Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

So just to confirm: we need to flash X299X with the modified Z390 Designare firmware.
What if we have a modified version of the original firmware I uploaded? I recall I saw that the modified X299X firmware is not good, just want to make sure.
Glad to...see attached file.

So just to confirm: we need to flash X299X with the modified Z390 Designare firmware.
What if we have a modified version of the original firmware I uploaded? I recall I saw that the modified X299X firmware is not good, just want to make sure.
This SSDT can be used with anything:
  • Original firmware
  • Modified original firmware
  • Modified Z390 Designare firmware
In other words, this SSDT is independent of firmware.

Understood. I thought firmware needs to be modified so that we will get full TB3 function.

This SSDT can be used with anything:
  • Original firmware
  • Modified original firmware
  • Modified Z390 Designare firmware
In other words, this SSDT is independent of firmware.

Understood. I thought firmware needs to be modified so that we will get full TB3 function.
Enabling Thunderbolt Bus is optional. Please see this guide in the Quick Reference spoiler at the post of Post 1 to decide whether you should flash the firmware:

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 4.22.30 PM.png

Is there an update to OC 0.6.4 guide? seems a little more involved than clover.

Thanks! I have TB3 raid drive so I need to enable full TB3 function.
I'll give a try on X299X with flashed modified Z390 Designare firmware with the SSDT in post #28278
Enabling Thunderbolt Bus is optional. Please see this guide in the Quick Reference spoiler at the post of Post 1 to decide whether you should flash the firmware:

View attachment 501055

Isn't it possible to use the Thunderbolt as USB 3.1 ports?
Or Daisy chain?
I have an USB-C monitor and would like to use the Desginare feature.
DisplayPort from graphic card to DisplayPort onboard and Thunderbolt to USB-c monitor.
And I would like to use the USB Ports on the back of the monitor. But they are not working when the uplink is attached on the Thunderbolt port.
USB-A to USB-C on my monitor works.

Thunderbolt hardware is presented in my hardware specs on macOS.

Edit: OC 0.6.4 works pretty well and my slow boot is fixed.

Edit 2: Is it safe to use f9i BIOS version?
My Thunderbolt ports –and their adjacent USB ports– are all working.

F9i is working great for me. FWIW, Thunderbolt hotswaps just fine for me without modified firmware. My BIOS settings has "Thunderbolt Security" set to User Authorization. YMMV...

** OpenCore 0.6.4 EFI for Designare Z390 **

I'm just wondering why you include OpenUsbKbDxe.efi in the Drivers section, when according to the OpenCore website, and I quote, it is "not recommended and even harmful on Ivy Bridge and newer"?

It was killing my keyboard at the EFI menu level, and it only worked when I deleted this driver.

Not to mention that at one point, WIndows would keep booting into a keyboard selection menu and I couldn't get past it until the only recourse left was to restore the Microsoft EFI. I suspect this driver was also responsible.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering why you include OpenUsbKbDxe.efi in the Drivers section, when according to the OpenCore website, and I quote, it is "not recommended and even harmful on Ivy Bridge and newer"?

It was killing my keyboard at the EFI menu level, and it only worked when I deleted this driver.

Not to mention that at one point, WIndows would keep booting into a keyboard selection menu and I couldn't get past it until the only recourse left was to restore the Microsoft EFI. I suspect this driver was also responsible.

Just want to comment on this.

I checked CaseySJ's OC 0.6.4 folder. The OpenUsbKbDxe.efi driver is in the "drivers" folder, however, it is not activated. Meaning, it is not listed in the config.plist > UEFI > Drivers. He probably forgot to remove it. But there is no way that driver is doing something wrong to your boot picking. But I can't be certain.

Besides, KeySupport is enabled, so OpenUsbKbDxe.efi is not necessary, especially not for your system. So you may remove it, if you want to.

It seems like Security Update 2020-007 Mojave has fixed that annoying screen freeze that happens when you have UAD Software for Universal Audio interfaces installed. Please try it and report...

Back