Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Concerning Hot Swap. I noticed the fix is already in the template you guys made. Unfortunately it doesn’t work on my end :(
Just to confirm:
  • You enabled the Kernel patch shown below?
  • Then rebooted, but SATA hot swap does not work?
Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 4.35.49 AM.png

@CaseySJ Salutation !

OK thanks, I still have IGPU enabled with Headless. VideoProc HW decoder show me UHD 630 but no IGPU load on Intel Power gadget during test.

All updated. Still nothing. Must be the PCI Card. It could be that it broke before the update. I hadn't used it for a couple of weeks. The slots are working so it must be card itself. Thank you for your help, though!
I am still using PCIe cards that are almost a decade old. It's quite rare for them to go bad suddenly, but not impossible. Does the PCI card work under Windows or Linux?

@CaseySJ Salutation !

OK thanks, I still have IGPU enabled with Headless. VideoProc HW decoder show me UHD 630 but no IGPU load on Intel Power gadget during test.
That makes sense with iMacPro1,1. Because Xeon processors do not have iGPU, iMacPro1,1 should avoid iGPU system calls.

@cheetoh,

it isn't difficult, just delete the file

That makes sense with iMacPro1,1. Because Xeon processors do not have iGPU, iMacPro1,1 should avoid iGPU system calls.
This makes me wonder - in the most recent OC template, how is the iGPU configured? It's doesn't show up in any specs so I am guessing it's either in headless mode or disabled?

This makes me wonder - in the most recent OC template, how is the iGPU configured? It's doesn't show up in any specs so I am guessing it's either in headless mode or disabled?
The iGPU configuration has not changed. It's set up as follows:
  • config-AMD-GPU.plist --> Platform ID 0x3E980003 (headless)
  • config-Intel-iGPU.plist --> Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless)
In both cases, iGPU will appear in IORegistryExplorer under iGPU@2 on the left side.

The iGPU configuration has not changed. It's set up as follows:
  • config-AMD-GPU.plist --> Platform ID 0x3E980003 (headless)
  • config-Intel-iGPU.plist --> Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless)
In both cases, iGPU will appear in IORegistryExplorer under iGPU@2 on the left side.
I might have used the wrong template then. Another rookie mistake, ugh. I thought Intel and AMD refer to the CPU. I am going to convert my config to headless. Is the platform ID the only difference between the templates? I am guessing that the AMD template also includes the pikera boot arg which I added manually. Anything else?

In any way, has there been any new findings on which option is the best in combination with a powerful GPU? Last time I ran some tests my conclusion was that it might be best to disable the iGPU completely because only then apps like VideoProc would actually use the main GPU for rendering.

I might have used the wrong template then. Another rookie mistake, ugh. I thought Intel and AMD refer to the CPU. I am going to convert my config to headless. Is the platform ID the only difference between the templates? I am guessing that the AMD template also includes the pikera boot arg which I added manually. Anything else?
Correct:
  • config-AMD-GPU.plist sets platform ID to headless and includes boot argument agdpmod=pikera. This boot argument is only necessary if using an AMD NAVI GPU (RX 5000 series).
In any way, has there been any new findings on which option is the best in combination with a powerful GPU? Last time I ran some tests my conclusion was that it might be best to disable the iGPU completely because only then apps like VideoProc would actually use the main GPU for rendering.
Because everyone's use cases vary, there is no simple answer that applies generally. We do know that some system product names such as iMacPro1,1 (possibly MacPro7,1 as well) make better use of a discrete GPU. Some candidates to experiment with are:
  • iMacPro1,1
  • MacPro7,1 (but this will require a kext to suppress memory notification warnings)
  • iMac20,2 (this will still use iGPU for some tasks, but it may make good use of discrete GPU on some tasks)

Back