Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @CaseySJ

thanks for the new version 0.64. after updating and booting the system i started to receive this message:

Imagem 1.jpg

What can it be ?

Everything here looks fine. Some questions:
  • Which version of OpenCore are you using? 0.6.3 or the brand new 0.6.4?
  • Which version of BIOS are you running? We recommend F9g or later with BOOT --> CFG-Lock set to Disabled.
  • If you insert a USB boot disk in the system (any USB flash disk with an EFI partition) and go to BIOS Setup, you can capture screenshots by pressing F12. A .bmpfile will be saved to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk, which can be converted to JPEG using Pixelmator, Gimp, or other photo editor.
    • Can you please post a BIOS screenshot of the Settings page that shows the various IGPU settings (and other settings)?
  • Do you have any Thunderbolt devices connected?
  • Do you have a Thunderbolt monitor connected?
I'm using OC 0.6.3, BIOS F9g with CFG unlocked. No TB devices or monitors are connected. Here are the screenshots of various settings.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 67
@CaseySJ
  • two commands where used
    • sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi : to check if the chip was detected by the flashrom tool,​
    • sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi -r mx25v8035f-down-orig-1.bin : to read and Back-up chip memory​
  • same replay if we run the commas several times,
  • yes i read the guide and followed the instructions,
  • yes I also tried overwriting the chip id ... even if it mentioned that mx25v8005 is supported, I do not think that is the case :| ! please find attached CLI output when I try to overload the chip ID.View attachment 499863
the chip is part of the list when i type 'flashrom -L'

BTW on the MODO I have another chip (25L25673G) and with that one I can make a backup ! for this one, the binary is about 32M :lol:o_O
Hi @CaseySJ !

so it was not plug and play but quite fun and lil bit easy to make it! indeed my chip was not recognized by Flashrom, so it was necessary, based on the chip datasheet, to add it manually in "flashchip.h & flashchip.c" and recompile the code ! now a can read/write and verify chip memory.

if you still agree to help me by doing your magic :thumbup:, here is the binary to patch for thunderbolt activation and also some screenshots to help you making the SSDT.

Thanks again for your help.

aboutThisMac_PrintScreen.png

IORegistryExplorer_printscreen.png

Attachments

• mx25v8035f_mem_dump-orig.bin.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
Hi @CaseySJ !

so it was not plug and play but quite fun and lil bit easy to make it! indeed my chip was not recognized by Flashrom, so it was necessary, based on the chip datasheet, to add it manually in "flashchip.h & flashchip.c" and recompile the code ! now a can read/write and verify chip memory.

if you still agree to help me by doing your magic :thumbup:, here is the binary to patch for thunderbolt activation and also some screenshots to help you making the SSDT.

Thanks again for your help.
That heroic effort deserves commendation! Attached ZIP contains two modified versions of the Intel Quartz Canyon NUC Thunderbolt firmware. Please try MOD-1 first. If there are issues with device connection on cold boot or warm boot or wake-from-sleep, then try MOD-2.

After flashing, please post the IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...) so I can create the Thunderbolt DROM SSDT.

UPDATE:
  • Because your Thunderbolt controller is on RP05, please try the attached Thunderbolt SSDT (both files needed).
  • Are you going to submit those Flashrom changes to the developers?

Attachments

• Intel Quartz Canyon TB3 Mods.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 62
  • SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM-Intel-Quartz-Canyon.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 50
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 59
Last edited:
Please note that your Internal Graphics controller is Disabled. It needs to be Enabled (and not Auto).

View attachment 500226

Also, please try upgrading to OpenCore 0.6.4 by following this guide strictly (with USB Flash Disk):
The problem has been that the computer doesn’t boot up consistently when Internal Graphics is enabled. When I disable it, then it boots without issues.

I’ll try the OC update as well when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Hey there @CaseySJ -and maybe @Stork can weigh-in on this:

If I have a binned i9 9900KS that has core-sync ability via its own accord and the BIOS setting, do I still need the Contents/MacOS/CpuTscSync kext?

Also, I have a question about a conflict for this dGPU-only setup in relation to the Dortania guide under NVRAM<Add (GPU-Specific boot-args)< "agdpmod=pikera: Used for disabling boardID on Navi GPUs(RX 5000 series), without this you'll get a black screen. Don't use if you don't have Navi, i.e., Polaris and Vega cards shouldn't use this."

What say you? PS, FWIW, I'm still using shikigva=128 for my setup that you see on the left.

Well, I tuned up a new OC 0.6.4 AMD dgpu folder, and it seems that it is no longer quite compatible with Mojave and Thunderbolt-connected UAD audio devices. Meanwhile, I've reverted to 0.6.3.

Last edited:
Long Shot: Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area who successfully (and confidently) flashed their Thunderbolt firmware who might be willing to help me do the same on my machine? I believe this is the only way to get Antelope Audio interfaces to work via TB since their driver relies on the Thunderbolt Bus. A bit out of my depth on that process.

Back