Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

My Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme - i9-9900 - XFX RX-580 8GB continues to be a pain when trying to update. M older system on OC 0.6.3 updated like a normal Mac from the update notice after multiple reboots and the "macintosh HD" disk showing in picker. It is good to go.

My newer Xtreme, however, is still horked ( a technical term ) after finally getting Big Sur installed. It would not update apps from the store though it showed them needing updates. I tried everything google suggested to no avail. I finally copied Logic Pro from my other machine to update it and that worked.

First, the download would not work from the software update preferences panel. I downloaded the combo update and ran that. It ran to the reboot, and I had the install disk in the OC picker. It ran through a cycle then rebooted. The picker only shows install partition and Big-Sur Data which was the working Big Sur.

This morning I loaded my Big Sur backup via external PCIexpress enclosure. I am trying to partition/erase my internal M2 drive. Disk utility won't let me kill the existing EFI partition. I have tried erasing, repairing and get an error about the EFI partition have a problem. Why can't i just tell the disk utility to repartition the disk from scratch which should create a new APFS container, etc., with a NEW EFI partition right ???

I'm at work now so can't post pix. I will try again when i get home. I do have the working backup external M2 PCIexpress. So why can't I completely start from scratch on the internal that won't update?

...I downloaded the combo update and ran that. It ran to the reboot, and I had the install disk in the OC picker. It ran through a cycle then rebooted. The picker only shows install partition and Big-Sur Data which was the working Big Sur...
Let's just focus on this single sentence.
  • Did the Combo Updater create a "Macintosh HD" boot option in OpenCore Picker?
  • After selecting it, did the update process start? Did the progress bar appear under the Apple logo? And shortly thereafter did the system reboot (which is normal)?
  • After the reboot, what boot options appeared in OpenCore Picker?
    • Macintosh HD and normal Big Sur volume?
      • If Macintosh HD volume appears, that is the one to select.
    • Or only Big Sur volume?
      • If only Big Sur volume appears, that is the one to select.
  • Then installation will continue.

Last edited:
on this build the Macintosh HD DID NOT APPEAR, just "installer" and Big-Sur Data

The iGPU configuration has not changed. It's set up as follows:
  • config-AMD-GPU.plist --> Platform ID 0x3E980003 (headless)
  • config-Intel-iGPU.plist --> Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless)
In both cases, iGPU will appear in IORegistryExplorer under iGPU@2 on the left side.
For some reason, I have a completely different value in there, even though I used the template file.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-16 um 16.41.40.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-16 um 16.41.40.png
    64 KB · Views: 46
Have you tried other streaming services, including YouTube?
Yes, I've tried with YT music. It's same. I was testing on Windows 10. There wasn't any issue with using Tidal. Also, I've tried to install again Catalina, then updated Big Sur again. It's same. Moreover, I couldn't find EFI bootloader in BIOS setup. Have you seen this kind of issue after installing OS?

Correct:
  • config-AMD-GPU.plist sets platform ID to headless and includes boot argument agdpmod=pikera. This boot argument is only necessary if using an AMD NAVI GPU (RX 5000 series).

Because everyone's use cases vary, there is no simple answer that applies generally. We do know that some system product names such as iMacPro1,1 (possibly MacPro7,1 as well) make better use of a discrete GPU. Some candidates to experiment with are:
  • iMacPro1,1
  • MacPro7,1 (but this will require a kext to suppress memory notification warnings)
  • iMac20,2 (this will still use iGPU for some tasks, but it may make good use of discrete GPU on some tasks)
I tried changing my System Product Name to iMac 20,2 but Apple TV+ protected content still wouldn't play. I swapped to iMacPro1,1 and now it plays perfectly. Thanks for the suggestions and info.

For some reason, I have a completely different value in there, even though I used the template file.
Platform IDs are entered in reverse byte order, so the values you see are actually correct:
  • 0x3E9B0007 is entered as 07009B3E

Yes, I've tried with YT music. It's same. I was testing on Windows 10. There wasn't any issue with using Tidal. Also, I've tried to install again Catalina, then updated Big Sur again. It's same. Moreover, I couldn't find EFI bootloader in Bios setup. Have you seen this kind of issue after installing OS?
I haven't noticed any audio delay or lag on any of my five Hackintoshes listed in my signature. They're all running Big Sur 11.1 now.
  • Is the delay occurring through an on-board audio port or through a Thunderbolt audio device or some other external audio device?
  • When you say you were testing on Windows 10, does this mean audio delay also occurs in Windows?

on this build the Macintosh HD DID NOT APPEAR, just "installer" and Big-Sur Data
Because both of your systems are AORUS Xtreme, one quick solution is to clone the first system's SSD to the new system's SSD (instead of trying to install Big Sur 11.1 directly on the new system). Then boot the new system with its own EFI folder that contains the proper serial numbers.

Back