for hours. Then I stumbled upon 0.6.4 guide, then I downloaded Big Sur with Gib macOS, made a new USB stick, copied everything, used HackinDROM copier to clone the serials. Aaaand, it worked like a charm... no problems, no anything... just a straightforward clean install on the main NVME. One request; can you please update the first post with links to OC 0.6.4 Guide, so people may find the right guide easier.

Currently, looks like everything except Thunderbolt works. I checked with IORegistryExplorer but RP05 looks empty, searching Thunderbolt doesn't return any results. I don't own any TB device, but I have Firewire audio-interface with Apple adapters so at least there is something that needs TB technology to work that I can check. Can you help me to identify the problem with Thunderbolt?

Also EFI has some stuff probably I won't need, so I'm just thinking if it's stupid to remove them one by one checking if everything fails? (on a bootable USB drive clone of course) Do you have any advice for how should I go with making it more leaner? Maybe just waiting some time until you give a new EFI with new OC versions? I'm in no hurry, just to make sure I don't have stuff i don't need.

Anyways, thanks for the awesome guide and still answering everyone daily with every level of questions and solutions. Have a good one!

@srmusico @CaseySJ
Thanks for all your work on the Thunderbolt issues. I know Casey made I guide to flashing the TB3 controller, but since this one is on the motherboard (Asus X299 Deluxe II) and the only successful person to achieve had to physically alter it to flash it, I won’t risk it. I purchased a ThunderboltEXII/Dual, but it isn’t recognized in the BIOS or any system in my machines (WIN or MAC).

So my question is: Is there an SSDT that enables Thunderbolt Bus?
Is there an SSDT that can help the system recognize a Falcon Ridge card?

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ

I recently upgraded to Big Sur, and it looks like I can’t use my Thunderbolt monitor. I have a flashed Titan Ridge and everything worked prior to the upgrade to big sur. Any suggestions?
Sorry to hear that... Can you please describe exactly what works and what doesn't? For example, does the screen turn on, but not the speakers/microphone/camera/USB ports?

However, there may be little we can do about this. The most common remedies are:
  • Use a second monitor, which must not be a Thunderbolt monitor.
  • Use a DP or HDMI ghost plug to fool the system into thinking that a second monitor exists.

Hi @CaseySJ

I did a clean install Big Sur on my pc, after running Catalina (and Mojave before) since June 2019 with Clover. I came here as usual to find the current guide, followed all the links on the first post but ended up at 0.6.1 guide only (I also missed the 0.6.3 link, as it's looking like a normal text), then I searched the thread but somehow couldn't find the 0.6.4 or 0.6.3 guides. So I followed Dortania's OpenCore guide. It ended up with reboot loops, and "12 minutes remaining freeze". I did tried different ways, usbs etc. (but with the same installer from AppStore) and it didn't worked out for hours. Then I stumbled upon 0.6.4 guide, then I downloaded Big Sur with Gib macOS, made a new USB stick, copied everything, used HackinDROM copier to clone the serials. Aaaand, it worked like a charm... no problems, no anything... just a straightforward clean install on the main NVME. One request; can you please update the first post with links to OC 0.6.4 Guide, so people may find the right guide easier.
Glad to hear it! Because OpenCore updates are released almost like clockwork on the first Monday of every month, we keep updating the Quick Reference guide as follows (top of Post 1):
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 2.46.38 PM.png

Currently, looks like everything except Thunderbolt works. I checked with IORegistryExplorer but RP05 looks empty, searching Thunderbolt doesn't return any results. I don't own any TB device, but I have Firewire audio-interface with Apple adapters so at least there is something that needs TB technology to work that I can check. Can you help me to identify the problem with Thunderbolt?
It sounds like a BIOS issue. Please check the following BIOS settings:
  • Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
  • GPIO3 Force Pwr --> Enabled
Full set of Thunderbolt BIOS parameters is listed in Post 1.

Also EFI has some stuff probably I won't need, so I'm just thinking if it's stupid to remove them one by one checking if everything fails? (on a bootable USB drive clone of course) Do you have any advice for how should I go with making it more leaner? Maybe just waiting some time until you give a new EFI with new OC versions? I'm in no hurry, just to make sure I don't have stuff i don't need.
If the EFI setup taken from the OC 0.6.4 mini-guide is working, we should not change anything except for what is necessary. For example:
  • If you have a PCIe card or NVMe SSD that you would like to define in DeviceProperties, you may safely do so.
  • If you are switching to OpenIntelWireless drivers (absolutely NOT recommended at this time) you may follow the link at the top of the OC 0.6.4 mini-guide that takes you to the OpenIntelWireless mini-guide.

@srmusico @CaseySJ
Thanks for all your work on the Thunderbolt issues. I know Casey made I guide to flashing the TB3 controller, but since this one is on the motherboard (Asus X299 Deluxe II) and the only successful person to achieve had to physically alter it to flash it, I won’t risk it. I purchased a ThunderboltEXII/Dual, but it isn’t recognized in the BIOS or any system in my machines (WIN or MAC).

So my question is: Is there an SSDT that enables Thunderbolt Bus?
Is there an SSDT that can help the system recognize a Falcon Ridge card?
We have a collection of SSDTs that enable Thunderbolt Bus on Alpine Ridge controllers only. The collection is located here:

If the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II contains an Alpine Ridge controller, we can create an SSDT for that. Can you confirm if the controller is Alpine Ridge? Simply run Hackintool --> PCIe and look at the device table.

If you are running Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur and wish to use Antelope Audio devices, I don't think this will work.

If the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II contains an Alpine Ridge controller, we can create an SSDT for that. Can you confirm if the controller is Alpine Ridge? Simply run Hackintool --> PCIe and look at the device table.

If you are running Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur and wish to use Antelope Audio devices, I don't think this will work.
The motherboard is Alpine Ridge, but using the Titan Ridge SSDT also allowed the Antelope device to show up in the IOREG, as well as USB-C (no hot plug). I’m using High Sierra, looks like its the best OS to stick with for old and new devicies. BTW, Antelope working fine thru TB in Win 10, Antelope’s software just isn't full-featured on windows.

My Designare suddenly died :/
5 short beeps and no booting. Warranty service said it’s MB. As they do not have this MB anymore I feel they will try to offer me another model. Damn 2020... Second MB dies, (and two TVs) :(
in my experience, 5 beeps can also mean no display detected. do you have a different display you can connect?

Glad to hear it! Because OpenCore updates are released almost like clockwork on the first Monday of every month, we keep updating the Quick Reference guide as follows (top of Post 1):
View attachment 501427

It sounds like a BIOS issue. Please check the following BIOS settings:
  • Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
  • GPIO3 Force Pwr --> Enabled
Full set of Thunderbolt BIOS parameters is listed in Post 1.

If the EFI setup taken from the OC 0.6.4 mini-guide is working, we should not change anything except for what is necessary. For example:
  • If you have a PCIe card or NVMe SSD that you would like to define in DeviceProperties, you may safely do so.
  • If you are switching to OpenIntelWireless drivers (absolutely NOT recommended at this time) you may follow the link at the top of the OC 0.6.4 mini-guide that takes you to the OpenIntelWireless mini-guide.
I did do a clean BIOS settings before the setup with the settings from the post 1, starting with "load optimized defaults". I just restarted to BIOS (F9g) a minute ago and "somehow" Thunderbolt is missing from Settings -> IO section, normally it should be above USB Config., but it's not there. I hope it's something can be fixed with a CMOS reset or so. What should I do?

I just reloaded a working BIOS profile before (same as post 1), and Thunderbolt TM Configuration is where it should be. But after setting that (No Security, GPIO3 Force Pwr enabled), I still can't see the Thunderbolt in PCI or in IORegistryExplorer.

Last edited:
Not sure if someone posted this yet, but for me the Security Update 2020-001 for Catalina went smooth, no problems whatsoever, everything seems to be working for the Z390 Designare. Thanks again CaseySJ!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 3.36.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 3.36.01 PM.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 22
Back