Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Nope! It is like this and it work on OC. Made by an Russian dev.
The OpenCore version is using Base to identify the source bytes. In this case base is _isSingleUser, so OpenCore will search for the address of this symbol inside the kext com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily and replace the bytes at that address with B801000000C3.

I have switched to OpenCore so I haven't been keeping up with new developments on the Clover front. However, Clover Configurator --> Kernel and Kext Patches --> KextsToPatch has been adopting many of the OpenCore features such as mask-based search and replace.

The question is whether Clover has an equivalent for base. One possibility is the Procedure field. Have you already attempted to use the Procedure field?
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 11.23.32 AM.png

Hi @CaseySJ,

Just wanted to update regarding my boot issue. As a summary, my system will go blank after the boot process when the login screen is supposed to appear on cold boots (just shut down for a period of time, not with the PSU off). When I do a warm reboot, the login screen will appear.

Just for kicks, I typed in my password despite the screen being blank after a cold boot and it magically logs in! So for some reason during a cold boot, the login screen makes the display go blank but I can still enter my password and once logged in, the screen will reappear. So weird! Just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else is experiencing similar issues.
Interesting. On a cold boot when the screen is blank, what happens if you:
  • Turn off the monitor, then turn it on again?
  • Turn off the monitor and unplug it from the wall, then turn it back on?

Hi folks, used @CaseySJ's invaluable guide lots during the last year. Stuck with a bit of a basic problem though... in preparation for updating to Big Sur I cannot seem to update my BIOS. I'm stuck on F6. I've tried different USB sticks, different versions of the BIOS (specifically F7 and F9i), and different - although not all - USB ports on my mobo.

I boot into the BIOS, load up Q-Flash, the file is successfully verified, but then the flash progress sits at 0%... I can reboot and F6 loads up again so its like it is unable to budge my current firmware. Is there something obvious I'm missing like some sort of firmware lock? What would happened if I updated to BS without updating BIOS firmware?

Many thanks and top work as ever Casey!

Hi folks, used @CaseySJ's invaluable guide lots during the last year. Stuck with a bit of a basic problem though... in preparation for updating to Big Sur I cannot seem to update my BIOS. I'm stuck on F6. I've tried different USB sticks, different versions of the BIOS (specifically F7 and F9i), and different - although not all - USB ports on my mobo.

I boot into the BIOS, load up Q-Flash, the file is successfully verified, but then the flash progress sits at 0%... I can reboot and F6 loads up again so its like it is unable to budge my current firmware. Is there something obvious I'm missing like some sort of firmware lock? What would happened if I updated to BS without updating BIOS firmware?

Many thanks and top work as ever Casey!
That is quite odd. I'm sure you're already using:
  • FAT32 formatted USB flash disk
  • Ideally no larger than 64GB
I would suggest:
  • Perform CMOS Reset according to the manual (use flathead screwdriver to short the two designated pins on motherboard).
  • Then try BIOS update again.
  • If that fails, it would be necessary to contact Gigabyte Tech Support as this is a standard (non-Hackintosh) function of the motherboard.

That is quite odd. I'm sure you're already using:
  • FAT32 formatted USB flash disk
  • Ideally no larger than 64GB
I would suggest:
  • Perform CMOS Reset according to the manual (use flathead screwdriver to short the two designated pins on motherboard).
  • Then try BIOS update again.
  • If that fails, it would be necessary to contact Gigabyte Tech Support as this is a standard (non-Hackintosh) function of the motherboard.
Thanks, will try the CMOS Reset. Yeah used a couple of different FAT32 drives, all 16GB. Even formatted one on a Windows machine just incase but no dice!

I've opened a support ticket with Gigabyte so hopefully they'll be able to help if CMOS doesn't do the trick.

Ta

Concerning getting

So your findings are that Asus ThunderboltEX II works for you Zen Tour under an old firmware, WITHOUT plugging the header cable in the motherboard? Which driver bundle?
Well, I don’t remember what version at this moment, but one old.
Yes, Cable unplugged because old TH2 cable isnt compatible with Z390 mobos.

The key factor here is macOS High Sierra rather than any particular make/model of Thunderbolt AIC.
Nope, I’m using Mojave in this Z390 system.

I don’t know if affects the system that you have....
Its very weird.

If there is a way to test everything, I’m able to do it, also team viewer or whatever you want , to get this Antelope Driver work.
I have here a lot of systems to test , with all the TH cards (Titan Ridge, Alpine Ridge, Asus, Gigabyte....)

Also the possibility to flash all of them. so, if we can try to investigate Antelope driver, im here. Also have some users with Discrete and other ones who could bring them to me to test also that models.

Does the Antelope work on your High Sierra system? Or you don't have a Thunderbolt controller at the moment, but are thinking about buying one if it will work with Antelope?
If can help i can install other systems . maybe we could port the way that they work if in Sierra or High Sierra works.

Well, I dont remember what version at this moment, but one old.
Yes, Cable unplugged because old TH2 cable isnt compatible with z390 mobos.

Nop, Im using Mojave in this z390 system.

I dont know if affects the system that you have....
Its very weird.

If there is a way to test everything im able to do it, also team viewer or whatever you want , to get this Antelope Driver work.
I have here a lot of systems to test , with all the TH cards (Titan Ridge, Alpine Ridge, Asus, Gigabyte....)

Also the possibility to flash all of them. so, if we can try to investigate Antelope driver, im here. Also have some users with Discrete and other ones who could bring them to me to test also that models.
That card has two TB3 and two mDP-in ports. I've had great success with the add-in cards and onboard TB3 using genuine Apple TB3 to TB2 adapters. FWIW, I don't have any use for the TB2-shaped mDP ports on the Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge TB add-in cards.

Success with the Antelope TB3-attached devices seems to be elusive. It could be that sometimes, when one gets their particular problem solved, they disappear into the ether, never to report again at TonyMac until the next thing breaks.

Thanks, will try the CMOS Reset. Yeah used a couple of different FAT32 drives, all 16GB. Even formatted one on a Windows machine just incase but no dice!

I've opened a support ticket with Gigabyte so hopefully they'll be able to help if CMOS doesn't do the trick.

Ta
Can confirm CMOS reset did the trick... firmware updated, thanks! Now for the Big Sur update... I'm sure I'll be back :crazy:

Can confirm CMOS reset did the trick... firmware updated, thanks! Now for the Big Sur update... I'm sure I'll be back :crazy:
Hit that Load Optimized Defaults no matter what you think you are seeing. You'll thank me later.

Back