Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Great! That means something might be wrong with the EFI partition of the internal Mojave SSD.
  • Please mount EFI partition of Mojave SSD.
  • Compress and upload the CLOVER folder. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist before compressing and uploading the CLOVER folder. Be sure to keep the original config.plist safe.
I have never understood how to repair the Thunderbolt firmware. The attachment is the Thunderbolt firmware of my ThinkPad t580 jhl6240. Can you help me fix it? If you can, please advise why this is done. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• T580.zip
    226.2 KB · Views: 59
Solved!

Following your recommendations here's what I did:

- after changing SecureBootModel to DEFAULT, mac didn't boot up.

Used USB Pendrive with EFI Opencore, to make changes on Mac config.plist

- Tried option 2, (but at that time forgot to enable the created patch), mac didn't boot up.

After a couple reboots, and without any reason Bluetooth came to life! Still don't understand why.

Meanwhile noticed that still had OpenCore 0.6.2 instead of 0.6.3, so followed your mini guide "Procedure for In-Place Upgrade of OpenCore from Earlier Version to New Version"

After update to OpenCore 0.6.3, noticed that the patch for Aquantia 10Gbps Ethernet was not enabled, so after enabling it and a restart, everything works now.

Thank you!
Bom dia/good morning @ummario,& @CaseySJ,

Just to confirm that I was already using this AQC107 patch and it works great but I'm using SecureBootModel set to "Disabled" - is there an issue with this @CaseySJ ?

@ummario If you haven't done so, please update to latest xtreme BIOS F9i, it's got "CFC LOCK" option in bios (finally!) and in combination with latest Big Sur has given me a boost in Cinebench & lower idle temperatures of around 36ºC!
Captura de ecrã 2020-11-26, às 10.02.37.png

@CaseySJ, my build has been going strong, but lately it's taking a long time to boot up, as long as 2 minutes.
Any advise is much appreciated. thanks.

@CaseySJ, my build has been going strong, but lately it's taking a long time to boot up, as long as 2 minutes.
If you've installed any software that adds extensions that load at boot, that could be a contributing factor. Keep in mind that software generally won't tell you that it's doing this like Little Snitch, I believe, or drivers for some hardware. External hardware you may have attached to the system could also be a culprit.

If Mojave was a fresh install, then an in-place upgrade to Catalina would be perfectly okay. But you would need to follow the Mojave-to-Catalina upgrade guide carefully. To unlock MSR 0xE2 (CFG-Lock) it is strongly recommended to install BIOS F9g in which this is already done by default. To find BIOS F9g, open the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1 and select the 9th bullet in Section 1.
Ok so I followed the update instructions, made the Boot test USB, deleted the extra kexts from /Library/Extensions and rebuilt the kext cache, then booted from the USB bootloader into my Mojave disk (which is a CCC backup). I got as far as bringing up the Catarina installer, but then it said Catarina couldn't be installed on the disk because it wasn't formatted AFPS. Turns out my CCC backups were not being formatted as APFS for some reason, and the disk was Journaled. So unable to convert the disk, I formatted it as APFS and redid the CCC backup from my main disk. I rebooted and tried to boot into the disk again but it failed. I made another USB to see if that was the problem. Then I realised I'd forgotten to delete the kexts this time. So I booted back into the disk, deleted the kexts and ran sudo kextcache. When I booted again it loaded for a bit then gave me the no-entry sign. I reformatted the disk, did the CCC clone again, deleted the kexts and ran sudo kextcache again, and when I try and boot from the USB bootloader I get the no entry sign again. I tried removing the USB and just booting from the drive and I get "error loading kernel cache".

Any ideas?

** OpenCore 0.6.3 EFI for Designare Z390 **
Supports Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Requires OpenCore Configurator 2.16.1.0 or Newer

@CaseySJ , I'm wondering if there is a guide to properly migrate from Clover to OC? Does it simply boil down to manually rebuilding/cleaning up of the EFI folder and config.plist file? Can we reuse the config.plist that has been used with clover, or does it require creating a completely new one?

Are you running Clover or OpenCore? Which version?

If running the latest version of OpenCore, try disabling AudioDxe.EFI from OpenCore Configurator —> UEFI —> Drivers.

Ok so I followed the update instructions, made the Boot test USB, deleted the extra kexts from /Library/Extensions and rebuilt the kext cache, then booted from the USB bootloader into my Mojave disk (which is a CCC backup). I got as far as bringing up the Catarina installer, but then it said Catarina couldn't be installed on the disk because it wasn't formatted AFPS. Turns out my CCC backups were not being formatted as APFS for some reason, and the disk was Journaled. So unable to convert the disk, I formatted it as APFS and redid the CCC backup from my main disk. I rebooted and tried to boot into the disk again but it failed. I made another USB to see if that was the problem. Then I realised I'd forgotten to delete the kexts this time. So I booted back into the disk, deleted the kexts and ran sudo kextcache. When I booted again it loaded for a bit then gave me the no-entry sign. I reformatted the disk, did the CCC clone again, deleted the kexts and ran sudo kextcache again, and when I try and boot from the USB bootloader I get the no entry sign again. I tried removing the USB and just booting from the drive and I get "error loading kernel cache".

Any ideas?
When we do an in-place upgrade to Catalina, we must boot Mojave from the same disk that needs to be upgraded. Once the bootable backup is made and verified, the backup disk should be disconnected.

@CaseySJ , I'm wondering if there is a guide to properly migrate from Clover to OC? Does it simply boil down to manually rebuilding/cleaning up of the EFI folder and config.plist file? Can we reuse the config.plist that has been used with clover, or does it require creating a completely new one?
Sure, please see Quick Reference spoiler at the top of post 1. You’ll find a reference to “Replace Clover with OpenCore” in Section 1 inside the spoiler.

P.S. Please do not quote those guides in their entirety. See the text just below the title of the post.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Cubase, but does it have an option to explicit choose a GPU when more than one is available? Or does it choose a GPU automatically?

If Cubase is choosing the AMD RX 580, isn't that a good thing?
The fact is that it doesn’t give me options. Simply ask to update drivers. Also, some new plugins have whiteout gui. Something with the gpu is unsupported by the system

Back